Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got tired of cleaning my car only to see the crusted on brake dust on inside of my rims. Since I'm almost at 6k miles it was time to rotate the tires and I decided to give the rims and the wheel wells along with the rest of the exterior a good cleaning. I ran into a snag after trying to get the car on jack stands, but eventually worked it out with my son's help. He actually had to purchase me another set of jack stands that had a shallow center section that I could sit under the pinch weld joint along the rocker panels. The set I had actually had a deep V in the top of the stand that would have rubbed, scratched or gouged the side of rocker panel had I tried to use them.

So, how do you clean the inside of your rims and how do you keep them clean? It seems like there might be an easier way, let me hear how you keep 'em clean.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I took them off for a good scrub and wax. Then installed ceramic brake pads all around. The hopes are to keep the brake dust mess from happening from the start.

And since the car only has 200 miles and is parked for the winter there wasn't much to clean up.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I wash the inside of the rim every time I wash my car, jost reach thru and clean them.
x2. I just spray/soak them with a 3:1 mixture of simple green from a spray
bottle. Then blast them with the hose. That gets about 90% and the rest I
get reaching in with a soapy micro fiber sponge. I do the wheel wells the
same way.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I wash the inside of the rim every time I wash my car, jost reach thru and clean them.
same here but not everytime for sure, actually once since aug 2010, has to catch my eye :thumbsup:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reach through method really wasn't getting them the way I hoped, but maybe if I stay on top of it then it won't be as bad. Thanks so far guys.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
When I first got the car (Nov 2008) it ended up sitting for the winter in the garage on jackstands. So I used that time to remove the wheels and wax the crap out the insides of the mags.
Now, after 7000 miles a quick shot of the hose cleans them out perfectly.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I take my wheels off twice a year, scrub the backs of them, clean the wheel wells, and put the wheels back on.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Clean them up really good and give them a good wax. Or you can "seal" the wheels with a wheel sealant product, check autopia and related websites for such product.

I use SwissVax wheel wax. Wax them up really good and then afterwards all I do is run a wet rag through the inside and the brake dust just comes right off.

wax is the trick though

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Have a long narrow cleaning brush that gets to the inside areas.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Wow, I thought I was anal about my cars, but I've never worried about the back side of the wheels- - you guys have me reconsidering.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I put Zanio on shortly after I got the car over 2 years ago, now you just wipe them off with a damp rag.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really wish I would've asked this question before I finished the clean up because I would have waxed the heck out of them. I really appreciate all the input, I especially liked the 3:1 simple green mixture tip which I'm thinking about trying next time but will it affect the clear coat finish on the classic wheels? I also liked the the Daytona Speed Wheel Brush and need to find one of those at a local parts store sometime. I think I'll probably end up taking the wheels off a couple times a year for a good old fashioned cleaning and next time I'm bringing the wax. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Like a lot of others I wax the inside of the wheels. Usually twice a year or so I'll pull the wheels and give them a good cleaning and re-wax. Weekly washes usually keeps the insides clean.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use brushes and a rag I just stick my hand in there and wipe it down then I use armoralls wheel protectant on it so its easier to clean next time

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I really wish I would've asked this question before I finished the clean up because I would have waxed the heck out of them. I really appreciate all the input, I especially liked the 3:1 simple green mixture tip which I'm thinking about trying next time but will it affect the clear coat finish on the classic wheels? I also liked the the Daytona Speed Wheel Brush and need to find one of those at a local parts store sometime. I think I'll probably end up taking the wheels off a couple times a year for a good old fashioned cleaning and next time I'm bringing the wax. Thanks guys.
Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but it is EITHER Simple Green to clean, OR a good coat of wax followed by only using a damp, wet rag. I suspect if you wax, then clean with Simple Green, you will be washing off the wax...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts