Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let me start by saying I know after I received the parts that I mistakenly ordered the wrong part number. I took full responsibility in my mistake owned up to it and contacted the company I ordered from with my issue. Now the background: I ordered LTH from Just bolt-on performance parts they were Corsa performance and they also had a 5% off thing going on I was excited to slap some LTH with catless mids on my 2017 RT 5.7 A8. Those that own the 5.7 know that HP gains are at a premium so the commitment to go LTH is a big deal and who doesn't love a discount. Well not an excuse but I did the search on their site and put in my cars info: Shop Cars, Dodge Challenger, RT 5.7, 2015-2020. A list of options came up I then checked the box for Corsa because I knew they were on discount. Well multiple options came up like just headers without mids or with mids or even with or without high flow cats. I saw the options and opened other pages for com-parables like we all do. I decided to go LTH with catless mids and with the discount it was a great price. I clicked the photo of the catless and moved on threw in my paypal and waited patiently for my product to arrive. I received part number 16109 and didn't think twice about it. Went to look at the install instructions for my order and boom it hit me no where did it mention 5.7 in the instructions or description for my order. I looked back and realized I ordered 16109 but should of clicked on 16108 for my 5.7 the fitment was wrong for the headers and the included midpipes...I messed up. I was so dialed into making sure I got the catless mids that I didn't realize at time of order I clicked the other product.

Now I contacted the JBO Team as they sign their emails and shared multiple emails back and forth I was informed of the following:

"If the item is eligible for a return, you will be responsible for the return shipping cost, and a 20% restocking fee. You can read more about our Return Policy here. The system you purchased does not mention fitment for a 5.7L V8 vehicle anywhere in the product title, vehicle fitment, description, or order confirmation emails that you had received, prior to us shipping our the order"

Now I had only opened the boxes and did not disrupt anything so just boxed them back up and returned them at over $100 shipping. Prior to shipping them back I spoke with a sales guy from JBO and explained the situation on how I ordered the wrong part and needed the correct one for my 5.7. I said yes I can see your policy is "subject to" a 20% restocking fee (yes I read the policy before the call) and I even said look it was my bad I get that I am paying for the return shipping but I am taking the exact price item as a replacement oh I forgot to mention the 16109 was priced exactly as much to the cent as the 16108. I also mentioned that using the search on their own website allowed me to pick an item that was the incorrect fitment so we both have some fault here I even sent him a link to confirm. Well of-course before he responded he corrected the website so that no longer comes up as an option for the 5.7 that's great for the next guy but makes me look like more of an idiot. I did multiple searches before his reply and it came up every time but when I tried after 16109 was not an option. He threw it in my face saying that option does not come up for that fitment Here is his response:

"The part that was ordered, does not appear in the results for the vehicle fitment link you provided. We take pride in providing excellent customer service on each and every order."

I mentioned that I was a member here and would love to continue to speak of their great customer service and not post about the flip side of how I was treated. He just said that following company policy was not "bad customer service" well given the circumstances I beg to differ. Well let me give you his direct quote:

"Following the company policy, does not mean bad customer service. With that being said, we are willing to reduce the restocking fee from 20% down to 10%, as long as the correct system is purchased prior. We currently only have 1 of these systems in stock as of this moment."

Now here's the thing we love our cars and we are all human and make mistakes. I never tried to hide the fact that I didn't look at the fitment after I clicked the wrong order link. I was more then willing to cover the cost of shipping for my mistake even though the website should of never gave me the option at that point. Here was my response and I look to my peers for judgment:

"Well just charge me your 20% and I will order from another company after you return my purchase $ minus the 20% I never said it was bad customer service I said I could post about great customer service or about how I was treated as a customer. Why would I pay for you to put something back on the shelf to make full price on and turn around and support you to take more off your shelf. It could of been handled with me paying the shipping cost you sending the replacement and both still getting what we wanted in the first place. Your policies are in place so people do not take advantage I was not taking advantage and that should of been recognized. "

They did process my return and refunded me taking out the 20% on top of the shipping I paid for to return so it basically cost me about $370 to learn my lesson and no LTH.

Again I ask what your thoughts? Would you have just reordered with them? Would you support them? or on the flip side do I deserve it and policy is policy I have thick skin and respect my peers opinions???

-Dogg

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
217 Posts
I've been in some form of customer service most of my life and have run my own retail businesses too. I can see both sides, but would definitely lean towards yours, assuming of course you went into the situation calm and friendly and not demanding, which based on your post sounds like you did.

I always tell people, when people come to me demanding something and being rude, I will make sure to do the BARE MINIMUM required, and in those cases would definitely stick by whatever the policy is. But come at me calm and friendly, and I will go above and beyond to help out. The fact that you went in admitting some fault and accepting the return shipping cost means a lot. That to me would of been enough.

If I were the rep, I would of had no problem saying, "ok, since you're buying the correct set from us, I'll go ahead and waive the restocking fee". Personally I hate restocking fees, but owning my own retail, I understand the need, but only in SOME cases. Even so, I've never charged them for anything myself.

So yeah, it may not be "bad" customer service since it's their policy, but it's also not "good" service. They should realize this. Dealing with cars and parts, it's extremely easy for a number to be off or there being a fitment issue. Knowing that, if I hear about a company like that one which stands by a restocking fee NO MATTER WHAT, I'm going to stay away from them. It's not worth the risk. As a business owner I understand that, and they should too, but unfortunately it doesn't sound like they do.

To answer your final question. NO, I would not have reordered them. I would of tried to escalate the matter up higher if possible, and if they still refused to waive the ENTIRE restocking fee, I'd do exactly what you did. Tell them fine, I'll go buy them elsewhere, and make sure if anyone ever asks me to recommend a place to buy headers I'd be sure to tell them to stay away from them since in the event of a mistake, they'll just screw you over.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been in some form of customer service most of my life and have run my own retail businesses too. I can see both sides, but would definitely lean towards yours, assuming of course you went into the situation calm and friendly and not demanding, which based on your post sounds like you did.

I always tell people, when people come to me demanding something and being rude, I will make sure to do the BARE MINIMUM required, and in those cases would definitely stick by whatever the policy is. But come at me calm and friendly, and I will go above and beyond to help out. The fact that you went in admitting some fault and accepting the return shipping cost means a lot. That to me would of been enough.

If I were the rep, I would of had no problem saying, "ok, since you're buying the correct set from us, I'll go ahead and waive the restocking fee". Personally I hate restocking fees, but owning my own retail, I understand the need, but only in SOME cases. Even so, I've never charged them for anything myself.

So yeah, it may not be "bad" customer service since it's their policy, but it's also not "good" service. They should realize this. Dealing with cars and parts, it's extremely easy for a number to be off or there being a fitment issue. Knowing that, if I hear about a company like that one which stands by a restocking fee NO MATTER WHAT, I'm going to stay away from them. It's not worth the risk. As a business owner I understand that, and they should too, but unfortunately it doesn't sound like they do.

To answer your final question. NO, I would not have reordered them. I would of tried to escalate the matter up higher if possible, and if they still refused to waive the ENTIRE restocking fee, I'd do exactly what you did. Tell them fine, I'll go buy them elsewhere, and make sure if anyone ever asks me to recommend a place to buy headers I'd be sure to tell them to stay away from them since in the event of a mistake, they'll just screw you over.
Yes I was calm as I created the issue but felt like I at least requested a reasonable outcome. Nice to get another prospective especially a retail business owner. I did not ask to talk to someone above because I felt it was an obvious solution. I guess I should of escalated it...

-Dogg

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't order from them again and I would talk to PayPal on the situation cuz it was a mistake mostly on there part as it being a option on the wrong car.

For them to fix it then screw you when you were willing to get the correct item, I call that bad customer service you are out a good amount.

I would open a clam with PP and see if they can help you recover any of the restocking fee or even the shipping costs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts