Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have about 1600 miles on my Challenger, but have already noticed a huge problem. How the heck do you get this car up beyond about 50% of its power? I mean, at 70 mph in 6th gear, it is turning around 1600 rpm. You can't even get it into 6th until at least 60, and that is pushing it. This car wants to RUN. Putting it in third when merging onto a bypass, give it half throttle, and you are running over whatever is in front of you in seconds. Plus, my car is Hemi Orange, so I know that if I speed, even a little, the police will nail me since they could spot me in a line of traffic from Jupiter. The SRT guys must just go insane....

I guess I need to find some track time somewhere. I feel like I am doing an injustice to this car by keeping the leash so tight on it. I am not really into drag racing (although I do enjoy the adrenaline rush), but would love to go out and run this car through the gears like it begs to be driven. Anyone know of some track opportunities near SouthEast PA? I am about 25 minutes from Maple Grove Raceway, so I'll be heading there soon for the drag racing action, but would love some road racing track tips.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
yup! take it to the track and run it through the gears! its LEGAL!!! and a blast!

i can actually get mine into 6th around 50 but im lugging it.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
DB,

You need to do a little research to find some nice country roads with hills & turns to give your baby some exercise. I'm in Lower Bucks County PA. I like the drive along the Delaware River (up to the Delaware Water Gap). You're always using the gear box on this road. Another drive I like would be anywhere in the Lancaster PA area. Those country roads are fun but watch out for the one horsepower Amish buggy. :lol:

Rob

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to check those out, Proximo. There is one at Pocono and another at New Jersey park, neither of which are too far from me. Man, that would be sweet!! Thanks!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I only have about 1600 miles on my Challenger, but have already noticed a huge problem. How the heck do you get this car up beyond about 50% of its power? I mean, at 70 mph in 6th gear, it is turning around 1600 rpm. You can't even get it into 6th until at least 60, and that is pushing it. This car wants to RUN. Putting it in third when merging onto a bypass, give it half throttle, and you are running over whatever is in front of you in seconds. Plus, my car is Hemi Orange, so I know that if I speed, even a little, the police will nail me since they could spot me in a line of traffic from Jupiter. The SRT guys must just go insane....

I guess I need to find some track time somewhere. I feel like I am doing an injustice to this car by keeping the leash so tight on it. I am not really into drag racing (although I do enjoy the adrenaline rush), but would love to go out and run this car through the gears like it begs to be driven. Anyone know of some track opportunities near SouthEast PA? I am about 25 minutes from Maple Grove Raceway, so I'll be heading there soon for the drag racing action, but would love some road racing track tips.
I know exactly what you mean.:) They definitely need to "stretch their legs" once in a while.:bigthumb: I remember not long after getting my 6 speed and had made my first spirited run through the gears. When I leveled her out at cruising speed, I looked down at the speedometer and it read well over 90mph (in a 50 zone no less).:yikes: The car actually felt as if it wanted to go faster, LOL. I thought to myself, this car doesn't even feel like its going that fast....which is both a good and a bad thing:guiness:

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
The safest places on the road seem to be ones that are fairly deserted, like a country road where you can see what is ahead of you. Gunning it going up a hill is a bad idea, especially if there is a cruiser on the other side of that hill. Another place is interstate on ramps. I go purposely slow for the turn in, usually in 1st gear, then to slam the pedal down and get the 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 to chirp!! No better feeling. :smokin:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yea Rob Lancaster area is nice I'am originally from there now live one hour south in Maryland. Those country roads are nice but I want to add in addition to those 1hp buggies you also have to keep your eyes peeled for what those 1hp buggies leave on the road too. Definently at times feel like going through a slalom course :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Lookup NASA (www.nasaproracing.com) and SCCA (www.scca.org). Sign up for their HPDE events. You won't regret it. If you can (don't know if it's in your area), sign up for Hooked on Driving events (Hooked On Driving - Leading National Performance Driving Program, High Performance Driving Experience, High Performance Driving School). You'll not only become a better driver, but you'll have more fun than you'll ever imagine.

I highly recommend the HoD events.
Great info, Promixo. I spent the last 30 minutes tooling around the HPD site. This is definitely on my to-do list. Thanks!

·
Registered
668 Posts
6th gear is like over over drive at 60-70 mhp you not even close to the power band....thats like trying to start in 6th gear

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in Chester County, and do frequently head deep into Berks county to drive. Too much traffic around me here. And while the scenery is certainly pleasant and the traffic lighter in Berks, I still need to really wring this sucker out. Thought about doing the Silver State Classic in Nevada (but really far away, not enough time now to do it). That Texas mile thing sounds like a blast, if only it were a little closer.

I have dodged my share of "amish patties" over the years :). I have also been driving along at a good clip at night only to run up on a set of flashing red lights that I thought were a mile or so ahead of me. Those buggies should have revolving purple lights on top of them or something at night....

·
Registered
191 Posts
I like to drive my car up in northeastern Wisconsin.

Really typically quite deserted, minimal if any law enforcement around. All you have to do is be careful of whitetail deer crossing the road.

In not going to live in fear of opening the car up once in a while. Like passing a semi on the interstate, I nail it pretty good and then settle her back down. If I get pulled over I'd make up some BS about the semi "apparently not seeing me so I took evasive action". I've never had a moving traffic violation in my life so many I'd be let off the hook.

Maybe not.

I wish it would stop snowing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
As suggested, find a obscure country road or a on ramp to a highway and do what I do. Put it in 2nd, smash it to the floor and hold it, shift at 5000 rpms and in no time you're backing off 80mph ... But no carbon build up :)):browsmiley:

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I live in a small town of about 15,00 folks. It's mostly farmland surrounding the place. I've found a few roads that are straight for around a 1/2 mile long (and no houses) where I can let it rip. I recently rediscovered one that is over a mile long, but a pickup with trailer was parked on the wrong side of the road, so I kept it legal (that time).

·
Registered
89 Posts
DB,

You need to do a little research to find some nice country roads with hills & turns to give your baby some exercise. I'm in Lower Bucks County PA. I like the drive along the Delaware River (up to the Delaware Water Gap). You're always using the gear box on this road. Another drive I like would be anywhere in the Lancaster PA area. Those country roads are fun but watch out for the one horsepower Amish buggy. :lol:

Rob

Pushed a '98 Trans Am to 145 MPH on I-78 once - doggone car a 1/2 mile ahead of me moved into my lane and ended that. Hit 160 in the Challenger on a local highway at 2:30 AM. Good thing the R/T speedo stops there or I might not be typing now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just take her out on the autobahn and let her loose once a week when the weather is clear. She likes her casual 140mph strolls. Good news is that there are no 1hp buggies to dodge its legal and no carbon build up.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I have a friend who is a State Trooper and drives a Charger. I asked him to drive mine and 'air it out'. When I thought he was doing 80, I asked him how fast we were going = "140" he said. Does she have any left I asked? "Plenty but we've got an exit/entrance ahead so I'll back her down."
The guy is a Supervisor and wanted to know if he could use it some time because it was no comparison to his Charger. I just laughed and told him only if I come along.
Man, the Challenger is so smooth. It was glued to the road and pulling at the reins for more. Are we lucky or what??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts