Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my new to me car out today for 2nd time, I thought I had traction control shut off, but the tires would light up and then stop then light up again.

Is there is video or step by step to do so on my 2015 SRT 392?

·
Registered
585 Posts
While at a standstill, press and hold TC button for 5-10 seconds until you hear a chime and a message will light up in the dash saying traction control and stability have been disabled.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I second that!

Copied from my 2015 SRT DRIVE MODE SUPPLEMENT...

"Selecting the Track Mode modifies traction control to optimize track performance with the least stability control."

"ESC(Electronic Stability Control) Full-Off can be activated across all of the Drive Mode features by pushing and holding the ESC Off button on the instrument panel switch bank for five seconds."

BTW...There is a difference between traction control and stability control.

I've heard it said that some people, at the drag strip, don't disengage ESC entirely so as not to get into trouble. Don't think ESC will kick in while in a straight line.

Sport mode will turn off traction control and reduce stability control.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I guess the confusion comes from whether I need to select "sport" or "track" then hold the button, I hit the button and I get sport and the squiggly lines show up on the left, then hit it again and get track and the squiggly lines are still there and hit it again and the little squiggly lines go away.

So just hitting the button to go thru the 3 options only eliminates what?

Reaching over and holding the button down for 5 seconds eliminates everything? If so is there still only one light?- the squiggly lines on the left.

I know I'm probably making this harder than it is, but just want to understand. I didn't know if I needed to select track or or sport then hold in the button. or just holding in the button til it chimes wipes out everything.

So if you have traction control totally off, what lights are on the dash- just the squiggly lines? Thanks for the reply's it does help.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
There's a TC button on the dash, under the hazard warning lights.

Pressing it once turns off traction control. Leaving it pressed for a few seconds turns off stability control.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a TC button on the dash, under the hazard warning lights.

Pressing it once turns off traction control. Leaving it pressed for a few seconds turns off stability control.

Don't worry if it is says track mode or sport mode between the speedometer and tach?

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
Press and hold the Traction Control Button

You'll see a message in the center IP cluster that will tell you:

*Traction Control if OFF

*if you only press the button once (or engage Sport mode - if the settings in Sport Mode Setup have ESP as Sport setting)

in any case, the yellow warning ESP symbol remains illuminated.

When ESP / traction control is in Normal mode, the ESP light is off.

*the message will display ESP is ON in the center cluster when switching the mode back to ON.

The display in the center cluster will switch back to whatever was displayed before.

PS:
In the Performance Pages Screen - the Sport Mode Setup (and Custom Mode for SRT) have various pre-set modes the user can define so that when selecting those modes, the settings are pre-set.

The ESP/BAS can be overrided with the ESP button by either pressing a single press or press + hold for full-OFF mode.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Press and hold the Traction Control Button

You'll see a message in the center IP cluster that will tell you:

*Traction Control if OFF

*if you only press the button once (or engage Sport mode - if the settings in Sport Mode Setup have ESP as Sport setting)

in any case, the yellow warning ESP symbol remains illuminated.

When ESP / traction control is in Normal mode, the ESP light is off.

*the message will display ESP is ON in the center cluster when switching the mode back to ON.

The display in the center cluster will switch back to whatever was displayed before.

PS:
In the Performance Pages Screen - the Sport Mode Setup (and Custom Mode for SRT) have various pre-set modes the user can define so that when selecting those modes, the settings are pre-set.

The ESP/BAS can be overrided with the ESP button by either pressing a single press or press + hold for full-OFF mode.

Fantastic, So I was playing with the custom settings, I have the steering and suspension set for street mode.

Then I had the transmission set for track

Then the traction set for track.

When I hit the custom button the little squiggly lines illuminate to the left over the tach.

If I press the traction control button long enough it will chime and on my custom page it says "off" next to traction where it use to say track.

So from that I take it both are off completely. yes? nothing more to shut off?

·
Super Moderator
13,333 Posts
If I press the traction control button long enough it will chime and on my custom page it says "off" next to traction where it use to say track.So from that I take it both are off completely. yes? nothing more to shut off?
Yes, there is nothing more to shut off. Traction, however, will still be assisted by your mechanical limited slip differential.

·
Registered
13,540 Posts
Sport Mode will turn off traction control on 2015-up SRT 392.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
Fantastic, So I was playing with the custom settings, I have the steering and suspension set for street mode.

Then I had the transmission set for track

Then the traction set for track.

When I hit the custom button the little squiggly lines illuminate to the left over the tach.

If I press the traction control button long enough it will chime and on my custom page it says "off" next to traction where it use to say track.

So from that I take it both are off completely. yes? nothing more to shut off?
Yes - the hold and press will turn stability control completely off.

Here's an older thread with a post from the owner's manual (SRT) that explains the various modes of On / Sport / Track with respect to traction control and the stability control.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f170/2015-srt392-traction-control-question-567274/

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
And, just in case people are wondering what exactly all these great features are, and how do they work in concert with each other, Jalopnik has this great article with videos.

"A spinoff of ABS (pun fully intended), electronic stability control (ESC) is a computerized control system that applies brakes to individual wheels and reduces engine power to ensure that drivers maintain control of their vehicles. Introduced in the mid 1990’s by Mercedes, this now-mandatory system (in the US as of 2012) has been shown to drastically reduce the risk of automobile accidents. In fact, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety claims that one third of all fatal accidents could have been prevented had this technology existed sooner."

https://jalopnik.com/this-is-how-abs-esc-and-traction-control-work-513807036

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, I did some testing, once I hit srt button, i pick custom, once I do that it only shuts off traction control, I have to hit the traction control button and wait for it to chime, once I do that it shows traction "off" on my custom page.

So I laid into the throttle and weeee, away I went just fishing tailing thru the gears, the tires just kept spinning and spinning. That's what I was looking for. Of course laying black marks is not the goal here. Just wanted to make sure I was free from the nanny controls so there is no braking or power reduction once I get to the race track.

I did run a 1/4 mile for kicks, 4.9 0-60 mph run with 12.9 1/4 mile, man there is just no traction in this car. Specially with my sumitomo 275 40 20 tires.

Thanks to all who replied.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
Tripmine56
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing