Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How SXT feels comparing to a "normal" car and not to other version of challenger or a other muscle car?
What I mean is when you drive this car after seating in, I don't know, Ford Focus or Toyota Corolla or any urban vehicle do you feel an upgrade in terms of power, sport, fun, muscle feeling or is it just like every other city vehicle which happens to look better?
I'm asking because everybody talks about same look as v8, better mileage and so on but no one ever sad that this ride is pretty strong and fast - all I hear is that it is weaker than v8. I really have enough of this comparison and just wanted to now if it is powerful on its own. Never had a car with more than 140hp (I'm from Europe) so that's why I pop out with this question.

Thanks for answer in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi from Europe. I have 2013 Rallye Redline (SXT Plus with some additional features). I also have Subaru Outback 2,5 and Nissan Qashqai (Rogue in US). Previously had another Outback, Honda CRV, lots of AUDI's and VW.

Challenger is by far the most comfortable and sporty car I've owned. And the overall feeling of driving it is so much superior (e.g. sound - I have aftermarket Magna Flow exhaust, also sound system), road presence (lots of looks, as they are very rare on the streets (I live in Latvia). Generally, I would say it rides like a sporty version of big platform Mercedes, but has more unique look. Never smiled so much while riding the car (my true passion is motorcycles, btw). My best 0-100km is 6,17sec. Subaru, which also feels pretty dynamic vehicle is only 9,6. So this is definitely an upgrade comparing with what you call "every other city vehicle" :)

3,6 L and 310HP - not sure if there are many "other" average cars driven in EU, that come close to that (not speaking about overpriced German versions AMG, M series etc, and Italian supercars). Of course, HP is never enough, so I am also considering an upgrade to 5,7 or 6.4 but my brain suggests it is too risky/expensive from tax and running costs perspective (given the crazy Europen road taxes, which at least in Latvia are based on CO2 emissions, and high (potentially increasing) fuel prices). I still hope Dodge will make a sub 3,5 L turbo version with 400+ HP. Average (up to 2 l car) is 150-200Eur in annual road tax. RT or SRT would be ~ 1000EUR. So, what deters me from buying V8 is to pay some extra 800EUR to the state every year generally for nothing (8000eur in 10 years totally wasted).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually - sub 3,5l turbo (in other words boosted, don't know the real differences between turbo, supercharged etc) V6 with AWD would be the sweet spot. So far I don't drive Dogde during winter, because don't want the salt and chemicals to damage it, but AWD version could be a viable all rounder. Having a separate winter car is also costly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for answer! That is what I was hoping for.

Of course, HP is never enough, so I am also considering an upgrade to 5,7 or 6.4 but my brain suggests it is too risky/expensive from tax and running costs perspective (given the crazy Europen road taxes, which at least in Latvia are based on CO2 emissions, and high (potentially increasing) fuel prices). I still hope Dodge will make a sub 3,5 L turbo version with 400+ HP. Average (up to 2 l car) is 150-200Eur in annual road tax. RT or SRT would be ~ 1000EUR. So, what deters me from buying V8 is to pay some extra 800EUR to the state every year generally for nothing (8000eur in 10 years totally wasted).
I don't really care that much about fuel consumption. I'm gonna install "liquid earth gas" system (or however you call it in US) which is very popular in Poland and costs less then half the price of fuel. So it is not v6 versus v8 dilemma for me but rather v8 2009-14 versus v6 15-17 because they are similar in terms of purchase costs.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Thanks for answer! That is what I was hoping for.

I don't really care that much about fuel consumption. I'm gonna install "liquid earth gas" system (or however you call it in US) which is very popular in Poland and costs less then half the price of fuel. So it is not the v6 versus v8 dilemma for me, but rather V8 2009-14 versus V6 15-17 because they are similar in terms of purchase costs.
Looked this up on Google. Nothing. Trying to figure out what this stuff is. My best guess is that you're talking about "natural gas." Google it. This is a popular conversion on some vehicles in the US, especially commercial trucks... to provide better emissions. However, my gut feeling is that it does not make as much power as gasoline. Is this the fuel you're talking about?

Gary

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looked this up on Google. Nothing. Trying to figure out what this stuff is. My best guess is that you're talking about "natural gas." Google it. This is a popular conversion on some vehicles in the US, especially commercial trucks... to provide better emissions. However, my gut feeling is that it does not make as much power as gasoline. Is this the fuel you're talking about?

Gary
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquefied_petroleum_gas - this is it. One of the companies that installs this: https://landirenzo.com/en
Very popular in Italy and Poland. You can fuel it on every gas station. Converting v8 costs about 1500$ (price depends on number of cylinders). Fortunately american cars has no direct injection and fancy turbo mambo jumbo which makes this engine easy to adapt and tolerant for a drier fuel (which LPG is).
It lessens a power a little bit and adds to fuel consumption.
I'm not exactly sure about better emission. It is done for economical reasons. The price of LPG is less then half of gas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I was looking for a car I drove the Civic, Corolla, Mazda3, etc and preferred the Civic because it felt like it had a bit more power than the others (the mazda3 specifically seemed very under powered). Then I drove the Challenger SXT and immediately forgot about all those other cars. The Challenger was more expensive than the other cars I was looking at but I'm sure the salesman knew by the smile on my face that he was about to sell a car.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I got a Scat Pack and got to rent a SXT for a business trip. Honestly, I wouldn't touch another SXT. The thing felt WAY heavier and harder to turn than my Scat Pack. I'd probably consider a V6 mustang over the SXT. The SXT isn't worth the hp/weight ratio especially without the maneuverability and without any interior luxury items and I wouldn't pay extra to put some jewelry on a turd.

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
How SXT feels comparing to a "normal" car and not to other version of challenger or a other muscle car?
What I mean is when you drive this car after seating in, I don't know, Ford Focus or Toyota Corolla or any urban vehicle do you feel an upgrade in terms of power, sport, fun, muscle feeling or is it just like every other city vehicle which happens to look better?
I'm asking because everybody talks about same look as v8, better mileage and so on but no one ever sad that this ride is pretty strong and fast - all I hear is that it is weaker than v8. I really have enough of this comparison and just wanted to now if it is powerful on its own. Never had a car with more than 140hp (I'm from Europe) so that's why I pop out with this question.

Thanks for answer in advance.
Here's my take: my friends have a Chrysler 300S (V6 / A8) and its heavier than the Challenger.

From speeds up to 80kph, around city driving, its feels very torquey...you don't have to use a lot of accelerator. The ZF A8 shifts up / down quickly, so its responsive.

The difference is above those speeds, that's where the V8 pulls harder when you get into the throttle. If you haven't driven the V8 (5.7L) you wouldn't notice as much.

Compared to 140hp in a smaller car, it will feel more responsive, despite the larger size / heaver weight of the Challenger, the gearing and tuning help; you don't have to wind it out like a 4 cyl engine requires.

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
I got a Scat Pack and got to rent a SXT for a business trip. Honestly, I wouldn't touch another SXT. The thing felt WAY heavier and harder to turn than my Scat Pack. I'd probably consider a V6 mustang over the SXT. The SXT isn't worth the hp/weight ratio especially without the maneuverability and without any interior luxury items and I wouldn't pay extra to put some jewelry on a turd.
I'm guessing that rental had the steering feel set for firm. The first SXT (2015+) I test drove was so stiff and difficult to turn it felt like a huge truck with no power steering. I had forgotten about the settings. The one I bought, I set to soft. After having R/T's the difference with the SXT is that it feels far more nimble and maneuverable without that extra 300 pounds over the front end with the V8. It is comfortable and feels very solid. It is slightly slower and the most noticeable difference in power is when passing on a highway. The 5.7 does shoot right out there while the 3.6 takes a second or two.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I've had 2 SXT's now a R/T.

The SXT's are very comfy and good power and great MPG and good handling.

The R/T is noticeably faster by about a second in the quarter mile.

I think the torque matters more in the R/T at about 400 ft. lbs. VS 268 ft lbs in the SXT.
The HP difference is only about 70HP.

The SXT makes a great daily driver!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My impressions

I bought a 2017 with the V6 for my wife and have put about 3,500 miles on it myself. I am comparing this to my H3's, V6 Kia Sorrento, F150, 1.0L Ford Fiesta, VW Beetles (old and new), 93 Civic, Alfa Romeo Spyder and MGB's that I used to own. I love the outward appearance and interior size as well as the big trunk. The HP of the V6 Challenger is pretty darn good too; the car is quick and torque is good but not great. It feels so quiet and composed at 99 mph that you would swear it was only going 66 mph. It doesn't feel like a "muscle car" because it doesn't have that V8 torque, but it accelerates hard when you step on the go pedal. It drives well, if not quite like a smaller 4 cyl. sports car would. To me, the steeping feel is not great. It does not feel linear like a rack and pinion setup should- the stops are not positive and if turning the wheel quickly at slow speeds it feels like the hydraulics can't keep up. I am not a fan of the interior ergonomics, seat fabric, or the HVAC system controls/interface/operation (some selections for fan speed or vent location change when the auto temp is selected and changing ventilation from feet only to bi-level requires that you dive down several levels in the infotainment system pages). I would like the seats to be wider on the base and better lateral support would be nice too (and why do I have to order a GT to get the suede seats? Why is the regular leather seating only the strip down the middle of the seat and not the bolsters too? If I tough it while seated it should not be "pleather"). Otherwise, the Challenger does drive well. Especially considering its size and weight. I have been on the fence about buying the GT for the last 6 months, but the ergonomics and interior controls keep putting me off. Otherwise I would have 2 of them in the driveway right now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From speeds up to 80kph, around city driving, its feels very torquey...you don't have to use a lot of accelerator. The ZF A8 shifts up / down quickly, so its responsive.

The difference is above those speeds, that's where the V8 pulls harder when you get into the throttle. If you haven't driven the V8 (5.7L) you wouldn't notice as much.

Compared to 140hp in a smaller car, it will feel more responsive, despite the larger size / heaver weight of the Challenger, the gearing and tuning help; you don't have to wind it out like a 4 cyl engine requires.
Funny I thought exact opposite. I thought that sxt (because of its significantly smaller torque than v8) requires more throttle, more rpm to get going. I'm driving a lot in a traffic city at low speeds and I want to have a car that feels strong at the light touch on the pedal (opposite to Japanese lawn mower type engines) - want to feel those muscles without really using them so to speak. I don't really care about high speed acceleration time. I hope it makes any sense. Another worlds do you mean to say that in theses driving conditions both engines doesn't feel much different (provided you have sxt with 8 speed automatic)?

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
Funny I thought exact opposite. I thought that sxt (because of its significantly smaller torque than v8) requires more throttle, more rpm to get going. I'm driving a lot in a traffic city at low speeds and I want to have a car that feels strong at the light touch on the pedal (opposite to Japanese lawn mower type engines) - want to feel those muscles without really using them so to speak. I don't really care about high speed acceleration time. I hope it makes any sense. Another worlds do you mean to say that in theses driving conditions both engines doesn't feel much different (provided you have sxt with 8 speed automatic)?
If you look at the '15+ SXT, those are 8 speed automatic only.

The '11 - '14 are 3.6L with 5 speed automatic.

The 5 speed is okay [reliable Mercedes design], but the performance and gearing of the 8 speed works better for the 3.6L and gets improved mileage as well.

The V6 is tuned for low speed torque, so in town driving feels more powerful. Its the upper midrange and beyond where the V8 has more power, so for passing and accelerating on high speed roads where you notice a lot of difference.

4 cyl, small displacement engines have to be wound out to get anything out of them, especially < 2.5L and with automatics, as you're aware.

In EUR, the common sizes of 1.5L, 2.0L mainly turn up due to tax rates, etc.

We're starting to see the turbo 2.0 4cyl, which frankly don't work that well - I refer to those as wheezy lawnmower engines.
Off boost, you're waiting for it to build back up...drive with a heavy foot, and you get poor MPG. Its a joke to see E-class Mercedes and 5 series BMW with those engines...

·
Registered
743 Posts
I ordered my SXT and did not want a V8. Nothing wrong it a V8, just don't want one. And it has nothing to do with cost, insurance, etc. I actually "paid more" by ordering.

300hp is plenty. That's all I need and want. To answer your question, I see my Challenger as a luxury cruiser, with style.

It reminds me very much of a Lexus SC400 from the early 90s (1st Gen). It was long, big, big doors, comfortable, and stylish.

Going back to ordering my car. I got it loaded with what I want, options, color, etc. And therefore, 100% happy. I think that is important.

Honestly, if I was to pick one off the lot, it may be the right color, but does not have the features and options. And may get tired of the car after a few years.

IMO, being 100% happy in a Challenger from the start is important, for this type of car. True, Challenger is just a car. But I don't think you can take a same approach as buying a Corolla or Camry. And that's the advise I can share.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've owned only one car at a time and they were all daily drivers
2003 Honda Civic (127hp/117tq) weighs about 2700lb
1998 Honda Civic Hatchback with motor swap (172hp/140tq) weighs about 2200lb
1994 Acura Integra Turbo (220hp/170tq) weighs about 2700lb
2012 Honda Civic Si (201hp/170tq) weighs about 2800lb

My plan was to get an SXT. While test driving it, it was very similar take off acceleration and speed compared to my 2012 Civic Si. Given the SXT has much more HP and TQ, the Civic weighed significantly less. It still had the same power to comfortably pass up a vehicle on highway to lane change and enough power to drive uphill and higher elevations (I live at sea level and sometimes go to Nevada where its 4000ft elevation, the Civic Si had enough torque to manage and I can only imagine the SXT would have performed the same or better).
During my test drive, the Challenger was a boat compared to my previous tiny Civic Si. Obviously it doesnt have the agile and nimble handling for those on/off ramp redline acceleration moments but with decent suspension mods and performance tires, it can be fun in the turns. But this car isn't meant for that. It's a big body muscle car. In the end, I leased the V8 5.7L cause this will likely be my final 2 door coupe with the wife wanting kids in the near future (hence the lease). So far the cons of this car compared to my tiny Honda's are all minor ranging from parallel parking, parking in lots (wide car = prone to door dings from others), huge blind spots and gas mileage. All in all, I'm very happy I got the Challenger. I honestly believe the SXT has plenty of power to be a solid daily driver. I have no work commute which is why I settled on the V8. If I had a commute, I would've easily gone SXT.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts
I came from a 160HP V6 in a 1995 Grand Prix. It wasn't gutless, but you'd think twice about trying to merge. With the Challenger V6, I am never concerned. If you compare to a V8, it will always come in 2nd. the question is does it have good pickup. yes it does, get you to 70 or 80 pretty fast. if you want more than that, you have a different criteria. A Guy

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It doesn't feel like a "muscle car" because it doesn't have that V8 torque, but it accelerates hard when you step on the go pedal. It drives well, if not quite like a smaller 4 cyl. sports car would.
Can you elaborate on this more? Because this is exactly what I'm worried about. Does it mean that when you're on a low speeds and touches the pedal delicately nothing special really occurs? And that's because of poor torque, right? Like I sad before, I drive in a city at low speeds mainly and want to feel those muscles without high rpms. I don't care that much for accelerating from 60mph to 90mph - rarely happens in my case.

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
I came from a 160HP V6 in a 1995 Grand Prix. It wasn't gutless, but you'd think twice about trying to merge. With the Challenger V6, I am never concerned. If you compare to a V8, it will always come in 2nd. the question is does it have good pickup. yes it does, get you to 70 or 80 pretty fast. if you want more than that, you have a different criteria. A Guy
What you could have had was the 3.4 Twin Dual Cam V6 (200hp w/ auto) - I had the 'stick ['91-'93] which had 210hp.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts