Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a 2011 SE Rallye but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I wanted Sound Group II and NAV but may have to nix those now and add something equivalent from the aftermarket later. My question is, how does the base 268-watt Rallye system with 6 Boston Acoustics speakers sound compared to the upgraded Sound Group II with 368-watts and 7 Boston Acoustics speaker?

I'm not an audiophile but I'd like the stereo to sound good.

Thanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
your problaby be better off going with the smaller system and taking the money saved and go aftermarket, even a modest aftermarket system when setup properly will blow the stock systems away.

·
Registered
145 Posts
An old rule of thumb, as far as volume is concerned, it takes 4x the power to double the volume of an audio system... so if you have a 100 watt system, it takes 400 watts for the audio to be twice as loud.

In such a confined space as the cabin of a car, any car, I think you'd be fine with the lower wattage system (268w). Of course if you want it to shake the fenders off of the cars around you, well... plenty of aftermarket stuff for that.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I guess I won't let the lack of Sound Group II keep from buying a particular car.

·
Super Moderator
16,461 Posts
SGII will gain an additional center dash speaker (7 speakers) and there's the 8" round sub that is added (underside of rear parcel shelf) so the additional amplification is the front center channel, plus the sub channel.

You then have 7 speakers + the rear sub, for a total of 8 drivers.

The 6-speaker system probably sounds good, but the SGII will add more front imaging and more bottom end.
When going to SGII you get the Media Center 430 which has the 30GB hard drive (if you have the non-Nav version there's more HDD capacity avail.) and you can store CDs/MP3 and you have the USB connection for uploads as well. The CD drive is located behind the touch screen.

The base Media Center 130 is just the single-slot CD player.

The SE / R/T SGII sub is different from the SRT Kicker system (that's a trunk wall 10" sub) with the Kicker speakers (co-axials) on that trim level.

·
Registered
571 Posts
If you're wavering, here's my experience--

I'm no audiophile either, but the sound from SGII seemed indistinct. I was looking for an answer when I listened to another member's SGII setup. He had changed speakers to CDTs, leaving the amplifiers alone. The sound was very clear and seemed to be coming from a point in the center of the car by my shoulder. That was one of the three most startling audio experiences of my life.

I agree with Hal, SGII gives you all the power and all the speaker locations you need.

If you want more clarity, you only need to change the speakers.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Hal H and OttoPilot for your input.

Last night I made an offer on a car equipped exactly like we want and it includes Sound Group II and the 430N (nav system). Waiting to hear back from the dealer today. My offer was pretty low but I needed to take into consideration the 500 mile round trip drive I'll be making to pick it up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Go with the aftermarket. I just got my 2011 SE two weeks ago, and I am already about to install aftermarket subs and an amp. The Sound Group II is decent, but the highs aren't very good and for $1500 you can do much better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts