Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at the 10 day, and it's calling for snow showers 6 out of the next 10 days. Tuesday potential for a BIG one. I'm in VA, not Minnesota!!!

Anyhow, how many folks have driven in the snow with a 6M and the standard all season 20" tires?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I had a couple snow storms last year that I drove on with the 20" all-seasons. It wasn't bad. I never got stuck in the snow and made it up the biggest hills I drive daily. Starting in 2nd is a good idea.

This winter I have 18" snows and the difference is like night and day.:bigthumb: I had no idead snow tires make such a difference from all-season radials.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a couple snow storms last year that I drove on with the 20" all-seasons. It wasn't bad. I never got stuck in the snow and made it up the biggest hills I drive daily. Starting in 2nd is a good idea.

This winter I have 18" snows and the difference is like night and day.:bigthumb: I had no idead snow tires make such a difference from all-season radials.
Back in the day when ALL cars were rear wheel drive, we always ran snow tires on the rear in the winter. Somehow we all survived. I did have a '73 Roadrunner tho that I had the trunk loaded with cinderblocks and a lady rearended me while I was waiting to turn. The front end of her car crumpled, and that was before crumple zones.

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
My car goes great in the snow, but I never tried the OEM all-season tires with snow. Those tires will probably get you through winter if there isn't too much snow, but if it snows a lot, or you have big hills, get winter tires.

I run my winter tires for three months (Pennsylvania) and have no problem in the snow. Both my all-season tires and winter tires are 18" on stock rims.

(sections of snowy road with the traction control off and the accelerator pressed half-way down don't count! :D )

·
Registered
190 Posts
Its not the snow but the ice that will get you. I drove back from work a few weeks ago when it was pretty cold. There was just a dusting of snow, but at a stop on a low hill, the dusting had turned to ice from melting car exhausts and then refreezing. Just a very thin layer, but it was very slick. The standard 20" all seasons did not like that. I rolled through that stop, 'cause I didn't think I could have gotten up the little hill had I stopped. I'd drive a different vehicle until the road is dry...Good luck.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I just got snow tires put on mine and what a difference...so far no problems in the light snow we just had.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I drove mine home from work during the blizzard we had here a few weeks ago. Only broke the tires loose (not on purpose :D) once! The weight of these things in a big bonus in the white stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
Its not the snow but the ice that will get you. I drove back from work a few weeks ago when it was pretty cold. There was just a dusting of snow, but at a stop on a low hill, the dusting had turned to ice from melting car exhausts and then refreezing. Just a very thin layer, but it was very slick. The standard 20" all seasons did not like that. I rolled through that stop, 'cause I didn't think I could have gotten up the little hill had I stopped. I'd drive a different vehicle until the road is dry...Good luck.

Precisely why those driving their cars in winter should get purpose winter tires. They stay softer in the cold temperatures which help grip by conforming to tiny road irregularities better (naturally, the aggressive tread helps too).

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Running Blizzak snow tires all around. Last night there was a light dusting of snow in Chicago and the roads were really slipery. Light snow and cold weather is worse than a couple of inches. The Blizzak's make a tremendous difference however if you get on it the tires will break loose. Got my tires and wheels from Tirerack who recommends using 4 tires and not just snow's on the back like we did back in the day.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine is a DD and I am surprised at how well it behaves. I am also running the all season RS-A's. In Indy we had a pretty good amount of snow in December. Being my first RWD car, I went to a deserted church parking lot to see how the car handled in the white stuff. I tried to make it slide around and didn't have much luck. :)

However, last night we had a light dusting that turned to ice and that was a pain. Car slid EVERYWHERE. But on ice everyone will slide without spikes.

I feel like the traction in snow is tremendously greater than when it rains. The first time I drove mine in the rain, I managed to do a 180 (completely by accident) while going around an S curve that I have driven for 10 years.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good feedback, I've got a 4WD F150, so there's that alternative, but I did sell an Altima and my Mustang GT after purchasing the Challenger, so it would be great to rely on it in bad weather as well as good.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Unless your GT did alot better in snow than mine did I don't know why you mentioned it. I live in Northern Indiana when I had it and it didn't want to go or handleon anything but drty roads.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have driven this car in severe winter conditions and as long as you follow the rules of winter driving that apply to all cars (slow down, give more time to react to situations, downshift prior to braking, etc) you should do fine.

Braking and stopping ability is not determined by whether the car is RWD or AWD, since all cars brake the same way. The ability to take off from a dead stop in the snow and ice is what makes 4WD superior, however with good tires any car car handle snowy weather. The stock Goodyear Eagle RSA's are not too bad. They are an All Season tire, however they can be a bit tricky in the deep slick stuff. I used them and they worked just fine in normal Northern Michigan driving. Our police department uses RWD Dodge Chargers with no problems during severe weather. They use Blizzaks and these cars are complete snow tanks with them on.

·
Registered
176 Posts
No problem!

I live in MN, we just had the most snow in Dec ever! I drive my Rt daily with stock 20" tires! Car does surprisingly well in snow. You can punch it and the traction control won't let the car spin out. Then when I wanna have fun I turn the traction control off and swing the back end around or do donuts. I'm glad I didn't waste $1000 on snow tires. Few more months and the 22s will be going back on!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts