Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've watched some videos and it seems very very easy. But I'm not that experienced with working on cars and being that the car is brand new (less than 600miles) I am paranoid about damaging it in the process.

I recently ordered a speedlogix oil catch can, hellcat lower intake box, afe headlight tube, and charger intake tube. Haven't done any of them yet, but I'm confident enough that I can do the airbox stuff no problem, not worried about that. But the catch can....yeah I dunno I'm leery about it for some reason, so thought I'd ask.

I will be going to pay a friend to do the clutch delay valve delete this weekend. Only because I don't have a jack strong enough to lift this car and he has several lifts in his garage. So I could pay him to install the can too maybe that's probably silly. I'm ok with paying him for the CDV delete cause I'm more so paying to use his lift than anything. He's pretty reasonable, you could even say cheap prices, and he helped me out a LOT when I had a POS car that broke down all the time, so it shouldn't be that much if I did was my point there.

Have one a few questions about the process though:

1. Will any oil spill out when I remove the hose that's on it now? And if yes, how best to avoid it going everywhere?
  2. Do I need to cut the hoses or just use them as they came from Speedlogix (not sure if they made them the right length already or just threw in some hoses)
  3. Do I need hose clamps for the new hoses? On both ends? Pics of other peoples cans sometimes I see them, sometimes I don't, other times they have much nicer hoses.
  4. Was the "non-silencer" intake tube I order suppose to come with an air sensor already in it? Cause it did, but the description on the site did not say anything about it. Do I just use that one then? Or should I remove it, and use the one currently on the car? From the videos I've seen (haven't taken mine apart yet) the sensor in the new tube looks just like the one that is in my car now.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
1. There will be no oil other than residue in the tube when you remove it.
2. The hoses do need to be cut and that takes care and special tooling. My local NAPA store has the tooling and they would only do it after I wrapped the cut lined with a lot of clear packing tape. If you don't do that it will fray the braid and make a mess. Even after that it's tough to get the fittings on there. Just be patient and watch your finger tips. That stainless will get ya.
3. Disregard the second part of the above answer, it doesn't sound like you purchased the faux anodized fittings. Hose clamps are good but not required if you have a tight seal. I had to cut tube and keep the front fitting to the intake to make the 90 into the outlet of the catch can. Otherwise it's too tight of a 90 with hose alone.
4. That I'm not familiar with. I'll have to go check that out. :wink3:

Not a hard install at all.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Agree with Evil, it's a super easy install. I didn't cut any of the hoses, routed the longer one through an unused opening in the engine cover, no clamps, very simple.

Attachments

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
It's a bit of a pain in the ass if you're not familiar with your car. I installed the Speedlogix one that came with no instructions and that took me a good 2 hours to finalize the install using videos.

I am confident I could do it within 30 minutes the second time around, though.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Just FYI, the airbox is more of a pain. I spent more time getting the lid to seat back into the little tabs than I did installing the can. ;) Not to mention the trip to Home Depot for the weather stripping.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Just FYI, the airbox is more of a pain. I spent more time getting the lid to seat back into the little tabs than I did installing the can. ;) Not to mention the trip to Home Depot for the weather stripping.
What airbox?

Hellcat airbox is even simpler than the catch can.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
What airbox?

Hellcat airbox is even simpler than the catch can.
Disagee. You have to maneuver the coolant tank out of the way, it's 9x the bolts to work, those stupid tabs on the firewall side of the airbox...

Heck, just getting the grommet off of the back of the OE airbox is harder than the one bolt and two lines of the can.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Disagee. You have to maneuver the coolant tank out of the way, it's 9x the bolts to work, those stupid tabs on the firewall side of the airbox...

Heck, just getting the grommet off of the back of the OE airbox is harder than the one bolt and two lines of the can.
Are you talking about the cabin air filter?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's really an easy process to install an oil catch-can! :)

Here's a YouTube video link for it. Take me like 5 minutes to complete it.

Installation: Speedlogix Billet Oil Catch Can (6.4L Challenger) - YouTube
Would this be the same/similar for a 5.7L? Mine does not have that "arm", I believe it mounts on the front of the block.

1. There will be no oil other than residue in the tube when you remove it.
2. The hoses do need to be cut and that takes care and special tooling. My local NAPA store has the tooling and they would only do it after I wrapped the cut lined with a lot of clear packing tape. If you don't do that it will fray the braid and make a mess. Even after that it's tough to get the fittings on there. Just be patient and watch your finger tips. That stainless will get ya.
3. Disregard the second part of the above answer, it doesn't sound like you purchased the faux anodized fittings. Hose clamps are good but not required if you have a tight seal. I had to cut tube and keep the front fitting to the intake to make the 90 into the outlet of the catch can. Otherwise it's too tight of a 90 with hose alone.
4. That I'm not familiar with. I'll have to go check that out. :wink3:

Not a hard install at all.
Yeah sorry, I mean the generic rubber tubes that come with the Speedlogix catch can. They are rubber, look to maybe have some sort of fiber strands in the middle layer of the rubber. Say something like "air brake" on them, I imagine their normal/built purpose. (I'm not at home atm). So what would I need to cut these normal rubber tubes, if needed?

Yeah I thought it was kinda weird it already had an air sensor in the intake tube I got, I don't think it was suppose to come with that, but haven't got confirmation yet.

Agree with Evil, it's a super easy install. I didn't cut any of the hoses, routed the longer one through an unused opening in the engine cover, no clamps, very simple.
I think yours was one I had seen when I was looking and noticed it didn't have clamps on it.

Weather stripping? Where's that go? I was figuring on putting it back together like; airbox, airbox lid, then put intake tube on. I do recall the lid being a bit of a turd when I put in the AEM dryflow filter a few weeks back.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since you have the same catch can I got (I got the black one) I'll bug you more, ha ha! Nah you answered most, you didn't cut the hoses and didn't need to use clamps. My only other question is, how easy is it to remove the bottom to empty the can with how you have it installed (which is how I was gonna do it). Or do you have to move it or remove anything to get access to it?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Since you have the same catch can I got (I got the black one) I'll bug you more, ha ha! Nah you answered most, you didn't cut the hoses and didn't need to use clamps. My only other question is, how easy is it to remove the bottom to empty the can with how you have it installed (which is how I was gonna do it). Or do you have to move it or remove anything to get access to it?
I won't lie - it's a bit of a pain the ass to empty it. I don't move it, just reach under it and unscrew but there's not a whole lot of room to work with. I plan on moving it a little more forward, maybe one or two rotations on the bolt so I can get my hand behind it a little easier.

Bug away! it's no problem man, sincerely.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I won't lie - it's a bit of a pain the ass to empty it. I don't move it, just reach under it and unscrew but there's not a whole lot of room to work with. I plan on moving it a little more forward, maybe one or two rotations on the bolt so I can get my hand behind it a little easier.

Ah good info. About how many rotations did you do when you originally put it on?

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts

I bought a longer bolt and a spacer for mine to move it away from the engine about .5".

Makes screwing it back on SO MUCH easier.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts