Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger GT AWD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to be pulling the trigger on a 2021 GT AWD Challenger. I have no idea what a fair price would be? Can I go in there and expect to get this for less than $40,000 or is that being completely unrealistic? What did you guys wind up paying? At what price point would you consider this to be a "fair" price? I don't want to go in there and act like a nut job asking for a price that is insane, I also don't want to wind up paying what would be considered an insane price myself.

I know from experience that the one dealership has a hold back of about $1300. Is that all the wiggle-room they realistically have?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts

Hello, might see what Truecar says for your area. This is in my zip in CA

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,450 Posts
View attachment 1008701
What did you guys wind up paying? At what price point would you consider this to be a "fair" price? I don't want to go in there and act like a nut job asking for a price that is insane, I also don't want to wind up paying what would be considered an insane price myself.
If you want to buy below invoice, you'll need to know the invoice price, and dealers sometimes mislead customers about this price, so get the invoice price from an independent source. Research selling trends for the car and the average purchase price in your area. Then be prepared to show your research to the dealer. Although it’s possible for a dealer to sell a car below invoice, it’s unlikely. If you’re buying a car from a dealer, you’ll probably pay over the invoice price, as a dealer tries to sell under invoice only as a matter of last resort, such as at the end of a model year or if a brand-new model is only a few weeks away.

There are three major reasons why a dealer would sell below invoice.this can happen.

1. The first is that an automaker might be running a special promotion for its dealers to sell a certain model in a certain month like Dodge Power Dollars ($10 per hp.)..

2. The other reason why a dealer will sometimes sell a car below invoice is something called “holdback.” Holdback is when a manufacturer giving a dealer a reward for selling a car. Since holdback can be a few hundred to more than a thousand dollars, selling a car below invoice can still return a net profit for the dealer once they receive manufacturer holdback.

3. Dealers often earn a large percentage of their income on financing. If a dealer sells a car for a few hundred dollars below invoice but then earns a few thousand dollars in interest over the term of the loan, this isn’t exactly a loss. That’s especially true if the buyer chooses other high-profit dealer extras, such as an extended warranty or other products.

·
Registered
58 Posts
FCA offers incentives every month for each brand. The dealer needs to hit sales milestones each month to get bonuses. That's why they will sometimes get aggressive at the end of the month. If they are near a milestone, they will drop prices if necessary to reach that milestone. If they are not close to the next tier milestone, they will not get aggressive on the price for the sale.

I think @Cuda340 was referring to below.

Holdback is the % that the dealer keeps off the top of the financing. What most people don't know is that if a dealer offers you a 5% interest rate, there is a good chance you were approved for 2-3%. The dealer gets the additional interest immediately once finance company has "paid" for the car. This is completely hidden in the paperwork, and you would not know about it, no matter how hard you look. The finance company will not reveal this info to you either as they are at risk to lose money as well sin e the dealer will just use one of the many finance companies available. This is why it is best to secure your own financing elsewhere. However, dealers won't get that aggressive on cash prices. So the best way to handle it is to get a great price at the dealer and finance it there. They will tack on their holdback. If you refinance the vehicle somewhere else within a 12month period, the dealer will receive a charge back and have to relinquish their hold back to the finance company. This is a good way to make an enemy with a dealer, but happens all the time.

FYI, more money per deal is made on used cars. New cars only pay off with milestone bonuses or a little price gouging when people are willing to pay it. (ie. first new car).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
You need to get email OTD quotes from a lot (6+) of dealers.

In my experience, some dealers are low volume, high price sellers. They stay in business by earning the most they can from every sale.

You want to find a high volume dealer.

I have negotiated my best deals on Dec 31/Jan 1, which is coming up.
Sometimes a high volume dealer is just a few vehicles away from a sales incentive target.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,204 Posts
About $8000 less, up to about $10k less depending on demand at the time for about a $45K stickered car.

Don't trust any of the websites that offer data - they are often deceptive. Invoice is bogus too.

A wise man once told me there are 2 prices on the window sticker for a reason.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I can only tell you from my experience. I bought my 2020 Challenger R/T in the middle of August and had affiliate pricing through my employer which is 1% below invoice, I also had power dollars on top of that ($3750 for my R/T M6). My MSRP was $36240.00 and my OTD price was $28200.00 in my state you pay sales tax when you register the car not at the dealer so that is not a factor in the numbers provided.

·
Super Moderator
15,450 Posts
Are you in North Carolina? If so, Steve White Dodge, located in Hickory, NC, is a great dealer.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Holy cow, that looks like a good deal. Unless, is that just buying the car on a credit card and then paying %20 interest on it?

Holy crap yes it is. If I had the money to pay it off in full the first month I totally would, but i don't and it would be very painful

·
Registered
2020 Challeger Scat Pack 6M Frostbite
37 Posts
Are you in North Carolina? If so, Steve White Dodge, located in Hickory, NC, is a great dealer.

I bought mine from Steve White a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ha! So the NC actually doesn't stand for North Carolina. I just go by that because its funny when people tell me how much they hate North Carolina. I've actually never even been there.

I did wind up making a purchase today. I appreciate the help and advice you guys gave me! All of you!

On a MSRP of $44160 I had the price adjusted to $39153, with Doc fee, Tax and "non tax fee's" I wound up paying $42,120 out the door. It might not be the best deal possible, but I don't believe I did bad. I'm not sure how the math is calculated @A Guy, but I either saved 4.7% off MSRP on my out the door price, Which seams to line up as a "Great Price" Or I saved 11.4% If its calculated off the MSRP adjustment. Either way I think I did good.

Anybody coming along in the future, here's what I did.

I contacted every single dealership within 2 hours of me. I asked for a quote and listed exactly what I wanted. I told them I was contacting multiple dealerships, that it would have to be a build, and that I wanted an exact match. I took the 2nd-6th lowest quotes and had them try to beat each other. I took the new 2nd and 3rd place quotes and asked the first place place to beat them. I did the last part in person.

You will have to sift through A LOT of BS. I'd recommend anybody trying to do this to make a separate email and get a burner phone.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
You can get 5% cash back by applying for a Dodge DrivePlus Mastercard.

I think that is you earn 5% towards a car on everything you buy with the card, like the Chase Amazon Prime card (I highly recommend that one!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congrats on your new AWD challenger, if I may ask what kind of MoPar warranty were you incentivized with your purchase? 3yr 36odometer or 5yr 60k?

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,170 Posts
I am about to be pulling the trigger on a 2021 GT AWD Challenger. I have no idea what a fair price would be? Can I go in there and expect to get this for less than $40,000 or is that being completely unrealistic? What did you guys wind up paying? At what price point would you consider this to be a "fair" price? I don't want to go in there and act like a nut job asking for a price that is insane, I also don't want to wind up paying what would be considered an insane price myself.

I know from experience that the one dealership has a hold back of about $1300. Is that all the wiggle-room they realistically have?

View attachment 1008692
Go ahead and act like a nut job. Do you actually really care what strangers think about you when you're trying to save money? The worst that can happen is needing to go elsewhere to look for what you want, and with patience, that usually isn't the case. The two things not to be when purchasing a vehicle are a wet dish rag and a motivated buyer.

Reactions: T240guy

·
Registered
42 Posts
I rarely leave a dealership NOT feeling like I got ripped off! Invoice is a B/S number. You will never know what the dealer actually paid for your vehicle. Car Dealers exist to make the most profit they can on each transaction. I bought my R/T for a little more than 9K off sticker. I felt comfortable that I got a good deal, but was still stressed through the process, as they were not very transparent with the numbers. I know they still made money on the deal, and I’m ok with that. I don’t want to know how much they made. I take comfort in the fact that I don’t feel I would have bought this car for less money anywhere else, without going used, and am beyond happy with my car!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
I just looked at invoice as their asking price. Didn't matter to me what they paid, or what their profit was. They are selling the car, and asking that price. I then got a discount and rebates and was happy with the price. Did they make a nice profit? Didn't matter, I got a price I was happy with. If everyone else paid less, that would be a thing. Invoice is just a number

A Guy

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well in July I wanted a 2020 Scat Pack in Manual,Back in July you could get deals on Scat packs with Power Dollars and Under MSRP.Buttttt there were NO Manuals anywhere within 300 miles from me.Only Dealer had One in transport about a hour from me that was coming in within a week.I Payed MSRP and got my Power Dollars and got $2000 more for my Tradin.I feel I did well and just wrote a Check when the car came in.......JT

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well in July I wanted a 2020 Scat Pack in Manual,Back in July you could get deals on Scat packs with Power Dollars and Under MSRP.Buttttt there were NO Manuals anywhere within 300 miles from me.Only Dealer had One in transport about a hour from me that was coming in within a week.I Payed MSRP and got my Power Dollars and got $2000 more for my Tradin.I feel I did well and just wrote a Check when the car came in.......JT
Very true.

Popularity and/or scarcity drive up the price.

Where I live, there is a huge demand for certain Toyota models. Paying MSRP is considered an excellent deal.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts