Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. New owner/member here. Just picked up a 2018 SRT and I've been reading the forums for a little bit but not totally sure on a couple things so thought I'd ask and start up a conversation instead of searching through endless back posts.

I'm curious how good the stock exhaust is performance wise and sound wise compared to aftermarket that can still pass smog and not kill warranty. I live in California so pretty strict standards. Seems like some are doing cat back and others are maybe just replacing the mufflers for more sound? I know full headers is out the window.

Also when it comes to CAI it looks like the hellcat air box with the intake tubes is the ticket but still negligible gains. I like the look of the lights with the hole on it but and the mopar cai looks cooler then stock to me but I have seen aftermarket cais that I prefer. Can you use the headlight intake tubes with other cais or does it have to be that combination? Does anyone have a link to a walk thru on the mod?

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,718 Posts
I run JBA's, and they're a California company (Note that I don't share your dilemma). They can hook you up with their shorty headers and the rest of your exhaust and keep you legal. BTW, my ride came stock with the ultimate CAI. :grin2:

Reactions: enemy

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
Hi everyone. New owner/member here. Just picked up a 2018 SRT and I've been reading the forums for a little bit but not totally sure on a couple things so thought I'd ask and start up a conversation instead of searching through endless back posts.

I'm curious how good the stock exhaust is performance wise and sound wise compared to aftermarket that can still pass smog and not kill warranty. I live in California so pretty strict standards. Seems like some are doing cat back and others are maybe just replacing the mufflers for more sound? I know full headers is out the window.

Also when it comes to CAI it looks like the hellcat air box with the intake tubes is the ticket but still negligible gains. I like the look of the lights with the hole on it but and the mopar cai looks cooler then stock to me but I have seen aftermarket cais that I prefer. Can you use the headlight intake tubes with other cais or does it have to be that combination? Does anyone have a link to a walk thru on the mod?

Thanks
The T/A style fresh air intake system would fit into your SRT as it uses the same hood as what the T/A models utilize. So it both the Air Catcher headlight port and the hood scoop for outside air.

To be frank, the sums of money spent on aftermarket exhaust on a stock engine - IMO, not worth it. Even more so as you're dealing with CA / CARB regulations.

The same shorty headers, cats and pipes are used on 392, Hellcat and Demon engines and those others are forced induction, putting out even more power with that same exhaust system. So spending a 4 digit amount of money on such little gain...

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
649 Posts
I have the Hellcat airbox mod and like it. Does make more power no, does it sound louder no the reason I did it is I live in Oklahoma and the heat in summer is pretty bad at times, I wanted a way to drop the air temps and that's what it does good. Install is a breeze (u-tube) has videos. I got the lower box and tube from Steve White parts and it was the cheapest place I found. You can also install Hellcat air filter which flows more air but it is 40 bucks yikes.

Mopar or No Car

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,138 Posts

Thanks

Congratulations on you new SRT and Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

I changed the stock exhaust on our 2015 SRT 392 to a 3" mandrel bent stainless exhaust (no muffler or resonators and j-piped Solo setup) just because I wanted Ruby louder. It accomplished my goal and compared to Borla, Corsa, Magnaflow or Zoomers, it was a bargain. Performance wise, Ruby actually feels slower by my SOTP dyno (Seat of the Pants), but when comparing to a 392 Scat Pack, I can pull them by 1 car or two going to sixty-ish and the distance grows a bit past that speed.

Part of it might be that it breathes better in the upper rpm range and feels to soften up the bottom end (easier to hook up on street tires). This is purely speculation and just a guess on my part though. The exhaust might have nothing to do with it either, but I'm just telling my results from running around Mexico!

The exhaust is the only thing changed on ours and the Scat has the Hellcat lower air box on it. In all honesty though, there are cars that run better than others from the factory and I think that we got one of those. I might have to one day do a couple of dyno runs just to see what she makes.

Dodge did a Phenomenal job on the factory exhaust and in my opinion is one of the best sounding OEM pieces that comes on a car today. Like I said, I just wanted louder.

As far as the Hellcat lower airbox, it's a bargain, but on a naturally aspirated car, I don't think that it does much, other than being a neat piece.

If you search YouTube, there are plenty of good vids on the Hellcat intake install.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hal thank you for the reply. Is the T/A intake system different then the hellcat? TBH as much as I've read I'm still a little confused as to what exactly all the mods do. I'm not sure if its all one kit that supplies a new CAI and filter and box to hold it with the open top and a tube going to the light and new light with a hole in it or are they all separate mods. I like the lower intake temps but also like the look of the vented lights but would prefer a flashier look when you open up the hood. The only one I've seen in person is the T/A which had an open box with a big filter but I've seen other intakes that have stainless tubing and stuff which just looked better to me.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
Hal thank you for the reply. Is the T/A intake system different then the hellcat? TBH as much as I've read I'm still a little confused as to what exactly all the mods do. I'm not sure if its all one kit that supplies a new CAI and filter and box to hold it with the open top and a tube going to the light and new light with a hole in it or are they all separate mods. I like the lower intake temps but also like the look of the vented lights but would prefer a flashier look when you open up the hood. The only one I've seen in person is the T/A which had an open box with a big filter but I've seen other intakes that have stainless tubing and stuff which just looked better to me.
I've attached pictures - hood induction portion / Mopar CAI airbox / complete kit

Attachments

Reactions: FreddyG and enemy

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
In all honesty though, there are cars that run better than others from the factory and I think that we got one of those. I might have to one day do a couple of dyno runs just to see what she makes.
Don’t you know Scat Packs are the fastest?

Seriously though, driver mod and a car with properly trained adaptives will make that much of a difference too. Our cars that are driven the hardest are the fastest in my experience.

There is evidence that suggests going to a wider exhaust than stock will make you lose power, however I’ve always been of the opinion that unless you are modifying the exhaust in front of the cats, you aren’t making any difference other than in the sound.

To the OP, as has been said, our factory shorty headers are great and our car backs are really good too. The cheapest and nearly best thing to do is delete the mid mufflers if you want it louder. As far as intakes, I like the Hellcat mod because it appears stock and essentially is, but a CAI does look more attractive to some. Our cars pretty easily meet their max intake flow with the stock filter when’s it’s clean, and the factory Hellcat filter flows insanely well and still meets out max intake flow when it is dirty. Run stealth I say ;)

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,138 Posts
Don’t you know Scat Packs are the fastest?

Seriously though, driver mod and a car with properly trained adaptives will make that much of a difference too. Our cars that are driven the hardest are the fastest in my experience.

There is evidence that suggests going to a wider exhaust than stock will make you lose power, however I’ve always been of the opinion that unless you are modifying the exhaust in front of the cats, you aren’t making any difference other than in the sound.

To the OP, as has been said, our factory shorty headers are great and our car backs are really good too. The cheapest and nearly best thing to do is delete the mid mufflers if you want it louder. As far as intakes, I like the Hellcat mod because it appears stock and essentially is, but a CAI does look more attractive to some. Our cars pretty easily meet their max intake flow with the stock filter when’s it’s clean, and the factory Hellcat filter flows insanely well and still meets out max intake flow when it is dirty. Run stealth I say ;)

Someone forgot to tell my SRT that! ;)

What you say makes sense, but I don't drive Ruby hard that often (just like cruising), so I'd have to guess that my trans adaptives should more than likely be reset. She's just a freak though because she's a Strong runner, especially when provoked!

My butt dyno tells me that it lost some bottom end grunt, but feels a bit stronger in the upper rpm range. That might be all in my mind though, but she seems to come out of the hole easier after the exhaust. That is unless my driving got better! :D

I do agree with everything that you told Enemy (the OP) though. :cheers:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks EricG for the info. So it sounds like unless I plan to do some big changes then I should consider myself lucky that I don't have to spend a good chunk of change on new exhaust. It would be nice to have a nice shiny exhaust but that's some expensive bling for sure. I'm not 100% sure about the mod you mentioned (mid muffler delete) but I'm guessing at least in California that removing the mufflers would be a real expensive ticket and something I would probably get busted for. Is their another way to get a little more sound out of it if I wanted? Like adding aftermarket mufflers in place of the stock? Does that make any changes to performance? I love the way the exhaust sounds stock already but a little louder might be something I could live with.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
Hal so that is different then the hellcat mod? Which is better?
The T/A setup would pull outside air from three sources:

>the scoop on the hood
>the Air Catcher (head light) port
>the apron duct to the bottom of the airbox (inlet is in lower front grille)

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,370 Posts
One possibility might be installing cutouts that can be remotely opened and closed. Crank em open when ya wanna make some noise, and keep em closed when ya don't. Best of both worlds? Here's a video of one fella who did this:

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I'm not 100% sure about the mod you mentioned (mid muffler delete) but I'm guessing at least in California that removing the mufflers would be a real expensive ticket and something I would probably get busted for. Is their another way to get a little more sound out of it if I wanted? Like adding aftermarket mufflers in place of the stock? Does that make any changes to performance? I love the way the exhaust sounds stock already but a little louder might be something I could live with.
I've never dealt with the California inspections, but I would think you could cut out the mufflers in the middle of the car and straight pipe them and still have an intact exhaust system that would pass? Be sure to find an exhaust shop with 3" pipe to slide over the stock 2.75 inch pipes and don't let them put a narrower 2.5" pipe in place of the muffler...if you end up going that route. Just deleting that muffler turns up the sound quite a bit...if I didn't daily drive my car or leave at 3am for work everyday I would probably delete mine. I may do it down the road anyway...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not totally sure but my guess is in Ca you need to have mufflers plus I would think that would be a bigger noise increase then what I would be looking for. I think it sounds great now but if a different muffler gave a little more I would be interested in checking it out.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,718 Posts
I've never dealt with the California inspections, but I would think you could cut out the mufflers in the middle of the car and straight pipe them and still have an intact exhaust system that would pass? Be sure to find an exhaust shop with 3" pipe to slide over the stock 2.75 inch pipes and don't let them put a narrower 2.5" pipe in place of the muffler...if you end up going that route. Just deleting that muffler turns up the sound quite a bit...if I didn't daily drive my car or leave at 3am for work everyday I would probably delete mine. I may do it down the road anyway...
They do a visual inspection during the smog check. Any modifications need C.A.R.B. certification to pass the inspection. Failing an inspection can get you sent to the state referees for further inspections.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
The T/A setup would pull outside air from three sources:

>the scoop on the hood
>the Air Catcher (head light) port
>the apron duct to the bottom of the airbox (inlet is in lower front grille)

If I had the TA style hood, I would add the above in a heartbeat. You can't have too much ambient air coming in to the induction system.

I can only comment on the HC lower box and tube on my Scat Pack, Once installed, the ambient air in did lower the IAT readings, showing that the extra ambient air in helped.

This system didn't produce any more power or intake noise, but drivability in higher temp times of year did seem to improve. Just better throttle response which makes the feel crisper, rather than a little soggier from the high temps.

As far as the exhaust, for me, the stock active exhaust sound and tone is perfect. I won't change a thing.

Best of luck deciding.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,635 Posts
No inspection in CA to speak of. After 6 years on a new car, you get a smog check, they do in biannually. It's an OBD test these days, They do a visual for smog items like cats. They test the gas cap holds vacuum. You won't have any issues with cat back mods. If it's obnoxious loud, cops would be your worry, but with so many Harley's driving around setting off car alarms, it would have to be pretty heinous!

Legally you can't increase the sound. But again, every day I hear outrageous exhausts.

Adequate muffler required. 27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

Exhaust systems can’t be modified in a way that increases or amplifies the amount of sound that the vehicle makes beyond that produced by factory equipment.

Vehicles (except for motorcycles) with a gross vehicle weight less than 6,000 pounds must produce sound that is 95 decibels or less.

Straight pipe would mean no muffler, but again, you need to tick off a cop, not get reported by the smog check guy. A Guy

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Guy. I live in a fairly small town and cops here might pull you over for sound so I wouldn't want to remove the mufflers and go crazy or remove the resonators and get drone. Any recommendations on a replacement muffler that's a little louder then stock? I keep hearing about dynomax bullets but also read where they make a trumpet like sound or something which doesn't seem appealing but haven't noticed that when I've searched youtube.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts