Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at a Challenger for a while now, reality is the V8's are just out of my price range and I've mostly been looking at SXT Plus. But I found a dealer with a couple of new 2016 RT 5.7L heavily discounted. If they are discounted as they say, it makes them affordable for me.

Problem is they had two, and the one I wanted with the STP just sold this morning. They are working on the price of the other one (same color same options just minus STP) for me right now but that no STP is kind of bothering me.

So I guess the real question is....is 5.7V8 worth it if I lose the STP? As there are plenty of SXT Plus's around here with the STP.

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
I'm definitely in the minority here but I had one Challenger with STP and I will not buy another. I don't like the looks, the rough ride or the damage if you happen to tap a parking bumper. In your case if that car is discounted like some of the 2016s around here (list $43k discounted to $29K) I'd go and jump on it and if you must have a lowered car get the Mopar stage one springs. Not having the pages shouldn't be a show stopper.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm definitely in the minority here but I had one Challenger with STP and I will not buy another. I don't like the looks, the rough ride or the damage if you happen to tap a parking bumper. In your case if that car is discounted like some of the 2016s around here (list $43k discounted to $29K) I'd go and jump on it and if you must have a lowered car get the Mopar stage one springs. Not having the pages shouldn't be a show stopper.
Interesting. Yeah the pages weren't a show stopper, just more concerned about all the handling upgrades (not really the slightly lowered look but more how it drives) that come in the Super Track Pak. It's a 2016 RT Plus with sticker of $41k discounted to $29k. It would be a lease, so I wouldn't be able to modify it.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,881 Posts
I am definitely on the other side of the coin, I won't buy another Challenger without STP!!!! The handling and the wheel gap is what sold me, I never use the performance pages, the car drives great the way it is everyday for me. (with STP of course!)

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
hold out / have dealer(s) search for an R/T equipped with STP.

The standard R/T suspension - tuned for a soft ride, and there's body roll in cornering. Quite a bit of it.

On the R/T Plus (8.4 radio is std. on Plus trim level)

The STP on R/T adds:
*Rear parking sensors
*Backup camera
*Performance Pages
*Steering Wheel Paddle shifters (automatic)
*Granite Crystal 20" wheels (dark gray finish vs. std. silver finish 20" wheel)
*Performance Steering

The PP also adds Sport mode which allows you to tailor steering effort, engine response, transmission shifting (auto), and ESP mode of operation.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I definitely couldn't do without the STP. I had STP on my 2016, have it on my 2017 and will have it on my 2018. It makes the car imo.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
I have a '15 without STP, iif I throw the SRT springs I have on it will it be as good as the STP? Should I go Bilsteins too? Should I Get Bilsteins and Sate 1s?
That would help, but the other suspension component is the larger rear sway bar. This also makes a big difference in the (far less) amount of body roll.

the Stage 1s would lower the car a bit more, and they're firmer than the STP springs. Bilsteins are the more moderately priced performance shock.

·
Registered
2016 challenger rt shaker
64 Posts
Also if the sport mode function is only available with STP, then know that when driving in sport mode the MDS is disabled. That's something, for me, is a must.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
What Hal Said, it's the best option for the $ you can get. No way you could add all that for the price. STP is a must have for an R/T in my opinion. Search around yourself, see if the dealer will do a dealer trade for you once you find the car.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Get the V8 for sure, but shop around for a STP car if you can. You'll regret getting a 6 banger if you already prefer the Hemi. Always get the most hp you can.

An alternative scenario is getting a deal on a Hemi car without STP and upgrading with MOPAR Stage 1 springs when you can afford it to improve stance and stiffness.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I had one without and my current one with STP.Both were/are R/Ts with 5.7l v8.In everyday normal street driving the non STP car is fine.It has a smoother ride but will have more body lean in corners.The one I have now with STP rides more firmly but has less body lean and better brakes but the biggest selling points for me are the lower ride height reducing that SUV wheel gap non STP cars have and the Performance pages and being able to disable mds in Sport Mode.Nothing against v 6 Challengers as I have had two prior to getting into the v 8's but I would take the R/T v8 non STP Challenger over the V 6 Challenger with STP.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have a non STP 2016 RT ( 6 speed). I have friends who have cars with the STP and have driven them.

It really comes down to your driving style. For me, the STP is a non factor considering I live in Chicago so tight turns aren't an issue for me. I do admit that getting on and off ramps isn't as confidence inspiring as driving a car with STP but I can remedy that with aftermarket suspension.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Interesting. Yeah the pages weren't a show stopper, just more concerned about all the handling upgrades (not really the slightly lowered look but more how it drives) that come in the Super Track Pak. It's a 2016 RT Plus with sticker of $41k discounted to $29k. It would be a lease, so I wouldn't be able to modify it.
What kind of mods are you talking about? Tint and emblems? You can do that. I leased with and got the full intention of buying and then did some non warranty threatening mods.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Also if the sport mode function is only available with STP, then know that when driving in sport mode the MDS is disabled. That's something, for me, is a must.
Really?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree, the Super Track Pak is the only way to go. The car weighs too much to NOT get the STP. It makes it handle like a lighter car.

As for people complaining about the "rough ride", I say, what? I don't notice it, and I'm 59 years old...

My wife and I have taken many trips in this car, and she's never complained, either. (she drives an Acura, BTW) Maybe she's used to it, since in our 37 years together, I've owned a loooong line of performance cars. (the only one she ever really complained about was my '90 Firebird Formula with the WS6 suspension option, but I do admit, that thing DID ride rough as hell)

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I agree, the Super Track Pak is the only way to go. The car weighs too much to NOT get the STP. It makes it handle like a lighter car.

As for people complaining about the "rough ride", I say, what? I don't notice it, and I'm 59 years old...

My wife and I have taken many trips in this car, and she's never complained, either. (she drives an Acura, BTW) Maybe she's used to it, since in our 37 years together, I've owned a loooong line of performance cars. (the only one she ever really complained about was my '90 Firebird Formula with the WS6 suspension option, but I do admit, that thing DID ride rough as hell)
In the city my Scat Pack rides very rough too. Exceptional on the highway.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think i could survive on a manual without STP, it is a little softer and I do prefer the stance of STP but It was fine on my previous. Automatic I would consider it a must for me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Agreed. For a big heavy car like this- Get the Super Track Pack. Much better steering, cornering, braking and a responsiveness from the car than Challengers without. As mentioned, the car sits lower but you get used to it after a while.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts