Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
337 Posts
From what I've read I believe the reason is because they launched them in 2009 when the bankruptcy hit and they hadn't made that many (around 250 R/T's I think).

B5

·
Registered
199 Posts
IMO Dodge had some target build number of B5 2009 'Spring Special' cars but the bankruptcy/shutdown required a spillover to early 2010 cars to meet the total number.

Unfortunately, Dodge does not release color quantities on 2010 models so the total B5 2009/2010 build number is a mystery unless someone has inside information.

·
Registered
40 Posts
IMO Dodge had some target build number of B5 2009 'Spring Special' cars but the bankruptcy/shutdown required a spillover to early 2010 cars to meet the total number.

Unfortunately, Dodge does not release color quantities on 2010 models so the total B5 2009/2010 build number is a mystery unless someone has inside information.
I don't get why they don't release the numbers. Its not like its national security info or anything!!! Hmm maybe I should check WikiLeaks...LOL

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I've read I believe the reason is because they launched them in 2009 when the bankruptcy hit and they hadn't made that many (around 250 R/T's I think).

B5
Pretty sure this is the correct answer Al.

Think there is any big difference between the 2009 and 2010

·
Registered
585 Posts
2009 cars came with a lifetime powertrain warranty, while 2010 had 100,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
What about the 2010 having the Super Trak Pak option and the 2009 not having it.......or functional hood scoop....buy mainly the STP ability to turn off ESP completely

·
Registered
165 Posts

B5
This is indeed the correct answer. The trak pak wasn't yet available for the run of 2010 B5 Blues and only the Classic have functional hood scoops. Also, the number of cars produced with the retro/impact colors are not based on supply and demand. Dodge sets a certain time period for ordering these impact colors and once the ordering period ends, that's it. Of course Dodge being Dodge, they occasionally change the ordering periods from the original stated dates and they brought back Hemi Orange for another run. You just never know what's coming up.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is indeed the correct answer. The trak pak wasn't yet available for the run of 2010 B5 Blues and only the Classic have functional hood scoops. Also, the number of cars produced with the retro/impact colors are not based on supply and demand. Dodge sets a certain time period for ordering these impact colors and once the ordering period ends, that's it. Of course Dodge being Dodge, they occasionally change the ordering periods from the original stated dates and they brought back Hemi Orange for another run. You just never know what's coming up.

That Sucks

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Also, the number of cars produced with the retro/impact colors are not based on supply and demand. Dodge sets a certain time period for ordering these impact colors and once the ordering period ends, that's it.
How is this not supply and demand? Though the impact cars have an "ordering window", Dodge built as many as ordered, right?! (Unlike, say, the IE, where the cars are limited to 1492 no matter the demand.)

·
Registered
165 Posts
How is this not supply and demand? Though the impact cars have an "ordering window", Dodge built as many as ordered, right?! (Unlike, say, the IE, where the cars are limited to 1492 no matter the demand.)
According to your argument, all car companies should stop producing cars today, because everyone that wanted a car could have purchased or ordered one today and therefore supply has met demand. Obviously this is taking your premise to an extreme, but it illustrates my point. Individual's circumstances change daily as they get new jobs, get bonuses, lose a job, their current car breaks, they get in accidents and need a new car, etc. In economics, equilibrium is reached where the intersection of the supply curve and the demand curve intersect. If supply = demand and Dodge produces one more car, they would not be able to sell it at a particular price (let's say the cost of producing the car + $100 profit), but like I said before, demand changes daily for big ticket items such as cars. If one believes that Dodge could have sold additional B5 Blue Challengers at a profit as I do, than the decision to stop producing B5 Blue was not based on supply and demand, because demand changes daily, weekly, monthly, etc. Thanks for the reply and the discussion. Very interesting! Sorry that this is a bit off topic from the original thread.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The supply: Dodge takes a paint "vat" normally reserved for "regular" colors and offers to build "high-impact" colored cars. An "order window" is created to determine the current demand. (Hey, can't keep the paint "vat" reserved for too long: gotta build 300s and Chargers)

The demand: Interested customers go in and order said car. Dealers and brokers order a "few" extra based on forecasted interest.

The supply: Dodge looks at this demand and builds the cars.

The demand: (Hopefully) Customers buy their cars. Dealers and brokers sell off remaining inventories... (hopefully)

Everybody's happy unless:
(1) Customer's don't like the final product and don't buy; thereby reducing demand.
(2) Customer's love and buy final product but dealers can't sell remaining inventories. Said Challengers sit on lots "forever".
(3) Customer's love and buy final product, dealers and brokers sell remaining inventories, and Dodge produces another batch of the "high-impact" color; thereby pissing off Customers who thought that Dodge wouldn't offer that color again...

Back to topic.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,735 Posts
There are still B5 Blue, Detonator Yellow, Plum Crazy, Furious Fuchsia, as well as every other color cars all around the country so I think it's safe to say the supply has far exceeded the demand. Chrysler's going to have to offer some serious incentives to move out the '10s to make room for the '11s.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts