Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What you guys/gals think? I image if Chrysler remains as tuff as they were with the last model cars it'll be at least a year before the aftermarket guys crack the codes. I can only image what kind of numbers itll produce with a few bolt-ons!

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
At the rate Dodge is delaying the ordering, probably before the car is.:popblood:

Reactions: Supercharged_Fun

·
Registered
167 Posts
Bolt-ons (CAI, exhausts, etc) probably a few months. For the 392 Challenger, Corsa, Hennessey, and others had 392 bolt-ons several months after release.

For a tune, going by the 392 experience, a couple of years. I hope I am wrong.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I dont imagine there will be moderate demand for major upgrades like increases in boost and fuel algorithm until the warranty period is over.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392
1,536 Posts
Bolt-ons (CAI, exhausts, etc) probably a few months. For the 392 Challenger, Corsa, Hennessey, and others had 392 bolt-ons several months after release.

For a tune, going by the 392 experience, a couple of years. I hope I am wrong.
Agreed...392 hit in 2011 and wasn't really tuneable for real mods for nearly 2 years from release. But I'd bet we see some type of intake upgrades and of course exhaust REALLY quickly (few months). Maybe some headers soon as well but without a tune I would not swap headers yet, so manufacturers may not be in a hurry to do this either.
I'd like to see an intake made that utilizes BOTH inside lights that comes with a drivers side intake opening to place on the passenger side...route them both to a LARGER smoother intake and see if any benefit to be had there... Exhaust seems pretty open...maybe lose the valve and leave it alone. I'm sure someone will delete the rear resonator entirely...wonder how that would sound...mids without cats, but that would throw a CEL for sure. Weight loss mods (rear seat delete) and strut tower braces should come out near immediately since will be similar to the same thing...

I dont imagine there will be moderate demand for major upgrades like increases in boost and fuel algorithm until the warranty period is over.
Likely not to be too lucrative a spot for tuners and shops anyway seeing as there are only ~3000 a year made...and how many of those will want to tune and mod MORE than a bolt on or two? Maybe 10%? So lets say 350 absolute max a year want to mod more than moderately...I don't think it will be a HUGE focus for most shops unfortunately. Something will come out without a doubt but if they have to spend a bunch of money to develop mods for minimal opportunity for profit...will have to be a HellCat enthusiast at the shop wanting maybe their OWN car cranked up to a reasonable maximum.

·
Premium Member
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
What you guys/gals think? I image if Chrysler remains as tuff as they were with the last model cars it'll be at least a year before the aftermarket guys crack the codes. I can only image what kind of numbers itll produce with a few bolt-ons!
If what I have learned is true it's not going to happen unless it comes from SRT, the dealership as far as increased hp and boost. Very hard to say what the encryption will be at this point until somebody such as Arrington or Hennessey get there hands on the car.
The aftermarket already has many items available for the 392 so bolt-on items shouldn't be an issue it's going to be interesting to see how it all works out once the 2015's make it into owners hands and the hot rodding starts.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If what I have learned is true it's not going to happen unless it comes from SRT, the dealership as far as increased hp and boost. Very hard to say what the encryption will be at this point until somebody such as Arrington or Hennessey get there hands on the car.
The aftermarket already has many items available for the 392 so bolt-on items shouldn't be an issue it's going to be interesting to see how it all works out once the 2015's make it into owners hands and the hot rodding starts.
Meaning they have increased the security/encryption? One of the videos somewhere mentioned something about "what owners would do to crank it up" and the engineer stated he was certain SRT HellCat owners would start increasing the power as soon as they got their hands on it. I'd think a few well made bolt ons and some porting could pickup 2-3%... another 12-20 whp in this case. I doubt much was left "on the table" though... Beyond that would need a tune...

If Dodge/SRT really have it that well locked up but then plan to sell "tune" and "upgrades" as dealership installed options and maintain warranty then I'm good with that! As long as it's reasonable compared to aftermarket costs... Say if a tune can add 1.5 lbs boost (it's electronically limited) and have a factory long tube header option and that package adds 60 hp and costs $3,000 installed....I'd do that!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Honestly, 700 HP is enough for me. Might as well leave well enough alone.

I'm sure it will be enough for me for a few months...or until I head to the track and roll race a modified Vette or CTS-V and get edged out by a half car length...then it will need "a little more power" and "a little less weight" lol. Nature of the beast...
When I first got my 392 I thought it was FAST and had a TON of power...WHOA 470hp?!?! Then about 60-90 days later...wanted more rubber behind it, more sound and a bit easier breathing to pickup a bit more power. Now it's got about every naturally aspirated mod that I could do and gained about 100 whp...and was planning forging and supercharging for another 200 hp until this HC was announced to be 707 hp.

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
don't see the need for anything to change on the hellcat

put racing pads on, catch can?, tower braces and race coil overs if u really need it but the car should be very fun to drive as it is with traction control off and enough for most of the drivers on this forum including me to get slight motion sickness on a road course

imo, it is presumptuous to want to stick a $400 CAI in a $80k car w/ 707 hp-200 mph, surrounded by enhanced electronics that has no support from the manufacturer to do so

people don't know when they have a great product in their hands;

aftermarket is a solution for a 300/400 hp car to become twice what it is and i really like aftermarket; that makes my SRT more trackable and fun to drive

but for the hellcat? really?

why don't we want to spend money on track sessions with instructors to become better car handling drivers and improve response time on the strip before seeking to spend $$$ for tunes and CAIs

just my opinion

ODP

Reactions: Rusrec00

·
Registered
16,301 Posts
Even upping the rear tire size might void your warranty on this monster. ..I wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
CAI - Umm why? are you saying you don't want forced outside air induction, and you'd rather have something that performs less?

I'm thinking of more smaller things - a tstat first, only reason they have to put 200+ in there is strictly for emission reasons otherwise we know they'd opt for a cooler tstat. I live in Vegas, so this is probably a bit more important to me.

Possibly meth injection? We know it has a great inter-cooler system but could it be improved for a relatively small cost?

Race gas? is there any gains to be had there? 91 is the best we have here, but theres stations I could goto to get 100.

Regardless, In my opinion I still think its an amazing car that doesn't need much done to it at all.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
don't see the need for anything to change on the hellcat
put racing pads on, catch can?, tower braces and race coil overs if u really need it but the car should be very fun to drive as it is with traction control off and enough for most of the drivers on this forum including me to get slight motion sickness on a road course

imo, it is presumptuous to want to stick a $400 CAI in a $80k car w/ 707 hp-200 mph, surrounded by enhanced electronics that has no support from the manufacturer to do so
people don't know when they have a great product in their hands;

aftermarket is a solution for a 300/400 hp car to become twice what it is and i really like aftermarket; that makes my SRT more trackable and fun to drive
but for the hellcat? really?

why don't we want to spend money on track sessions with instructors to become better car handling drivers and improve response time on the strip before seeking to spend $$$ for tunes and CAIs
Really depends how you plan to use the car...
I agree with the driving training/sessions for road racing guys for sure...and for that scenario more power wouldn't be where I went with this car anyway...what you say above about higher end pads, strut bracing and a bit of weight loss would be all it "needs" if anything...

For those of us that roll race OR just like to have things we own a bit custom and not like ALL the others that's where I disagree. I'm sure the engineers did a fantastic job on the intake and etc but what IF someone in the aftermarket makes something 10% better for $300 that allows smoother airflow and gain 1% (7-8 whp)?...why NOT do that? I cannot see them voiding warranty over a CAI.

BUT I do agree that this car "needs" way less than anything I have ever owned...my year 1 plan is shorter springs to get it down about a half inch, tint, wider rear tires (315s), custom hood wrap/clean bra, drive it! year 2...see what becomes available mod wise and IF it's worth it. Maybe some mild weight loss if we can't do a mildly aggressive tune and headers or add a couple lbs of boost.

Even upping the rear tire size might void your warranty on this monster. ..I wouldn't touch it.
Na -they told us they put 305 DRs on (Nitto 555R) for the 10.8 sec quarter... A tire won't void a warranty. Neither will exhaust mods (with the exception of cat delete and header swap but in my opinion even that shouldn't void anything other than the entire exhaust as it's now not stock one).

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
CAI - Umm why? are you saying you don't want forced outside air induction, and you'd rather have something that performs less?

I'm thinking of more smaller things - a tstat first, only reason they have to put 200+ in there is strictly for emission reasons otherwise we know they'd opt for a cooler tstat. I live in Vegas, so this is probably a bit more important to me.

Possibly meth injection? We know it has a great inter-cooler system but could it be improved for a relatively small cost?

Race gas? is there any gains to be had there? 91 is the best we have here, but theres stations I could goto to get 100.

Regardless, In my opinion I still think its an amazing car that doesn't need much done to it at all.
In terms of CAI I was just thinking a LARGER airbox with a better flowing/larger filter...and possibly feed it more by opening up the light on the passenger inside also and route it to it... :) this won't gain much but even 1-2% improvement on 635 whp is 6-12 whp. Not bad for $350 or so.

I had not considered a tstat but have done it in my past several vehicles and like it...I was concerned here that it's designed to work at 200 degrees and has all tolerances built around that...I know I gained average power in my 392 and my truck with them... likely that I will do this also. Wonder if its the same factory 203 degree one that's in 5.7 and 6.4L stock... Either way without a tune the coolant will flow a bit more but the fans won't kick on any earlier. I did drop one into my 392 before we were able to tune and it helped bring things down a bit but not as much as once it was tuned.

Higher octane gas really only shows a gain if tuned for it...we have 93 around here...might run a TINY bit better but negligible...

Personally I have no experience with meth injection systems. I have a buddy that runs it on his GT500 and says it's incredible. NOS is more common I think and most setups can handle a 75 shot without tuning...so that's a possibility here but I really don't like sometimes power mods like that. But with this setup...the HC has plenty of power for street driving only time I'd want significantly more IS on the top end on a racetrack so I may consider NOS in the future...75 shot top end only.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ive midded and driven nitrous added snowmobiles and turbo snowmobiles and its the same thing withe cars: theres always someone faster. Plus the curiosity of how much furthur you can take a build. IMO when working with boost thats the only way to rock- you're not going to feel a 20 or 50 whp gain when you are base lining 707.

Go big or leave it alone. That will require fuel management changes or piggyback systems. Until they're available we can all happily drive as the factory warranty runs to zero. Maybe take a driving school lesson or 2.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.