Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Challenger SRT 6 spd with less than 40,000 kms on it. While in for an oil change at the stealership, the tech advised my front pads were getting "thin" and that I should change both rotors & pads; and he quoted me CAD$ 520.00 for the whole job...wtf ? I don't track the car, & only use it for stop & go city driving (i.e. groceries, car meets, liquor store, etc.) Do our Brembos only last that long ? Second opinion perhaps ? Thanks in advance for your advice. :smile:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Age seems normal, but 520 wtf, I will buy the ceramic ones online for like 70, and do the job yourself, so easy, just pull pins out, tons of videos out there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Isn't that only about $70, with the exchange rate?

He did say pads and rotors, but I would get a second opinion. I can see pads wearing that quickly. That is 25,000 miles. It's not unheard of. I'm questioning the rotors needing replaced that soon, though.

Dealerships push parts. They want as much money coming in as possible. I'm surprised he didn't say calipers, too.

I, too, would do it myself, but not everyone has the ability, tools, or space.

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
The mileage on your Brembo pads depends on the type of driving that you do. A lot of stop and go driving or hard braking will make the pads wear out faster. Under normal conditions, the front pads should last about 35,000 miles.

Buy a high performance, low-dust brake pad like Power Stop Z26, Hawk HPS, or EBC Redstuff Ceramic and install them yourself. Brembos are made for racing and quick changes- there is no need to remove the calipers.

Watch this DIY video to see how easy it is to remove and install Brembo pads with simple tools.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Cuda/guys,

Info/advice/DIY vid much appreciated...I'm glad I don't need to change rotors which I found highly dubious on the tech advisors part.

Now onto ordering the pads (most practical Hawk HPS) and getting them on....cheers !

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
931 Posts
The way those Brembos dust up you would think they would be gone in a year. My 2010 SRT had just under 10K on it when I swapped out the pads to Power Stops. At 10K the pads still looked like 85-90%.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was just curious & shopped around different dealerships to ask how much it'd cost to install the Hawk HPS front pads. Most were quoting me 1.5 to 2hrs labour coz it was on an SRT...Wtf ? :icon_eek:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dumb Question...

Never having did my own brakes, I have a n00b question:
Do I need to buy 1 box of pads for each rotor?
Or will 1 box give me enough to do both rotors?

I'm looking at buying these Speedlogix ones:
HAWK HIGH PERFORMANCE STREET 5.0 FRONT BRAKE PADS 2005-2014 6.1L/392/6.4L 300/CHALLENGER/CHARGER/MAGNUM 2015-2016 392/6.4L SCAT PACK CHALLENGER/CHARGER 2006-2010 6.1L GRAND CHEROKEE.

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
Never having did my own brakes, I have a n00b question:
Do I need to buy 1 box of pads for each rotor?
Or will 1 box give me enough to do both rotors?

I'm looking at buying these Speedlogix ones:
HAWK HIGH PERFORMANCE STREET 5.0 FRONT BRAKE PADS 2005-2014 6.1L/392/6.4L 300/CHALLENGER/CHARGER/MAGNUM 2015-2016 392/6.4L SCAT PACK CHALLENGER/CHARGER 2006-2010 6.1L GRAND CHEROKEE.
each package is for the pair of brakes (L & R side) - if its front, that's the "front axle", i.e., both sides.

·
Registered
97 Posts
OK, just ordered the following:

Front:
Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Front Brake Pads 2005-2014 6.1L/392/6.4L 300/Challenger/Charger/Magnum 2015-2016 392/6.4L Scat Pack Challenger/Charger 2006-2010 6.1L Grand Cherokee

Rear:
Hawk HP Plus Rear Brake Pads 2005-2017 6.1L/392/6.4L/6.2L Challenger/Charger/300/Magnum/Grand Cherokee

I'm just short of 24K miles on my Scat Pack, brakes are squeaking more.
Been down the drag strip about 22x in the last year.
Going to be painting the calipers and putting dodge stripe center caps in the wheels, so I decided to check the pads as well and change them also if needed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Initial results

Ok, the speed shop I wanted to do the install was overbooked last week so I ended up having the Hawk HPS front pads
installed at the dealership I bought the SRT from. They had their "Viper" tech do the 1.5 hour job :|

Anyways, I bedded the Hawks as prescribed on the box and here are my initial observations (after approx.50kms of city/highway driving)

1) More pedal pressure required for the same stopping distance
2) Same brake dust accumulation on rims
3) Same old Brembo squeak under the same braking (low) speeds

AND after looking at the discarded OEM Brembo pads, there was still like 55-60% pad life left on them (after 7 yrs/45000 kms)

I am hoping the Hawk pad performance will improve after a few more kms on the road. And that the brake squeak will miraculously disappear.

Will update this thread then. :11:

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I just swapped out my Brembo pads for Power Stop Z23's, my car has less than 400 miles and the brake dust was everywhere from the Brembo's, so far so good with the Power Stop's, stopped awesome during break-in as well.

It took me around two hours, which included washing, and drying the wheels and calipers, if I was working in a shop with a hoist and not being so fussy cleaning everything I think I could do all four in 30 - 40 minutes.

This video helped...

·
Registered
97 Posts
OK did the job on Sunday the 6th.
Took most of the day as I didn't get started until late about 10:00am.
Realized I had to do some running around buying tools and such.

Front pads still had at least 50% pad left as others have noted.
I swapped 'em out anyway with the Hawk HP 5.0's.
Back pads looks unused, so I left those in.
Was easier than I thought it would be.

Painted all 4 calipers Bright Red with a G2 paint kit. (2 coats of paint on each)
Applied the Brembo stickers after letting the paint dry for about 1-1/2hrs.

Turned out nice, I'm happy with it.

Oh Yeah, replaced the center caps as well with the Dodge stripe caps.

Bedded the brakes as recommended for my pads from the Hawk website.
(6-10 30-35mph moderate stops, 2-3 40-45mph hard stops, then let cool down.)
No squeaking at all now and stopping power seems as good as with the original pads.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
OK did the job on Sunday the 6th.
Took most of the day as I didn't get started until late about 10:00am.
Realized I had to do some running around buying tools and such.

Front pads still had at least 50% pad left as others have noted.
I swapped 'em out anyway with the Hawk HP 5.0's.
Back pads looks unused, so I left those in.
Was easier than I thought it would be.

Painted all 4 calipers Bright Red with a G2 paint kit. (2 coats of paint on each)
Applied the Brembo stickers after letting the paint dry for about 1-1/2hrs.

Turned out nice, I'm happy with it.

Oh Yeah, replaced the center caps as well with the Dodge stripe caps.

Bedded the brakes as recommended for my pads from the Hawk website.
(6-10 30-35mph moderate stops, 2-3 40-45mph hard stops, then let cool down.)
No squeaking at all now and stopping power seems as good as with the original pads.
Looks good. I just replaced pads and rotors recently. Pads were probably at 75%+ after 25k miles. Squeal is completely gone and wheels are staying cleaner on the Ceramic pads.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Final Results

OK, after more kms put on the Challenger and 2 more bedding attempts:

1) LESS dust is now accumulating on the front rims (compared to OEM Brembos)
2) Braking power/stopping distance is back to same as the OEM Brembos
3) Brake Squeal is still there but I can attribute this to the stock/OEM Rotors which have not been replaced

Conclusion : I would recommend HAWK HPS front Pads/Or even the HAWK High Performance Street 5.0 !

Good Stuff ! :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts