Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a challenger not to long ago and wondering if I should keep it long term or not, based on how long these cars last. Also any suggestions on keeping the car running smoothly for a long time? How long do Challengers usually last on average with basic care? * I have a base model 2015 SXT V6 Challenger.

• Please state model and year of the Challenger you have (SXT,RT,SRT, or any other)
  • How many miles does it have?
  • What are the problems that the car has had so far?

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
So how many miles are on your car now? The 3.6 is a really good engine. Just keep up with the regular oil changes. I have a 2016 SXT with 40K on it. No issues so far.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I just got a challenger not to long ago and wondering if I should keep it long term or not, based on how long these cars last. Also any suggestions on keeping the car running smoothly for a long time? How long do Challengers usually last on average with basic care? * I have a base model 2015 SXT V6 Challenger.

• Please state model and year of the Challenger you have (SXT,RT,SRT, or any other)
  • How many miles does it have?
  • What are the problems that the car has had so far?
My Hellcat has around 18,750 miles. The miles are too few to really know what kind of service life the car will have.

But I have driven other cars for anywhere from 4 months to 16 years and 28K miles to 317K miles.

My info is -- I forget where I got this from -- is an automobile gasoline ICE has 10,000 hours of run time. At an average of 30mph -- which is based on my experience is about what an "average" driver averages over time -- this works out to 300,000 miles. The engine that accumulated 317K miles in fine shape didn't show any signs of engine wear. The car was taken off the road due to a problem (based on error codes related to the secondary air injection system) 3 attempts by 2 dealers couldn't find and fix. The dealer of the last attempt wanted me to leave a blank check to fund a possible engine drop and tear down. The car needed a clutch and flywheel too -- its first in 317K miles -- and that cost ($4K or more) plus the unknown cost of addressing the other issue I just sold the car as a roller. Otherwise the car was in pretty good shape. Everything worked. No leaks.

What helps a car obtain old age with minimal issues is regular servicing. Unless the factory calls for oil/filter services at fewer miles I service the engine oil at 5K miles (or in the case of the Hellcat if I don't reach 5K miles in 6 months every 6 months: The last time I only put 3K miles on the car in 6 months).

I'm pretty OCD about this. One has to be because so much is at stake. I have been known to have the oil changed just before a road trip then after the road trip -- which lasts a week -- get back in town with 5K miles on the oil (this in a week's worth of driving). I change the the oil.

Besides oil/filter services other fluid services are done on schedule or sooner. For example for one car the factory called for 90K mile fluid services but I had this done at 60K miles.

I am a believer in used factory fluids. I have no desire to use my cars as test platforms to try to find a suitable alternative say engine oil. Likewise I use factory filters, and other spare parts.

Every 4 years or so I have the coolant drained and refilled with fresh.

Brake fluid flushed and bled every 2 years. This includes the clutch hydraulic system that in some of my cars shares fluid the the brake hydraulic system.

Belts, plugs, engine air and cabin air filters, fuel filter if applicable, all changed on schedule or sooner. My road trips often had me driving in pretty dusty areas and so I'd change the filters every year or so, which some years was 40K miles of driving.

Tires and brakes changed as required due to wear (or in the case of tires a flat which sometimes requires at least 2 tires be replaced sometimes all 4).

I have some mechanical empathy for the car. Easy use until the engine (drivetrain) is up to temperature. If pushed hard I allow for a cool down "lap", some easy driving to let the engine shed often times a huge heat load.

And my cars get regular use. Cars just don't like to sit unused.

The cars are kept reasonably clean. And "little" things are taken care of. Burned out lights. A leaky door seal. Flaky power windows. Etc. It is easier to drop say $3K on a car to address a serious but not fatal problem (if dealt with properly) if the rest of the car is in good condition.

Luck is also a factor. What can take an otherwise good but high mileage older car off the road quicker than you can say "cat" is an accident. If airbags go off you can kiss the car goodbye. It will be declared a total loss.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That V6 engine is great. With basic recommended care there is no reason why you can't get over 200k or beyond. I just crossed 230k on my V6 Charger. If you just got it and it was previously owned, this is a guess based on how well it was cared for before. But if it is running well, keep up on maintenance. Maybe an occasional oil analysis to see how engine wear is going.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Biggest weakness of all Challenger models is the foam in the body that blocks the drain holes. If you drive daily in a wet environment especially where salt is used on the road you can expect rust through in 5-6 years. This can vary widely though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the ‘15 quality is anything like my old ‘08 Charger 3.5, I had that car for ten years with 250,000 miles. Only issue I had was a little oil leak, sold it when I decided it was time for a Hemi. Just keep up with fluid changes, brakes, diff, oil, coolant, etc and it will last you a long time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have about 60,000 on my '12 R/T and it's basically like new, so at this point I'm thinking it will last indefinitely.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Had a 2009 Challenger SRT8 which was purchased new. Had 95,000 miles when I sold it in 2019. Owned it for more than 10 years. Serviced at the dealer since new. Biggest problem was the front suspension. Replaced both front control arms and tie rod ends around 80,000 miles. Cost $2,000 and it still wasn’t great. The front suspension issues may have been due to the terrible road conditions where I live and also because I drove the car in the winters. I live in the Chicago area. One of the replies mentioned the rust problems after 5-6 years which I agree with. Mine was starting to rust in the rear quarters.

Other than the suspension and rust issues my SRT8 was reliable. Normal maintenance items, brakes, 1 set of pads at around 45,000 miles and rotors and pads around 80,000 miles. 1 battery, an alternator were replaced at various miles. Also agree with the reply that regular maintenance will prolong the longevity of your car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 R/T with 33,000. Have experienced 0 problems with this car to date. Also have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 and 172,000 mile. Had to replace the trans cooler, no other issues. Also have a 2013 Chrysler 200 with 3.6 and a little over 100,000 miles, no issues so far. the 3.6 is a very reliable engine. Regular maintenance prevents most problems.
20190724_160043.jpg
20190724_160027.jpg
20190724_160004.jpg
20190313_164952.jpg

·
Registered
121 Posts
It will last until you stop the TLC. Wash & wax, oil changes for everything, brake fluid flushes, you name it.

I got 338,335 miles on a Toyota 22re before it tossed a rod. road salt killed the body shell.

There is a price for neglect and another for maintenance. You choose which appeals to your desire. I like fully depreciated cars, no Comp, Collision, glass. Fixing is free if you do not make car payments & new car insurance.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My '12 R/T w/M6 trans now has 120K miles on it after the last road trip this past weekend, it has been a relatively flawless runner and I have kept maintenance up on the vehicle over the last 7+ years I have owned the car, up to and including oil/filter changes every 8K miles w/AmsOil synthetics, differential oil change every oil change, and trans oil change every other oil change. Have also done cooling system flush & refill @ 100K, new battery as well at that time, and new front brake pads @ 82K miles along with a complete brake fluid flush/refill at that time. Mods done have been K&N CAI w/Airaid dry filter, clutch delay valve delete, skip shift eliminator, complete factory SRT exhaust from cylinder heads/factory mids and 3" cat back Flowmaster system, 180 deg. thermostat, and Pedal Commander to kill the throttle "lag" with the electric throttle. Car does not use or leak any fluids, and it runs like new.
IMG_8758.JPG

Problems? The dreaded blend door actuator that failed, had to be the one on top and in back, was a biyatch to replace but did it myself, cost $28 for the part. Had set O2 sensor code when I did the exhaust upgrade, but that was traced back to me not plugging in the left rear sensor when I did the exhaust. No other problems, runs clean enough to pass an emissions test. Also, the airbag warning light that had been stubbornly intermittent was remedied by unplugging and replugging the passenger seat sensor plugs a few years ago. I live in a dry climate in AZ so no rust-related problems either.
Keep up your maintenance and problems are much fewer and further between! Also doesn't hurt to read up on things both online and in forums like this one. :cool::)

·
Premium Member
10,027 Posts
When I sold my '13 SXT it had roughly 80k miles and never once gave me any issues.

I currently have an SRT Challenger with upwards of 60k miles and the only issue I've run into was with the sunroof / headliner that was replaced under warranty.

- Alexis

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
My '13 R/T with 71,200 miles has been trouble free. I use Mobil 1 and change it about every 5,000 miles. At about the 100,000 mark I will have more maintenance items to take care of; but, I take decent (not OCD) care of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts