Dodge Challenger Forum banner

How Long of a Burnout to Destroy Rear Tires?

• 23 seconds

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 56 seconds

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • 93 seconds

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car & Driver, in its March 2020 issue, did an experiment to see how long it would take for a 707 hp. Challenger SRT Hellcat to totally destroy a $722 set of Pirelli P Zero PZ4 tires, size 305/35-ZR20. After the burnout, each tire lost an amazing 8 lbs. of rubber!

After you guess, scroll down for the answer.

Answer: 93 seconds

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Pirelli tires came on my 2016 Challenger HellCat, I hated those tires and not just due to lack of grip.

·
Registered
614 Posts
A video was not available, but how about this one. A guy burned his tires down to the steel wheels.

Beautiful car idk about his suit though lol

Them headers where like blowtorches

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
so, that works out to like $7.80 per second of smoke production...dang thats expensive!!!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
so, that works out to like $7.80 per second of smoke production...dang thats expensive!!!!
Watch "One last time for my DAD R.I.P." on YouTube

After that there still going lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,757 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,434 Posts
My guess is tire spin causes the tires to wear out faster. It's not a burn out but my guess is it takes out more rubber than a slow acceleration
Yeah, no guessing about it, let a tire roll along and it will last for years. Let it slip it will last for a couple minutes... I don't understand why the question was asked, not the actual question.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yeah, no guessing about it, let a tire roll along and it will last for years. Let it slip it will last for a couple minutes... I don't understand why the question was asked, not the actual question.
probably was common sense as far as tire wear with burns outs and such, just wanted to verify. Probably will adjust my driving habits so i'm not running through tires

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well it is not so much tire wear as it is quicker elapsed times. If I can go quicker spinning the tires, I'd do that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
probably was common sense as far as tire wear with burns outs and such, just wanted to verify. Probably will adjust my driving habits so i'm not running through tires
Yeah, question makes sense. Basically you can wear tires out even if they dont break traction. Pressure, heat, and load wears tires. Even a heavy car versus a light car will wear the same tires differently even if no spin is achieved. Think if a pencil eraser. Light pressure on a paper will move the paper, but as you increase load and direction the rubber wears out. So does the paper.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,434 Posts
...the rubber wears out. So does the paper.
Reminds me of a burnout a buddy did, back in the 1980s in his 1971 Mustang at the college parking lot after it was re-paved. After the burnout, the car wouldn't move forward or back. We got out and saw why, he dug a hole in the new pavement and we had to rock the car out of it! The marks stayed there for many years, but he never parked anywhere near them again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts