Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we know that mild hybrid setups are coming up for the next generation of Challengers and Chargers, along with weight reduction and better suspension. Hopefully the new platform will accommodate wider tires without using fender flares as well. While these are all good things, the thing I'm wondering the most about is the soul of these Mopars: V8 Hemis. The CEO said last year that the supercharged 700 horsepower V8's are going to be going the way of the dodo eventually. Does this mean that twin turbo 4 and 6 cylinders will become the main power plants? Does this preclude at least one V8 option for top tier models? If I can't get a 392 in the next gen car, it probably makes more sense to buy a current gen while they're still available

·
Registered
248 Posts
I feel that V8s will stay on the performance models. (Scat Pack/SRT)

SXT and R/T might move to FCA's new inline six, "Tornado". NA for SXT and either SC or TT for R/T. I'm pretty sure that the aging 5.7 Hemi will get axed in favor of a smaller displacement engine making the same or better power.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,297 Posts
if any brand is going to hold firm on thier V8 line up..its going to be dodge imho.
I agree with Gront. I may come down to being an option on / within the perf line up within certain models, but no way is dodge going to cut the cord on all & everything that the 6.2l hellcat motor has & is currently doing for the brand, least anytime soon.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I remember reading in Hot Rod magazine in the 90's I think. The death of the V8. Well that didn't work out. I guess at least 25 years more. No proof, strictly me.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good points. Hopefully the use of hybrid electric setups will allow for the continuation of the V8 for the next decade, and will maybe even help with going faster. I'm not against electrification if it provides more speed and efficiency.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,637 Posts
I'd rather see the current body style and a 1k H.P. full electric version kinda like this:

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I'm both disgusted, and aroused...
What's there to be disgusted about? 0-60 in 1.9 seconds and Eco friendly to boot. No one wants manual steering, window cranks, manual brakes anymore, so it will be with the ICE, a remnant of the past.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
What's there to be disgusted about? 0-60 in 1.9 seconds and Eco friendly to boot. No one wants manual steering, window cranks, manual brakes anymore, so it will be with the ICE, a remnant of the past.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, yes, but it's also still a classic Mustang...I think I might cry if anyone did this to an original e-body Challenger/Cuda. Unless it's a '72-'74, they can have those.

On the other hand, I'm all for resto mods, but only if the car isn't something special/rare already, like a numbers matching 428 Cobra Jet Mustang or a '71 Hemi Challenger. So I guess this is fine, the car was probably originally just a 289 or 302 fastback. There were tons of those made.

On the OTHER hand, a car that has no real engine noise, especially a muscle car that lacks that V8 rumble, just seems strange to me.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Shoot steering wheels will be a thing of the past too. I suspect once self drivers get big, insurance companies will charge you double for coverage if your car is not a self drive.
The biggest thing holding them back is the auto manufacturers trying to figure out how much to pay per death when they do have a malfunction.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Shoot steering wheels will be a thing of the past too. I suspect once self drivers get big, insurance companies will charge you double for coverage if your car is not a self drive.
The biggest thing holding them back is the auto manufacturers trying to figure out how much to pay per death when they do have a malfunction.
The only reason I'd buy a self-driver is for doing groceries.

Me too but, you can;t stop the future. They don't sell buggy whips on every corner anymore.
Not everyone had a horse, much less a buggy to pull with it. Find me a family in America without at least one car.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Me too but, you can;t stop the future. They don't sell buggy whips on every corner anymore.
True, but the thing that bugs me most about the electric vehicle trend is I'm not convinced that they're actually all that much more environmentally friendly than gasoline engines, so I see this push for electrification as largely pointless. The processes for mining and refining the materials for the battery packs they use, plus the production processes themselves, are pretty filthy for the environment. They often require rare earth metals, and you should see the region in China where 95% of the world's supply of those metals comes from. It looks like a toxic moonscape.

And what do we do with the battery packs that wear out? Not all of them will or can be recycled, and they're filled with toxic substances. At least you can melt down engine blocks and re-use the metal. Sure, the amount of carbon produced by the power plant for one charge in your vehicle is less than the amount produced by many gasoline powered vehicles for the same driving range, but does that really offset the additional environmental costs that electric vehicles introduce?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll happily pay that extra premium to remain in control of my own car. I'm all for technological advances that increase efficiency and effectiveness, but not those that engender weakness and laziness and introduce major vulnerabilities. It would be relatively simple for hackers to take control of either an individual car (which has already been demonstrated with contemporary cars) or a joint traffic control system that a bunch of self-driving cars are hooked into and wreak mass havoc or demand massive ransoms.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Electric cars are not eco-friendly. That is a huge myth. Most use electricity generated from coal, oil or natural gas fired powerplants. The batteries are a hazmat daymare. Producing the batteries and disposing of the batteries is a messy non eco endeavor. When most cars become electric, they will overwhelm our power grids.

Reactions: oldhp and praiseV8

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Electric cars are not eco-friendly. That is a huge myth. Most use electricity generated from coal, oil or natural gas fired powerplants. The batteries are a hazmat daymare. Producing the batteries and disposing of the batteries is a messy non eco endeavor. When most cars become electric, they will overwhelm our power grids.
Thank you! My point exactly from earlier.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts