Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just wondering how many guys we have on here that own one? I myself own a 71 Dodge Challenger with R/T Stripes. 383 Big Block and 727 Automatic. It's a Work In Progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
challengerowner said:
Hey, just wondering how many guys we have on here that own one? I myself own a 71 Dodge Challenger with R/T Stripes. 383 Big Block and 727 Automatic. It's a Work In Progress.
I've owned a '74 very similar in appearance to the following, but with a white vinyl roof, a white double pinstripe (the 'real' thing) along the top of the quarter panels...from front to rear, as well being 'shod' with Goodyear 'Polyglass GT' tires (F70-14 up front / L60-14 on the rear) mounted on American Racing 'Vector' mags. Unfortunately, my ex-wife insisted on keeping it as part of our divorce settlement in the early 80's. :( I did, however, inherit a 1982 Dodge 'Challenger' via my present wife a few years later, but that car was simply a Mitsubishi import just 'hiding' behind the Dodge 'Challenger' name. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch sorry to hear that about your 74. If you have the money and want another 70-74 Challenger I can probably locate a nice driver. Don't know what you're looking for price wise but, 10k-15k will buy a nice Challenger or Barracuda.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 70 Challenger R/T SE that I am restoring and my old man also has a 70 Challenger, but his is a plum crazy 340 with the R/T hood and rear valance.

·
Registered
77 Posts
challenger owner thats a very nice car you got there man! i dont have a chally but i have a 68 charger! :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
challengerowner said:
Ouch sorry to hear that about your 74. If you have the money and want another 70-74 Challenger I can probably locate a nice driver. Don't know what you're looking for price wise but, 10k-15k will buy a nice Challenger or Barracuda.
If for some reason DCX decides to 'screw-up' the new generation Dodge 'Challenger' production model by not following through with what we've all seen in those 'spy shots'/concept drawings, then I will most certainly consider purchasing a '70-'74 model...one in either 'gently pre-owned' condition or a semi-'resto' (can't afford one of those 'ground-up' Barret-Jackson 'restos'). I'll definitely keep your offer in mind...thanks. ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not a Challenger but it's twin...

I've had 2 E-Body Cars in the last 15 years but sadly none since I sold the '71 'Cuda 4 years ago. Ironically neither of them ever drove while I owned them. The '71 I sold "recently" was due to an expensive Motor Swap, a lil body work and paint that was taking way too long due to time/money. But she sold a big profit so who can complain (I regret it badly). The '73 Barracuda "project" was a complete well.... disaster, between not knowing what I was doing back then and not knowing anyone that did and then trying to do it on no budget (also long ago) she just never got the work done that would have been needed. Last I heard she was being Drag Raced for a living... Heh, not with the motor she had.. lol

The plan has been to start looking for another in about 2 more years but with this "New E-Body" coming up and the fact that old ones cost WAY more then this right now will it just seems like destiny.

I'll try to find some project pics but sadly almost none still exist (don't ask)

Keep the stories coming.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
'73 Challenger- pink panther pink - 318, '74 Challenger - same blue as pictured above with black vinyl roof - 360, '73 'Cuda - semi built 440, '71 GTX Hemi. Not all mine but in our family.

Scott

·
Registered
25 Posts
'70 Challenger - Originally a 318 car. Now sporting 340 sixpak, sixpak fiberglass hood, 727 slapstick, 8-3/4" 3.23 Limited Slip, big brakes (drum), 235/60/15 BFG T/A's on 15"x7" Cragar SS. This was my first car, paid $2100 in 1979 and is still good for a quick adrenalin rush!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, glad to see some more replies to this thread. Anyways, my Challenger will hopefully be going to the paint shop in a month or so. My friends works in a classic car shop so I will just do a body off restoration on it. :D That way I have something ready for the spring.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was gonna get a classic Challenger in the next few years... now I'll probably just get a new one if they don't screw it up right before they start ptoducing it. I'd still like to get a classic someday though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I currenlty have a 73 Challenger Rally 340. The 340 was already out of it when I got it sad to say. It currently has a stock build 400 out of a 72 Dodge Charger, but I have almost completed a 440 build to put into it. Soon to have it running again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I still have my 74 challenger. I purchased it from the original owner in 1984. It was built with a 318 engine, 904 transmission, column shift, manual steering, power brakes and a rally package. I swapped the 318 for a mopar crate 360 engine with a 727 transmission.

·
Registered
492 Posts
challenger74 said:
I still have my 74 challenger. I purchased it from the original owner in 1984. It was built with a 318 engine, 904 transmission, column shift, manual steering, power brakes and a rally package. I swapped the 318 for a mopar crate 360 engine with a 727 transmission.
Nice car. Do you possibly have a larger photo of your car that you can share with some of us who are visually impaired..thanks. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
challenger74 said:
How does that 360 run? I was thinking about going that way once. Is it the 380 hp version?

·
Registered
7 Posts
O BOY .I sure regret to say that i no longer own my 70 340 challenger and i parted out my 71 that got wrecked by some fool that ran a stop sign .it was a 318 car with a 4 spd and 8.75 diff .i had swaped a 340 t/a block with a six pack into it before the wreck .but this was many years ago but i still have the six pack set up and the pistol grip shiter that just like new i bought it when i was an appentice for dodge in the 80's .i do still own a 340 demon .i have also owned a 72 cuda 73 challenger .69 and 70 charger r/t's and currently own a srt-4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mr.DJ said:
Nice car. Do you possibly have a larger photo of your car that you can share with some of us who are visually impaired..thanks. :D
I am having a problem posting pictures to this forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1973_Challenger said:
How does that 360 run? I was thinking about going that way once. Is it the 380 hp version?
No it wasn't the 380 hp. version. It is a 10:1 comp. Mopar Performance short block assy.
I used a set of J heads with the stock 360 intake, carb and air cleaner housing to keep it looking stock. The heads were ported with new valves and seats installed. The exhaust uses TTI headers dumping into the stock exhaust system. The rear axle has a 2:76 gear set. The gear set makes my daily 60 mile comute to work in the summer time very enjoyable.

1 - 20 of 275 Posts