Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many Mopar 10's are still out there. In February my Mopar 10 passed 10 years. Today I have 174k miles and still going strong. 3 engine builds, only the last at 166k because of any issue (lifters). Not that I would ever part with it; just curious of 250 (blue stripe) how many do you think remain.

IMG_0550.JPG

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what does 3 engine builds mean? did you have to replace the engine 3 times?
The first was one of the very first approved timing chain recall at about 50k. So I took the opportunity to do the 392 Cam swap, headers etc. The second I had exhaust manifold leaks and cracked headers at about 130k, so we took the opportunity to check and replace the cam and push rods ( minor wear but we were there so might as well). The third I should have done with the second. At 160k ish liffter started making a racket. So we went in and did it all again, new lifters, push rods, springs etc. oh and of course new timing chain, guide and tensioner. How much - around $2k. She has just over 174k and runs better than new! 364 ish HP/355 TQ at the rear wheels.

·
Registered
706 Posts
The first was one of the very first approved timing chain recall at about 50k. So I took the opportunity to do the 392 Cam swap, headers etc. The second I had exhaust manifold leaks and cracked headers at about 130k, so we took the opportunity to check and replace the cam and push rods ( minor wear but we were there so might as well). The third I should have done with the second. At 160k ish liffter started making a racket. So we went in and did it all again, new lifters, push rods, springs etc. oh and of course new timing chain, guide and tensioner. How much - around $2k. She has just over 174k and runs better than new! 364 ish HP/355 TQ at the rear wheels.
2k doesn't seem to bad. Was everything done at the dealership? Wanted to get an idea of cost down the road after my extended warranty is over in 2 years

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2k doesn't seem to bad. Was everything done at the dealership? Wanted to get an idea of cost down the road after my extended warranty is over in 2 years
The installation was done at the Dodge Dealer - as I have used this one mechanic for years, and he's great. The parts are all mostly all Mopar (push Rods from, springs, seals etc. from Shop Hemi) bought myself to avoid the dealer mark-up.

·
Super Moderator
15,591 Posts
your description made it sound like your engine needed three rebuilds, when actually it was:

- P01 service campaign to replace timing chain & related components. Cam swap and (presumably) aftermarket headers at the same time

- issues aftermarket headers and replaced cam / pushrods

- replace lifters due to excess noise / higher mileage wear

Reactions: SRT8outtaLA

·
Registered
706 Posts
The installation was done at the Dodge Dealer - as I have used this one mechanic for years, and he's great. The parts are all mostly all Mopar (push Rods from, springs, seals etc. from Shop Hemi) bought myself to avoid the dealer mark-up.
What city is the dealership at? I have yet to find a trusty mechanic and dealership

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
your description made it sound like your engine needed three rebuilds, when actually it was:

- P01 service campaign to replace timing chain & related components. Cam swap and (presumably) aftermarket headers at the same time

- issues aftermarket headers and replaced cam / pushrods

- replace lifters due to excess noise / higher mileage wear
Thanks Hal - the only engine failure was #3 the lifters and #2 leaky exhaust manifold gaskets (we did use Mopar) even though the headers cam with gaskets.

·
Super Moderator
15,591 Posts
aftermarket headers vary in quality - some can be atrocious quality the flange and the sealing beads can make a huge difference. and quality of welds, tubing wall thickness as well

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
aftermarket headers vary in quality - some can be atrocious quality the flange and the sealing beads can make a huge difference. and quality of welds, tubing wall thickness as well
Exactly - cracked at the weld joints

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
How many Mopar 10's are still out there. In February my Mopar 10 passed 10 years. Today I have 174k miles and still going strong. 3 engine builds, only the last at 166k because of any issue (lifters). Not that I would ever part with it; just curious of 250 (blue stripe) how many do you think remain.

View attachment 995289
That's a great car! I love seeing long time Challenger owners post about their cars? How's the interior holding up? Any pics?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks good considering the miles. Are you driving it in the snow and salt up there in NH?
I store it from late November until early May, have been for the last 7 of it's 10 years. I did drive in the winter for the first 3 or so seasons, and if you have winter tires - no issues with the snow.

·
Super Moderator
15,591 Posts
you might want to consider having the driver's seat re-dyed and that leather conditioned. It look really dry and cracking - surprised since Katzkin leather (supplier of those covers) usually holds up really well.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you might want to consider having the driver's seat re-dyed and that leather conditioned. It look really dry and cracking - surprised since Katzkin leather (supplier of those covers) usually holds up really well.
Thanks Hall - had an interior guy treat the drivers seat a while back - probably needs it again. I bet I couldn't get a replacement skin at this point. Could always try.

·
Registered
423 Posts
They only built 500, so I'm sure there are probably still 500. Some probably have been coverd up and put in a barn for preservation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts