Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Is this a for real question?

Have you ever looked at your headlights?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
HID's??

You can get them almost anywhere. Even stereo shops will carry them and install them.

Expect to pay anywhere from $350 to $500 installed depending where you live.

Kits will include ignitor, ballast, wiring, and 2 bulbs.

·
Super Moderator
17,434 Posts
The OEM setup:

HID lights low beam: D1S - the high beam function uses a solenoid operated "shutter" mechanism. Although the HID high beam listings indicate a 9005 high beam bulb - didn't realize there were actually two different bulbs used in the HID housing on Dodge vehicles.

Standard headlights use the 9008 / H13 dual beam style capsule.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Aghh where is ThereAre4Lights when you need him? :icon_eek:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
sho is alot of money
True, but I think they're worth it. Use less power once lit, run cooler than halogens, last longer, better light, and makes other drivers more aware in a sea of head lights.

Their only weak spot is rain with unmarked roads IMHO.

The price I was quoting was in Canadian funds and aftermarket. Could be cheaper in the States? Check to see what Dodge wants for a factory set-up and then see the damage on your wallet. They'll want to change your reflectors and everything.

The aftermarket HID's have 1 filament that moves back and forth an 1/8" via a small magnet. That's how it mimics the 2 different filaments.

I did this to my 08 Road Glide a while back and took a video through a #9 welders glass to show how it works. Could post it if you want?

Other option is the PIAA's. Not really the same. $80 Can. and they are about 4500K. Real HID's that you see in most cars are around 6000 to 7500K. You can get them up to 13,000/14,000K, but they change color the higher you go.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
True, but I think they're worth it. Use less power once lit, run cooler than halogens, last longer, better light, and makes other drivers more aware in a sea of head lights.

Their only weak spot is rain with unmarked roads IMHO.

The price I was quoting was in Canadian funds and aftermarket. Could be cheaper in the States? Check to see what Dodge wants for a factory set-up and then see the damage on your wallet. They'll want to change your reflectors and everything.

The aftermarket HID's have 1 filament that moves back and forth an 1/8" via a small magnet. That's how it mimics the 2 different filaments.

I did this to my 08 Road Glide a while back and took a video through a #9 welders glass to show how it works. Could post it if you want?

Other option is the PIAA's. Not really the same. $80 Can. and they are about 4500K. Real HID's that you see in most cars are around 6000 to 7500K. You can get them up to 13,000/14,000K, but they change color the higher you go.

Yes I would love to see them, can you post some pics? Thanks for the enough. So I really can not get that blue color without HID's is what you are saying. Thanks once more.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
The OEM setup:

HID lights low beam: D1S - the high beam function uses a solenoid operated "shutter" mechanism. Although the HID high beam listings indicate a 9005 high beam bulb - didn't realize there were actually two different bulbs used in the HID housing on Dodge vehicles.
....curious. What documentation is saying the HID equipped Challengers are using a 9005 bulb for a high beam? The setup should be the same as what you have described here and in the past (and how others like it are designed). The solenoid operated, cut-off shield is moved when the high beam switch is activated allowing the light from the bulb to pass through the projector unobstructed.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
OP, do you have HID's or halogens? If the latter, I would urge you to read the following link. It explains why HID kits in non-HID applications are a bad idea (performance and safety-wise) especially in a reflector headlamps. (HINT: reflector headlamps and halogen projectors are designed to work with a specific halogen bulb/light source. Alter the physical characteristics of that source and of course the beam pattern will be affected).:

Thinking of Converting to HID?

This one discusses wavelengths/colors and why some (like blue) perform so poorly:

Dangerous, illegal, blue headlight bulbs

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OP, do you have HID's or halogens? If the latter, I would urge you to read the following link. It explains why HID kits in non-HID applications are a bad idea (performance and safety-wise) especially in a reflector headlamps. (HINT: reflector headlamps and halogen projectors are designed to work with a specific halogen bulb/light source. Alter the physical characteristics of that source and of course the beam pattern will be affected).:

Thinking of Converting to HID?

This one discusses wavelengths/colors and why some (like blue) perform so poorly:

Dangerous, illegal, blue headlight bulbs

I have the plain ones. so... I guess none HID.
So I guess to be safe I am stuck with what I have?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I have the plain ones. so... I guess none HID.
So I guess to be safe I am stuck with what I have?

Not necessarily. High efficacy bulbs like the Osram Nightbreaker +90 or the Phillips X-treme Power +80 (for example) perform noticeably better than typical OEM solutions. IN this example, the Osram's are not available in your size (which I believe is the 9008/H13 application) but the Phillips are.

The idea behind these high efficacy (or "plus" bulbs) is that they provide more light than standard solutions. The Osrams I mentioned are considered "+90" while the Phillips are "+80". ....90% or 80% more light. It's all relative and while the claims of the additional output are a little far fetched IMO/IME, they still do make quite a noticeable difference over OEM replacements.

I ran the Osrams in my DD/wife's Forester for about 1 1/2 years and just installed the Phillips X-treme back in Aug. My only gripe with the Osrams is their use of bands of faint, blue tint on the top and bottom of the bulb. Phillips also added a very thin band at the very top of theirs. This is likely to help satisfy consumers looking for "whiter" light but still leaving plenty of real, usable light for performance. In either case, both provided a noticeable difference in light output in this application over stock.

Note that high efficacy lights typically don't last as long as standard OEM replacements or "long life" bulbs. The length of time will vary. If you want to use my Forester as an example consider that the car has daytime running lights, it's driven on a 120 mile commute several days during the week and the lights are turned on during the morning stretch (and used both in the morning and returning home during the short days of the winter months).

....some folks will even source other manufacturers OEM HID projectors, ballasts and bulbs and retrofit them into their existing halogen housings. Although illegal, this is (IMO) a much better alternative to "kits" if done correctly. There are even companies that perform this service. ....its becoming pretty common and usually quite a bit cheaper compared to buying the whole factory set up.

·
Super Moderator
17,434 Posts
....curious. What documentation is saying the HID equipped Challengers are using a 9005 bulb for a high beam? The setup should be the same as what you have described here and in the past (and how others like it are designed). The solenoid operated, cut-off shield is moved when the high beam switch is activated allowing the light from the bulb to pass through the projector unobstructed.
The owners manual states there's a 9005 high beam bulb + the D1S (and mentions about see dealer for replacement [likely due to shock hazard for the HID ballasts].

I also checked on some online auto parts listings for the '09 HID bulb listings and both D1S (low beam) and 9005 (high beam) are listed.

The prior years on MB Bi-Xenon setups used 1 bulb and the shutter system, but Dodge changed this up or their applications, apparently.

Here's a .pdf of that page from the 2009 owner's manual:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
The owners manual states there's a 9005 high beam bulb + the D1S (and mentions about see dealer for replacement [likely due to shock hazard for the HID ballasts].

I also checked on some online auto parts listings for the '09 HID bulb listings and both D1S (low beam) and 9005 (high beam) are listed.

The prior years on MB Bi-Xenon setups used 1 bulb and the shutter system, but Dodge changed this up or their applications, apparently.

Here's a .pdf of that page from the 2009 owner's manual:
....yeah. That's really odd Hal. That's a first for me. I would like to see a more descriptive explanation on how it works.

Apparently, the HIDs activate regardless if the headlamps are off when you flip the high beams on. However, whats odd to me is that it doesnt appear that there is another bulb supplementing the HID's when you do this on a cold setup. I just see a cool, purple glow of light you normally see at start up with HIDs. ....and the light eventually gets whiter as they warm up.

I have seen and heard of stand alone halogens coupled with HIDs but never both in the same projector. ....not to say this isn't the case with our application but I just found it odd.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.