Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a challenger not to long ago and wondering if I should keep it long term or not, based on how long these cars last. Also any suggestions on keeping the car running smoothly for a long time? How long do Challengers usually last on average with basic care? * I have a base model 2015 SXT V6 Challenger.

• Please state model and year of the Challenger you have (SXT,RT,SRT, or any other)
  • How many miles does it have?
  • What are the problems that the car has had so far?

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,403 Posts
2015 SRT. 34000+ miles. I have had zero warranty worthy issues. Like any machine, following the manufacturer recommended service intervals coupled with not abusing it, it should “last” a long, long time. Emphasis on the word “should.” Stuff happens no matter how well you care for it sometimes. That’s just life.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
2015 R/T 10,000 miles.
Battery issues. bricked u-connect @ 3000 miles. heater blend door @9,000 miles. Altenator whine.
2015 R/T SP. 8300 miles.
Battery issues. Uphostery fraying despite car being pampered.
2018 Hellcat WB 7550 miles.
Random paddle shift flare. soft paint...otherwise beautifully flawless.

Best advice: do not skip or skimp on maintenance, especially oil changes. Use SRT filter.
Buy a cheap battery tender ($15-20) use it as often as practical and everytime the car may sit for more than a week undriven. Store keys away from the car. Consider paint protection.
:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2015 R/T 10,000 miles.
Battery issues. bricked u-connect @ 3000 miles. heater blend door @9,000 miles. Altenator whine.
2015 R/T SP. 8300 miles.
Battery issues. Uphostery fraying despite car being pampered.
2018 Hellcat WB 7550 miles.
Random paddle shift flare. soft paint...otherwise beautifully flawless.

Best advice: do not skip or skimp on maintenance, especially oil changes. Use SRT filter.
Buy a cheap battery tender ($15-20) use it as often as practical and everytime the car may sit for more than a week undriven. Store keys away from the car. Consider paint protection.
:)
Thanks for the advice! Do you service it at a Dodge Dealership only? Or is it a car that's has common builds similar to other cars and can be brought to any mechanic? Im wondering because with an Audi almost every mechanic shop I took it to it was said that the job is to difficult and required the mechanics to do a little research and I took it to the Audi dealership after that. Although I am assuming that with the models you stated R/T and up, you probably take them to the Dodge dealership.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
I had a 2010 R/T, 2012 R/T, 2013 R/T, 2014 R/T and a 2016 SXT Plus. All bought new. The 2010, 2012 and 2014 I had for 2 years each, all manual trans and the 2013 I had for one year (didn't like the 5 speed auto). The 2016 I still have. Out of all of them I only had to see the dealer about a non-recall issue once, that being a driveshaft vibration on the 2012. I do all my own maintenance. Cheaper, quicker and far less chance of damage.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
My 2016 5.7 RT Plus has about 22500 Miles. Bought it used over a year ago at 18000 miles. No issues to date. It was a rental vehicle. I store it for the winters here.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I purchased my '13 R/T in March, 2017, with about 35,000 on it. It now has 71,000 miles on it and the only issue I've had is the hood seal (rubber material) has cracked and split. It's a $50.00 part one can easily replace by themselves at home. I don't race it; but, I do drive it aggressively. I've taken it over 100 mph on many occasions and past 130 mph once. I haven't nailed it from a dead stop on many occasions, either. I change the oil at about 5,000 mile intervals and use Mobil 1 and MOPAR oil filters. Take reasonable care of your car and it should take good care of you.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Thanks for the advice! Do you service it at a Dodge Dealership only? Or is it a car that's has common builds similar to other cars and can be brought to any mechanic? Im wondering because with an Audi almost every mechanic shop I took it to it was said that the job is to difficult and required the mechanics to do a little research and I took it to the Audi dealership after that. Although I am assuming that with the models you stated R/T and up, you probably take them to the Dodge dealership.
I try to avoid the dealership at all cost. I'm local to 3 of them, only 1 is any good and of course its the furthest away and always slammed, but that dealership has done any of the things that were covered under warranty, like the u-connect on the R/T.
Otherwise, I do most all of my own maintenance and log/document it, in the event dodge ever needs to verify.
These cars are generally trouble free, if you take care of them and dont abuse them. Like anything else, there are great ones and ones that seem to have been cursed before they left the factory. In my case, even the things that have gone wrong, were all relatively minor and it seems dodge just keeps getting better & better, the fit, finish, trouble fee'ness and just general build quality on my 18 is noticably better then my 15's.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 2018 R/T Scat Pack with 4500 miles on the odometer. I have had zero issues with the car. I have been doing my own oil changes using the required 0w-40 Penzoil Ultra Premium and I use the SRT oil filter. I document my oil changes & even shoot a video. Oil changes are required every six months regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a 2017 Scat Pack with 13k. The only warranty issue had been the water pump about 1000 miles ago. My car is kept in the garage and not driven much in the winter. I am lucky to have a company car and will use the Challenger as my retirement daily driver but have a few more years to go. I service the car at the dealership.

·
Registered
110 Posts
2015 6sp Scat that just turned 36K miles. Only minor issues...replaced a wheel sensor and the radiator (which was known to be defective).

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,917 Posts
2016 SXT Plus, 15,000 miles, gets dusty quickly

A Guy

·
Registered
321 Posts
2016 scatpack shaker 392..no issues as of yet. Approx. 15000 miles. Seasonally driven. No racing just fun.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts