Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm debating on upgrading my 130 to a 430 rbz. I have approximately 3,000 mp3s. Will the unit hold that many? Is there a song LIMIT, or can you literally use the 30 gigs for whatever you want?

Also, is the 130 to 430rbz a basic plug and play? Do I need anything special?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,075 Posts
It would be dependent on the sampling rate of the MP3 files - higher res files will be larger.

In the online RBZ manual I found it mentions the capacity of over 5,000 CD-quality 4 minute songs (depending on the size on the encoded files).

Since you have the RBZ model, you have more space available for music...the Nav versions lose some HDD capacity for the NAV software and database files that are stored on the 430N / RBH model.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be dependent on the sampling rate of the MP3 files - higher res files will be larger.

In the online RBZ manual I found it mentions the capacity of over 5,000 CD-quality 4 minute songs (depending on the size on the encoded files).

Since you have the RBZ model, you have more space available for music...the Nav versions lose some HDD capacity for the NAV software and database files that are stored on the 430N / RBH model.
Thanks for the information Hal, looks like I'll be okay. I actually do not have a 430 rbz unit yet, but I am thinking of upgrading. I thought about getting an aftermarket CD receiver but with harness and install it gets pricey. Is the 430 rbz a direct plug and play for my now base 130?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
It should easily hold 3,000 mp3's. I have the 730 and have close to 3,000 mp3's loaded on it, and have only used about a 3rd of the available space.

·
Super Moderator
15,075 Posts
Thanks for the information Hal, looks like I'll be okay. I actually do not have a 430 rbz unit yet, but I am thinking of upgrading. I thought about getting an aftermarket CD receiver but with harness and install it gets pricey. Is the 430 rbz a direct plug and play for my now base 130?

Thanks!
Should be - low speed bus version (I think we covered that a while back?) and the uConnect connections may be different as the pre '11 versions are different from the '08 - '10 head units which had external uConnect modules.

Other than that, it should be plug & play.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Hal. I'm going to get it. Just put a WTB in the sales section. I hope I can find a good deal. I cannot WAIT to put all my music in my Challenger instead of fumbling with multiple CDs while I drive. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
For what its worth, I did the exact same thing a while ago Jay. Was very much plug and play for me. RBZ even recognized it was in a Dodge and displayed the Dodge logo. Eventually added a backup camera - very happy with that mod!

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For what its worth, I did the exact same thing a while ago Jay. Was very much plug and play for me. RBZ even recognized it was in a Dodge and displayed the Dodge logo. Eventually added a backup camera - very happy with that mod!
Cool! I totally forgot about the lockpic mod that enables the back up camera. Question for you, as far as installation do you just remove the faux carbon fiber trim around the stereo and then pop it out, take the plug out and plug it into the new 430 unit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Cool! I totally forgot about the lockpic mod that enables the back up camera. Question for you, as far as installation do you just remove the faux carbon fiber trim around the stereo and then pop it out, take the plug out and plug it into the new 430 unit?

Thanks!
Yes. I swapped my '13 SXT Plus 130 for a RBZ (out of a '12 jeep latitude), took 20 minutes total to pop out the trim with a little plastic pry tool and lean it out of the way, unscrew and slide out the 130, unsnap the plug from the 130, plug same into the 430, screw it in and press the trim back into place. Make sure you get the security code for the RBZ.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Captain Awesome's description is basically correct for what I did. The only difference is I did not need a security code. My RBZ was out of an older vehicle. I suspect for the 2013 SXT it might matter but for Jay's 2010 I suspect this will not be an issue. I do remember finding an update for the RBZ and am pretty sure I still have it if you end up needing such.

·
Super Moderator
15,075 Posts
Thanks Hal. I'm going to get it. Just put a WTB in the sales section. I hope I can find a good deal. I cannot WAIT to put all my music in my Challenger instead of fumbling with multiple CDs while I drive. :rocker:
I hear you on that. I ordered mine with the MC230 / REQ radio (6-CD changer) as the only other option was the 730N.
I didn't want the nav and the upcharge for that...plus I favored the more 'retro' look of the dual knob radio back then.

If I ordered another Challenger today, I'd go with the MC430 / RBZ and upload my music library like you plan to.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Captain Awesome's description is basically correct for what I did. The only difference is I did not need a security code. My RBZ was out of an older vehicle. I suspect for the 2013 SXT it might matter but for Jay's 2010 I suspect this will not be an issue. I do remember finding an update for the RBZ and am pretty sure I still have it if you end up needing such.
I believe if the donor vehicle is '11+ the RBZ will need the security code.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
What if the RBZ unit is new and was never pared to a vehicle. When I asked the eBay seller about the security code he sent me a phone number to call with instructions about obtaining a code. I can post it if anyone wants.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What if the RBZ unit is new and was never pared to a vehicle. When I asked the eBay seller about the security code he sent me a phone number to call with instructions about obtaining a code. I can post it if anyone wants.
If I end up getting one and have that problem, I will shoot you a PM. Thanks for letting us know! :thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
The unit I got was a dud. Either it's defective or it's not the low speed. I guess I'll see how good the eBay buyer protection is. Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have no steering wheel controls, I have the most basic 130 setup. Should that be an issue when putting in the 430 rbz?

·
Super Moderator
15,075 Posts
I have no steering wheel controls, I have the most basic 130 setup. Should that be an issue when putting in the 430 rbz?
It won't be - for the radio, the steering wheel controls allow volume, changing stations and changing tracks on the CD. All the other settings are done from the radio itself. All the station, preset select and CD functions are also redundantly accessed from the radio's controls themselves.

On the '11+ cars, they have uConnect and Voice Recognition buttons, which the earlier '08 - '10 steering wheel controls don't have.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
102 Posts
I recently upgraded to an RBZ. All my music is on iTunes/my old 60GB iPod. Is it easy to download this format onto the RBZ hard drive?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts