Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 500 rwhp, I'm ok if the roads are dry. Tires break loose briefly at each shift point but controllably. But if the roads are even the tiniest bit wet, or slick, or just a little bit of grit on the road, they break loose like crazy and the back end gets seriously squirley... not something I enjoy, especially when I'm up at speed.

Anyone else have this problem? And if so, what'd you do about it? My thought is 295 size tires on the rear when the stockers wear out, and probably some good sticky ones like Nitto 555r's or so.

Thoughts? Anyone have experience with this, and solve it?

·
Banned
1,655 Posts
I have it in 1st,2nd and 3rd but I have 18" crappy tires for the street. I kinda like the way she lights up at will but Im sure it will get old real quick.

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
555r's arent great in the rain, but fantastic when dry. Really for the weight of our cars their isnt a great option for the dry traction high HP cars need and the wet traction. I can burn my RSA's from a dead stop to 100mph in 4th. I just got a set of my rims in 18's and mounted M&H Drag radials on them to ride on the street for my new blower.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
It's fun if your expecting it the NT05 works fine on the dry but sorta squirrely in the rain on the back roads okay on the highway Verds work better for all around but they are also a summer performance tire and on cold roads they spin like crazy also I'm running 315 but if you go with a 295/45/20 it has a large sidewall and i have heard they actually hook up well.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The tires will fix your problem except on wet surface. I had the same problem on my stock tires until I switched. I was cheap and waited for the stockers to wear out before I switched to the Pirelli PZeros. It was a night and day change and definitely the weakest link. Now I swish I would have changed them out as soon as I got my blower.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My Nitto 555R 305/35/20 tires do the trick but I have never driven the car in the rain.
I can still power shift and get rubber and sometimes sideways in 1-2 and 2-3 shifts

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
I've got Nitto NT05's (not the DR's). 275/40's front and 315/35's rear. They don't make a lot of noise, but they break pretty good and they're wide and soft. Karl said it well...these cars are torquey!

That was a lot of fun, Karl ;-) Hope to see you again soon, buddy!

HemiSam

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I was breaking loose at will (and fish tailing) below 60 mph with the stock Eagle F1s. Outside temp made no difference. I have Prada Spex-X now (which are temp) and I will switch out to Nittos very soon. The tires make all the difference. Just remember--once these tires start hooking for those of us with massive torque, other things are more likely to start breaking.....

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Perfect, this is what I was hoping to hear. Now I have to decide between the Nittos and the Pirelli PZeros (or maybe BFG TA KDWs, etc). I too am cheap like usmc22ss and am waiting for the stockers to wear out.

Anything else on any of these tires you good folks want to mention? Like they're noisy, or squirmy in corners, or low tread life, or REALLY bad in rain, etc?

BayouTiger, my problem has to do with too much torque overwhelming the tire grip. Pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the 08 differential.

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
I purchased a set of nitto 555r and again night and day. I had nitto Nto5 not the r they didnt work too good for me and wore out fast. 2.0 2.5 60ft WS was a problem.
Went to 555rs and 60fts went to 1.7 to 1.8 average. I still cannot mash it from dead dig. 3800to 4000 tc works them over. But a slower mash to the floor keeps them hooked. Then I spray away, in 2nd. 555r are not too bad in wet. Nto5s much worst in rain, I liked the 555r so much I bought a new set, and BW sold me his used with 1/2 wear left. I measured the depth in the tread. So at least I got an extra set.
Best traction, get the 17 stang rims and a set of M&H Drag Slicks. Wrinkle wall. No more dry weather traction problems, great track slick.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts