Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boss at work is looking at getting one. We have been talking a lot lately about the Challenger since I got mine, and I pretty much convinced him the 392 was the way to go. He had been looking at used SRT-8s for a while. His car built on Dodge's website is about $44,500. He would not be getting the I/E. It would just be the 392 with no options. Anybody getting any decent deals yet?

·
Registered
151 Posts
My boss at work is looking at getting one. We have been talking a lot lately about the Challenger since I got mine, and I pretty much convinced him the 392 was the way to go. He had been looking at used SRT-8s for a while. His car built on Dodge's website is about $44,500. He would not be getting the I/E. It would just be the 392 with no options. Anybody getting any decent deals yet?
From when I shopped around (FEB/MAR)...For a 392, if you are paying anything over invoice, go to a different dealer. If your buying a 2010 srt, $35K-$38K for a new one is common.

·
Registered
49 Posts
got mine for $2k under invoice. definitely shouldn't be paying over list...

·
Registered
49 Posts
just checked again and it was actually closer to $3k off.

Red Barron, what do you need the Purchase Order for?

·
Registered
355 Posts
3k under invoice or msrp? I dont see how they could sell it for that cheap.
They can sell it for below invoice because they actually dont pay that much for the car. Chrysler gives the dealers a 3% hold back that gets paid to them quarterly. I attached a configuration sheet from a friends new SRT8 and you will see numbers next to individual codes. the code "HB" is the hold back and on this particular car, the dealer can sell it for invoice and still end up making a profit of 1415.00. Sometimes there are direct factory to dealer incentives to move inventory where they can make even more but currently there are none on the 2011 SRT8 but these incentives exist on 2010's. The other codes are FFP which is friends and family price (typically 1% below invoice) and EP which is employee pricing (typically 5% below invoice). Normally, you should be able to get the FFP pricing on a factory ordered car without much problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
They can sell it for below invoice because they actually dont pay that much for the car. Chrysler gives the dealers a 3% hold back that gets paid to them quarterly. I attached a configuration sheet from a friends new SRT8 and you will see numbers next to individual codes. the code "HB" is the hold back and on this particular car, the dealer can sell it for invoice and still end up making a profit of 1415.00. Sometimes there are direct factory to dealer incentives to move inventory where they can make even more but currently there are none on the 2011 SRT8 but these incentives exist on 2010's. The other codes are FFP which is friends and family price (typically 1% below invoice) and EP which is employee pricing (typically 5% below invoice). Normally, you should be able to get the FFP pricing on a factory ordered car without much problem.
Those claiming more than 1415.00 under invoice may need to re-check their figures, unless the dealer is paying you to take the car. :scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
just checked again and it was actually closer to $3k off.

Red Barron, what do you need the Purchase Order for?
Because he knows that everyone says how great a deal they got but when someone really looks at the deal who knows what they are doing the vast majority of the time the deal isn't quite as good as the buyer says. They usually forget to mention a trade-in they had or some other part of the deal that the dealership used to make you feel good about your purchase.

The only way to really tell what kind of a deal someone got is looking at the paperwork of someone who didn't have a trade-in.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I know they get their 3% holdback from Chrysler but 3% is not 3k.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Because he knows that everyone says how great a deal they got but when someone really looks at the deal who knows what they are doing the vast majority of the time the deal isn't quite as good as the buyer says. They usually forget to mention a trade-in they had or some other part of the deal that the dealership used to make you feel good about your purchase.

The only way to really tell what kind of a deal someone got is looking at the paperwork of someone who didn't have a trade-in.
Trade ins definitely muddy the water and allow lots to claim almost ridiculous new car prices. Some really do get a low new car price, just the time of the year, dealership, who they know, etc. You also can't compare the price of a new car from 1 sold in CA, to 1 in FL, or 1 in NY. Too many variables. Every body wants to say they got a steal and no one wants to admit they got taken. Most are really in the middle.

You also have to make sure that every one is talking out the door price. I've seen too many claim a low sale price, then find out they paid some $500 doc fee, another few hundred in transfer fees, etc.

I figure, if you think you got a good deal, and you're happy, that is all that matters.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You have to look at supply issues these days when guesstimating on pricing, too. On one hand, there really aren't many cars on the ground anywhere right now, and the availability of SRT8's in the near to intermediate future is suspect given the paint embargo is perhaps months from being remedied, causing tight supplies into the summer, at least. On the other hand, the cars on the ground are not flying off the lots, either. Figure gas prices are spooking the herd to some extent. I saw a freelance locator service offering an IE at invoice with no shipping charges to whatever dealer wanted it. This is something that is in someone's inventory, and that dealer is clearly ready to part company with the car. It had a February invoice date. I would say that any deal at or near invoice on one of these cars should be strongly considered a "good deal" for both the customer and the dealer alike. Thanks, and happy shopping. Counterman.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The dealer I was going to order my R/T Classic from does all orders at invoice less 1%. Then they would apply whatever factory rebates were offered. It's too bad they were unable to give me a time frame on when the car would be available in Redline again. I bought a 2010 instead and haven't looked back. My wife said I could get a 392 eventually if finances allow for it and if Hemi Orange or some other retro color makes a return.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts