Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am in the middle of a deal with a dealer and they want 48800 for there car that is just off the truck. Apparently this is what they paid for it. The sticker is 50700. They are roughly taking off 2000 for there car. Is there any other rebates or discounts that they have. Please take into consideration that this is right off the truck so it has not sit on the lot at all. Do dealers give less of a deal for vehicles that have not sit on the lot for a little bit? What kind of deal did you get when you bought your Challenger SRT8?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I think you can do better than that. Then they are gonna add that ridiculous dealer fee and then you paid msrp. Let it sit on the lot and keep looking as there are plenty of them around. Make sure they know that your final # means only tax and DMV will be added. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Negotiate an Off-The-Lot price to avoid last minute "fees".

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Sounds like they are quoting you dealer invoice price. Which is very reasonable for a car that just arrived. SRTs rarely get any incentives.

In general, you are correct: dealers will not negotiate much on a car that is in transit or just arrived. It depends on the dealer, of course. But, in general, the longer it sits on the lot, the more open they are to haggling.

There are many other factors too: are there few SRTs in your area? Is it a hot color? Or is it a unique color which the dealer may want to keep in the showroom for awhile? Does it have any newly available options/package? Is it a harder to find 6-speed? Has the dealer been getting calls on a car like it in recent weeks? Does it have a red interior? It is the still only the start of the year; 2015s cannot be ordered for a few more months; etc. Also, how badly do you want this car? All of these will determine "your" price.

Despite all the macho posturing you will get as advise, just remember no one likes an ultimatum, not even dealers.

The bottom line is: the dealer wants to sell the car. If you REALLY want the car, be firm in what you want but work with the dealer, not against him. The fact that their first quote was invoice price tells me they want to work with you on this car.

PS: You should check www.truecar.com for going market prices in your area.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't have an SRT8, but I agree with an earlier statement. Get an "out the door" price and tell them that you'll walk away if they go a penny over. That's what I did and got 5k off the Challenger and 1.9% on 75 months (which I plan to pay off next year). Don't let the dealer make you pay what they want you to pay.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I don't have an SRT8, but I agree with an earlier statement. Get an "out the door" price and tell them that you'll walk away if they go a penny over. That's what I did and got 5k off the Challenger and 1.9% on 75 months (which I plan to pay off next year). Don't let the dealer make you pay what they want you to pay.
SRTs do not get the incentives that the lower models gets. There are pros and cons to this. Con obviously you are paying more. Pro is that your trade in/resale value will be higher because there are no incentives on these cars. SXTs and RTs get more incentives, but when it comes time for resale/trade in those incentives work against you. And really they don't work against you...it's more a perspective of do you want to pay more now or pay more later?

Your SXT would get far and away more incentives than an SRT so it is not apples to apples.

To the OP, when you are shopping for an SRT your only real options are:

1. Does the company you work for have a corporate discount worked out with Dodge? Mine does (Wells Fargo) and it helped.

2. Were you in the military? I was, again that is additional price reductions.

3. Are you good at haggling and playing dealers against each other? If not bring someone with you to help.

I got my SRT out the door (TTL) for $46,000, sticker is $49,720.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
2014 SRT Challenger "Core"

I ordered mine in June and got it Sept. 3rd and just got two options: Computer Group & Auto Trans:

$41675.00

And the best part is that I just paid it off last week!!!!!!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
721 Posts
^Point well taken. I'd still ask for an "out the door" price so they can't haggle with you.

Exactly...an out the door price is the best number to get so you can keep your final financing numbers straight so you can play with auto finance calculators at home.

Oh another thing, try to get financing through a credit union if you can and you plan to finance. They typically have the best rates.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I ordered mine in June and got it Sept. 3rd and just got two options: Computer Group & Auto Trans:

$41675.00

And the best part is that I just paid it off last week!!!!!!

Good Luck!
Not sure if Cores get rebates that SRTs do not. I would assume they do.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Mine is a SRT and no rebates (which I did not expect)
My salesman had it ordered and I paid $100.00 over Dealer Cost

David
Ah, I didn't think they actually maintained the SRT brand on the Cores since they are reduced in overall features they come with.

Cool

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Ah, I didn't think they actually maintained the SRT brand on the Cores since they are reduced in overall features they come with.

Cool
When I was inquiring about the Challenger I found out that there was a difference of $6000.00 between a Core and the regular SRT8 Challenger.
They do away with the "Bells & Whisles" ie Fog lights, leather, high end radio, GPS, fender emblems, high end "stock" wheels and such what I call "unneccessaries" I can do more with the 6 grand than the factory can and the savings was nothing to shy away from.

David

·
Registered
721 Posts
When I was inquiring about the Challenger I found out that there was a difference of $6000.00 between a Core and the regular SRT8 Challenger.
They do away with the "Bells & Whisles" ie Fog lights, leather, high end radio, GPS, fender emblems, high end "stock" wheels and such what I call "unneccessaries" I can do more with the 6 grand than the factory can and the savings was nothing to shy away from.

David
Sure I hear ya. Cores are too plain jane for my taste.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
$42K before taxes...

Interest rate is probably MORE important than price. I got 1.25%. I got a 3K in incentives. I bought a M6, that save big $$$. I skipped the sunroof, more $$$ (had a sunroof on my last car and used it 3 times in 5 years). I skipped the 730 N. Had that on my RT. I got a 430 N, and it seems basically the same to me, except the NAV is easier for me (similar to old school Garmish). I ordered mine. Got in 34 days!!! (RT took 90 plus days).

I really believe SRT's get delivered faster. I did order 3 options: Vapor Chrome Rims, Grey Stripes and 255 rear tires.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I just wanted a "modern muscle" car, for luxury I have a 2007 & 2012 Chrysler 300 limited.
But I still would rather drive my "plain jane" 2014 SRT Challenger Core.
I would say the Core fits that bill perfectly then.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Don't you believe it when they tell you that you are only paying a couple hundred over dealers invoice. That is a load of crap! They would go out of business if they really did that. Cars are like buying a mattress. A local huge mattress chain advertised their mattresses at 50% off (sale price of $1500) . I bought the same exact mattress for $490. A car will start costing the dealership money after it sits on the lot for 90 days. That is when they will start chopping the price. A local dealership by me, has acres and acres of new cars sitting on a fenced lot. Then he has hundreds sitting at the dealership lot. Because he buys in bulk from the factories, he gets a huge discount from dealers invoice. I got lucky and discovered that my friend was the new General sales manager at my Dodge dealer when I went to buy a Challenger. He actually talked me out of the SRT and I got an RT Plus ( special ordered, no spoiler, sunroof or stripes). My MSRP was $37750. With options and tax/fees I would have paid over $43000. I ended up paying $39k out the door. I saved a little over 3 grand. My friend told me that they don't even advertise Challenger V8's , only SXT's. He said that people who come looking for a V8 are willing or gullible to spend extra . I basically got a fair deal on my car and wasn't taken advantage of. Also, if you finance with the dealers bank, they make more money off of you.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Don't you believe it when they tell you that you are only paying a couple hundred over dealers invoice. That is a load of crap! They would go out of business if they really did that. Cars are like buying a mattress. A local huge mattress chain advertised their mattresses at 50% off (sale price of $1500) . I bought the same exact mattress for $490. A car will start costing the dealership money after it sits on the lot for 90 days. That is when they will start chopping the price. A local dealership by me, has acres and acres of new cars sitting on a fenced lot. Then he has hundreds sitting at the dealership lot. Because he buys in bulk from the factories, he gets a huge discount from dealers invoice. I got lucky and discovered that my friend was the new General sales manager at my Dodge dealer when I went to buy a Challenger. He actually talked me out of the SRT and I got an RT Plus ( special ordered, no spoiler, sunroof or stripes). My MSRP was $37750. With options and tax/fees I would have paid over $43000. I ended up paying $39k out the door. I saved a little over 3 grand. My friend told me that they don't even advertise Challenger V8's , only SXT's. He said that people who come looking for a V8 are willing or gullible to spend extra . I basically got a fair deal on my car and wasn't taken advantage of. Also, if you finance with the dealers bank, they make more money off of you.
Dude, I'm not buying mattresses, and why do I feel that I have to respond to this, is beyond me but, I'll just say this: I have used the same salesman for years and when the Dodge Dealerships were takeing orders for the 2014's (June 11th) the very next day my salesman placed my order for the 2014 SRT Challenger (I already had filled the order form out) that I wanted and when it did arrive, it was detailed and I just picked it up, it never sat on the lot it was "in & out" deal for the dealership (that is why I paid the $100.00 over dealer invoice) and if you do your home work, you'd know that you save $5995.00 right off the bat by buying the Core version so I paid $41675.00 before taxes, put $34,000.00 down and finance the rest through my credit union at 1.99% (which I paid off in 6 months) for a 2014 SRT Challenger and lets see: You got a RT for 39K!

So at the end of the day, you still have an RT and I have the SRT!
You should just buy more mattresses :clap:

Later Dude!

P.S. By the way, I used to be a car salesman back in the 80's and I did get to know the business.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts