Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TL;DR: ~$15,000/year

I just hit 2 years with my 2018 Scat Pack Shaker and, since I keep thorough documentation, I decided to do some calculations to see how much it has actually cost me to own and operate this car.
These calculations do not include modifications, depreciation, the cost of having the money tied up in the car, or unpredictable incidents. This is meant to show the minimum, real-world cost one could reasonably expect to spend on a new Challenger Scat Pack (Shaker) with a manual transmission and no options.

The following is what I spent over two years:
Down payment- $5,000 ($208.33/month)
Finance*- $19,200 ($800.00/month)
Insurance**- $3,720.50 (155.02/month)
Regular maintenance***- $953.10 ($39.71/month)
Registration****- $108.40 ($4.50/month)
Tires*****- $1225.57 ($51.07/month)
Gas**- $4,658.90 ($194.12/month)
TOTAL***- $34,866.11 ($1,452.75/month)

Considering that I've driven ~32,850 miles in these two years****, here's those costs broken down per mile:
Down payment- $0.15
Finance- $0.58
Insurance- $0.11
Maintenance- $0.03
Registration- <$0.01
Tires- $0.04
Gas- $0.14
TOTAL- $1.06

"How much do I need to make to afford a Scat Pack?"
Generally speaking, you don't want the cost of your car to exceed 30% of your total income (30% is on the higher side of what is safe), depending on what other expenses you have. So, based on my expenses, here's what you'd need to earn annually to afford a Scat Pack, by percent of annual income (after taxes):
30%- ~$58,000
25%- ~$70,000
20%- ~$87,500
15%- ~$115,000

*My initial loan was for $29,631.71 at 2.14%APR for 48 months after a ~$14,000 trade in and $5,000 down payment, which required monthly payments of $639.51. However, I've been choosing to pay $800/month to pay the loan off early. This difference has equated to $160.49/month and $0.12/mile.
**I am a 25 year-old male with no accidents or convictions and my Challenger is registered and insured in Minnesota.
***This is doing everything that is called for in the owner's manual at a Dodge dealership and using the Viper oil filter. There's a little bit in there to pay for investigating various noises that come up along the road and peace-of-mind maintenance.
****Minnesota does not require me to pay registration tax on my vehicle. I am only required to pay an annual filing fee.
*****I purchased four 245/45 R20 Continental Extremecontact Sport tires after roughly 12,000 miles on the stock tires.
******I average ~13mpg around town and 24mpg on the highway. I calculated this value estimating that half of my miles have been on the highway and that premium fuel costed an average of $3.30/gallon.
*******According to my window sticker, the Shaker package was $2,800. So, in theory, the car could have cost as little as $28,214.35 in total, $1,175.60/month, and $0.86/mile over the past two years.
********This calculation is intended for calculating costs if a Challenger is your only car. However, for the entire time I've owned my Challenger, I have had a second car that I drive exclusively through the colder months and that splits the load in the warmer months. I have driven approximately 18,500 miles on my second car over these two years which would have all gone on my Challenger if it were my only car, and would increase the operating costs significantly.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Somebody needs to get a life...

Seriously that's some number crunching. And good info. But I don't want to think about it too much or I might realize what my Hellcat is costing me per month.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,373 Posts
Thanks for that very thorough description. I think many of us, me included, don’t have a “true” appreciation for just how much it costs to own and operate a Challenger.....or any other car for that matter.

Your effort is appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This doesn't make much sense. The $24,200 total for down/monthly payments is irrelevant. Depreciation over those 2 years would be a much lower number, and would represent the actual cost of ownership, along with the other expenses.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
serious number crunching. dang.
for me, I dont look at such things, less I really have to, because it can become too easy to un-justify it all...
I crunch the "smiles per miles", what's the price of that and the end of ones life?
just remember some people snort blow at $1k a day bad habit, or loose $25k trackside at a sure win horse race, or blindly risk $1mil in Enron stock, just to be in on a tip...
for me, YOLO, YCTIWY and all that. lol

·
Registered
734 Posts
$953 on regular maintenance on a brand new car??

also lmao at that registration. Gotta love Colorado, (hate this state) mine was $850

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,361 Posts
All these numbers will decrease over time. You can't compute over 2 years unless the car is done, lol

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
918 Posts
Down payment- $5,000 ($208.33/month)
Finance*- $19,200 ($800.00/month)
You're doing it wrong...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Someone has too much time on their hands......

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
All these numbers will decrease over time. You can't compute over 2 years unless the car is done, lol

A Guy
Also every car has consumables no matter what the nameplate on the car is....and all the other fees come with other cars too. I mean somehow you would have to know your "normal" spend and calculate the difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts