Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am not sure if there is already a thread on this subjectI did a search and didn't find one. Anyways, I was just wondering how much horse power(HP) have people been able to get out of their 3.6 L V-6. Please share amount and what you have done to achive your number. This should be interesting and fun to find out what kind of potential these 6 cylinders actually have.:burnout:

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Some folks might call B.S. to my claim, but using several mph and weight calculators online
my last outing to the race track says I'm making 290-300 hp to the ground and when correct
to sea level it's 340-350 hp.

My car was 4320lbs during my test and tune and I ran just over 94 mph around
4000 DA ( density altitude) and when corrected to sea level it was like 99.36 mph.

My e.t.'s are not very good, my mods have just killed the low end torque and my
engine doesn't come on strong til I get past 4 grand, it's a long wait from off the starting
line about 2500 rpms to about 4000 rpms before the car really starts moving.

I have plans to put 3600 stall in to take car of this after I do a few more test and tunes with
cai changes to find the best one that works for my combo.

I have solo catback exhaust with modified stock piping just before the cat back exhaust with h-pipe
and have a heavily ported intake manifold and fastman ported throttle body. I have 2.65 gears.

I have tried stock cai,stock cai with k$n drop in filter and mopar cai and K&N cai 63 series and it
appeared not to be much difference in testing, stock cai with drop in filter (K&N) seems to worked the best but
marginal compared to others, more testing on the way.

I would like to break 100 mph (corrected) next outing, lighten the car some and air up front tires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you go buy what the parts advertise I would be at 305+8 for CAI + 15 for diablosport intune + lets say 10 for solo exhaust that would=338 HP....

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you go buy what the parts advertise I would be at 305+8 for CAI + 15 for diablosport intune + lets say 10 for solo exhaust that would=338 HP....
I think ddeennis is very high on his thoughts. You are much closer to real on your estimates. with my similar mods, the Dyno calls 255 at the wheels and about 325 at the crank.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
I think ddeennis is very high on his thoughts.
You are much closer to real on your estimates. with my similar mods,
the Dyno calls 255 at the wheels and about 325 at the crank.

Really???? So how much am I making? how much power it takes to push 4320lbs down the track
at 94 mph with a DA of 4000 ft and how much power am I making at 99.36mph when corrected to sea level?

I think I'm about spot on. My car and myself weigh more then anyone on this board, the rest of
you are running around 200 -300 lbs less I had to find horsepower to make up for the extra
weight I put on the car and plus carry me to get to even with lighter less horsepower challengers.

290-300 hp to the wheels to push 4320 lbs to 94 mph is about right.

stock car is about 260 hp rear wheels at about 93 mph in good weather at 4000 lbs.

I'm pushing 300 more lbs plus making 1 more mph in a DA of 4000, even just using
the simple 100lbs equals 10 hp I had to make another 30 hp to push my car
down the track. plus make another mph.

On top of that if I get to run on a good day of air, say sea level, my car
will make same hp? well no, it will make about another 40 more horse, every
1000 feet of altitude is about 1 mph.

But like I said some might call b.s. what do I know right.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Heavy

Really???? So how much am I making? how much power it takes to push 4320lbs down the track
at 94 mph with a DA of 4000 ft and how much power am I making at 99.36mph when corrected to sea level?

I think I'm about spot on. My car and myself weigh more then anyone on this board, the rest of
you are running around 200 -300 lbs less I had to find horsepower to make up for the extra
weight I put on the car and plus carry me to get to even with lighter less horsepower challengers.

290-300 hp to the wheels to push 4320 lbs to 94 mph is about right.

stock car is about 260 hp rear wheels at about 93 mph in good weather at 4000 lbs.

I'm pushing 300 more lbs plus making 1 more mph in a DA of 4000, even just using
the simple 100lbs equals 10 hp I had to make another 30 hp to push my car
down the track. plus make another mph.

On top of that if I get to run on a good day of air, say sea level, my car
will make same hp? well no, it will make about another 40 more horse, every
1000 feet of altitude is about 1 mph.

But like I said some might call b.s. what do I know right.
Why is your car so heavy?

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
When I first purchased my car new, I added
a few things like go wing spoiler, rear louvers, 392 chin spoiler, catch can, splash gaurds
it was 4280 lbs with me in it- with about 12 gallons of fuel
I'm 6'3" at 350 lbs.

thru some subtraction I took things out of the car (floor mats, spare, jack, trunk floor....)
and ran on less fuel and got it down to
4189lbs my first track outing on 3/16-13

Now I have a heavier fiberglass hood, hood pins, took
off the stock exhaust replaced with solo which only saved 21 lbs, then added H-pipe few
more pounds back on, to many things changed couldn't keep track of weight.

My last outing to the drag strip, I weighted down my car to make sure there was no variable
in traction since I was testing CAI kits.

I'm down to 325 now and loaded my trunk with a bunch of crap for
the track and filled up the gas tank
and hit the scale and tipped it at 4320lbs race weight for test and tune night.

My first outing best mph was 93.95 mph at 4189 lbs in a DA of 1066 ft

After some more mods/changes I hit the track few weeks ago to test cai kits
and hit over 94 mph at 4320 lbs in a DA of 4200 ft something. So I'm gaining
horsepower.

Best I can figure a stock sxt challenger would be real close with minimal fuel around
3850lbs then a much lighter person 150 to 200 lbs tipping at around 4000/4050 lbs.

So with all my add ons and just myself being 325 lbs I doubt there are any other
sxt owners going to weigh more, so I have to work a little harder to find hp
to make up the difference in weight and extra drag for all the add ons that slow cars
down.

So..... how much horsepower does it take to push a 4320lbs car to 94+mph in 4000 plus DA

More then 255 rearwheel horsepower right?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I went to 4 different sites to calculate and got widely varying results

I have never weighed my car so I just used 4,000 pounds (I weigh 210)....but for the sake of the exercise I used 4,000....then I used my best corrected ET and MPH of 14.4 @97.7....this is what I got

Dragtimes says 279hp....at the FLYWHEEL

calculator pro....tells me 291 hp but not if thats wheel or flywheel

race-cars.net tells me 291 hp....at the wheels

fastcoolcars tells me 278hp at rear wheels and 347 flywheel

so entering the same 3 pieces of info....weight, ET, MPH I get from 279-347 flywheel....and 278-291 rear wheel

I dont think any of them are accurate....or there is no way of knowing which ONE is accurate without dynoing the car, then going thru the calculators to see which one matches the dyno numbers

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Yep, taking it to the Dyno will tell you the facts.
Crap,even the dyno you don't know which one is really telling the truth, so how
can that be fact, we all know you can take your car to one dyno then drive to another
and get another number just like the calculators.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
I think the problem with the hp calculators you don't get to see the math/formula.

For example a simple 1/4 mile hp formula is this.

HP= weight x (mph/234)to the power of 3 , put the 3 up in the air end of the closing parentheses

using these calculators are
no different then all those dynos out there if you want to gauge performance gains use same formula
just as you would use the same dyno.

Dyno numbers are just as flawed as the calculators, neither one is FACT, there all good
measuring tools, just depends on how you use them.

The formula I gave above is of course rear wheel hp.

Whats a stock sxt run? 92 mph say in 2000 DA So you correct that to 94 and give it 4000
lbs race weight the rear wheel horsepower is 259.3 hp , sounds about right don't it?

using this formula Garrettech would make 291.93 hp on the best perfect day based on a 4000lbs car/driver.

Garrettech has done a few mods and 30 hp
for the mods and tuner plus having better gears to get the mph isn't out of the question

So If I used my best correct mph 99.36

The best amount of hp my car would be able to produce on a straight up perfect day is 330.7 horsepower
to the ground.

are these to far off? I don't think so, knowing a stock 3.6 is going to lay down around
250-260 to the ground in stock trim according to a few dynos I have seen and if you just did
in general 305 stock hp minus 18 percent thats 250 hp.

Some might say mine is a far fetch at 330 hp to the ground, but I took mine to the track
I kept track of all weather, I use the same formula, I weighed my car, keep track of data
I did mods that no one else has done, that I know about, so my a little high gets
dismissed thats to much , but it's ok to " stack" hp and call that closer to the truth.................LOL

I hope this isn't the future, I have a horrible way to comunicate and I'm tough to read at times

At least take the car to the track or put it on a dyno, I think a track run is much better
then a dyno. jmo

I think if there was more uniformed way we measured hp, one formula, one dyno brand/set up
it would reduce the sway of numbers and what right or wrong.

All I know I have been getting stronger and stronger on my top end, hope to get the
converter in soon and tuner to tie this all together and of course a nice DA day to run in.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Crap,even the dyno you don't know which one is really telling the truth, so how
can that be fact, we all know you can take your car to one dyno then drive to another
and get another number just like the calculators.
Exactly. I was going to call that one too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Sure, you guys are all scientific and everything, using math and facts and stuff.

Then there's the Guestimation Theory: I figure if a product advertises they're good for adding 12HP, I guess in reality it will be between 2-9 added HP.

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
Sure, you guys are all scientific and everything, using math and facts and stuff.

Then there's the Guestimation Theory: I figure if a product advertises they're good for adding 12HP, I guess in reality it will be between 2-9 added HP.
You are correct. The unfortunate thing is these companies have to sell product. When I had my 11 Mustang V6 I had the performance mod bug bad. I was trying to figure out HP and all that but the numbers never came out right.

I was using Bama Performance Tuners and when I contacted them they said even though my CAI was advertised at 20+ hp gain, tune 30+ hp gain and axelback 20+ hp gain to just expect about 35 HP total. It's not as simple as the parts just all add up with a simple equation.

Don't get stuck trying to add the numbers up it doesn't work that way unfortunately.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Brent is right and mods don't all just "stack" on each other. A new intake may add or detract from the advertised exhaust numbers and vice versa. Really need a dyno and as much as possible use the same dyno under the same ambient conditions to get solid numbers

Reactions: Brent60

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Really?

"Garrettech has done a few mods and 30 hp
for the mods and tuner plus having better gears to get the mph isn't out of the question

So If I used my best correct mph 99.36

The best amount of hp my car would be able to produce on a straight up perfect day is 330.7 horsepower
to the ground."

Me: My Dynotune Rep say's a stock RT (375 HP at the Crank) is about 315-320 HP at the wheels.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I'd be curious what amount of Horsepower Edmonds-- "Worlds Fastest V6 Challenger" is pumping out. His car run's high 11 second QTR Miles. I'm guessing 435 HP or more, to the wheels.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts