Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the archives but couldn't find anything, although I am sure it has been discussed before.

AT 62K miles my R/T '15 is in the shop in need of a new clutch (my daily driver, not been to the track, etc.). At this point having to put a clutch with it I am going to be stuck with it for another 1-2 years, so just wondering how much horsepower will a stock clutch hold? Entertaining putting a 75 - 100 shot n20 later on for occasional fun, not a strip car.

Any suggestions on clutch? Mcleod has the RXT Twin clutch at $1,400 but would love to be able to get something less expensive, ie mopar clutch or ????

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,554 Posts
You should be fine with 75-100 shot. I am running 8lb SC on my 15 and have had no slippage issues. When the car was stock and had the clutch delay valve in, I would smell burnt clutch after a hard launch. I removed the CVD shortly before installing the SC and smell zero burnt clutch...although the burnt rubber smell tends to mask all odors. :headbang2:

BTW did you remove the CVD from your car or was it still installed?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be fine with 75-100 shot. I am running 8lb SC on my 15 and have had no slippage issues. When the car was stock and had the clutch delay valve in, I would smell burnt clutch after a hard launch. I removed the CVD shortly before installing the SC and smell zero burnt clutch...although the burnt rubber smell tends to mask all odors. :headbang2:

BTW did you remove the CVD from your car or was it still installed?
CVD still installed. What is that (newb tranny guy :D ) ?

How many miles on your 15? Original clutch w/sc?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,554 Posts
CVD still installed. What is that (newb tranny guy :D ) ?

How many miles on your 15? Original clutch w/sc?
CVD - clutch delay valve is a little plastic orifice that is installed just before the slave cylinder. It causes a delayed engagement of the clutch to reduce mechanical shock to the driveline. In short, it purposely allows the clutch to slip on hard launches. Takes a few minutes to remove once the car is jacked up on the drivers side.

I have only put ~5k miles on after I installed the SC but like I said, I no longer smell burnt clutch after hard launches which I attribute to the removal of the CVD. One thing I never looked into is to see if the SP (+100HP) runs the same clutch as the RT?

I replied to your post post and I don't think the clutch failed but the spring diaphragm on the pressure plate assembly. I don't think your issue was clutch slippage but instead the clutch would not completely disengage which is a different failure mode.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts