Dodge Challenger Forum banner

How much Mercedes is in my Challenger?

13K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  MJCHemi 
#1 ·
I was at a car show when a guy was telling me the Challenger is built by Mercedes on a Mercedes frame. Is any or all of it true?

#3 ·
that statement has a lot of misleading information.

The LX platform derived from Mercedes W211 (E-Class '02-'09) with some modified W220 (S-Class '99-'05) suspension designs. This is namely the Daimler 5 link IRS and the front suspension designs. The open differentials from '05 - '14 were pretty much Mercedes designs built under license by Chrysler.

the NAG1/ WA580 (A5) transmission is a Mercedes design that was built under license at Chrysler's plants. That transmission ran from '96 - '14 in Mercedes models from 4 cyl engines up to twin-turbo V12 applications.

There were some items that came over from Mercedes (steering columns, driveshafts) that actually had Daimler part #s and Tri-Star logos on them. Saw these on my '09 when it was on a lift.

Over the years, the platform has been evolving the further developments and refinements. A new non-Mercedes steering column phased in '11+.

so the LX had shared designs but it was engineered by Chrysler and built at Chrysler's plants in North America

#5 ·
IMO - there were now RWD passenger cars in Chrysler's lineup and the old LA series engines finished up production in MY '02.

I doubt the Gen III Hemi might have been developed - if Daimler hadn't merged with Chrysler. They didn't have the resources or funds for development if they were a stand-alone company.

After the merger the full details on the LH warranty issues (FWD large cars) - Chrysler was hemorrhaging money covering warranty issues.

the JA / JS / JX / JR series (FWD mid size) had ongoing warranty claims as well

The 2nd Gen LH cars weren't selling as well as the 1st Gen and the warranty issues were eating up company resources.

Daimler in trying to conserve cash, clamped down on suppliers for the Mercedes line, and the electronics was one area they tried to cut costs on...

which bit Daimler on warranty claims. The early 2k models had all sorts of issues with electronic modules - many got redesigned to undo the cost-cutting measures.

the popular story is Daimler "stole" Chrysler's cash - Daimler was funding Chrysler's losses until they could get new models out and get their sales back up.

#7 ·
Yep, that sums it up pretty good. Just like they have a lot of Mopar in their cars, still. Like the M class/Grand Cherokee I think, and the shared Pacifica design.
Another thing, in my 2006 Charger, you could tell that some things didn't match in the color of teal lighting, like what was Chrysler, and what was MB. Then there was things that they sold that had zero MB in them, like the minivans. Speaking of, remember the VW Routan ? They used to have billboards with "German Engineered" for the VW Minivan, BUT, it was a rebadged Dodge with red lighting instead of teal, and if any of it was "German Engineered", it was by Mercedes Benz, their competition.
VW lying to their customers since 2008.
German Engineered by our competitor
American Designed
Canadian Built
But hey, buy a VW.

#9 ·

A Guy

Reactions: SpeedShift
#10 ·
I was also told that the window mechanisms were Mercedes Benz.

#11 ·
the Smart Glass function / design is similar for the frameless doors - don't know if FCA is using the same mechanisms or not

#12 ·
It was the Mercedes platform that saved my A.. when I totaled my wife's new 2018 with less than 5000 miles. The only way out was through the broken sun roof. Got a full replacement and will purchase one more before Fiat changes the platform. I was aware of the Mercedes connection before the purchase as I had gotten a Charger HEMI + in 2012 for my daughter and saw then all of the switch gear inside was Mercedes. FCA needs to equal / surpass that standard. Hope they can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.