Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I would like to know how much more everyone pays for ethyl over the price of regular. And how much octane, 91 or 93 and where at. I in South Suburban Chicago was paying $.70 over the price of 87 octane. I get 93 here. The reason IS that
just NOW it went to $.85 more. Overnight. Most stations. We see $.45 swings overnight regularly.......?????? But Ethyl was always $.70 up charge. NOT that I won't drive it any less but the sheer greed (unless someone comes up with a reasonable explanation). Just wondering it you all are getting gouged now too.

Good luck

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
I just filled up today with 91, no ethanol for $2.69 gallon. This generally runs $.30/.40 higher than Ethanol 89 octane.

Last week it was $2.79, so it was a steal! LOL

Reactions: silver scat

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was $2.99 over 2.39 a few days ago. Now it's $3.04 over $2.39.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
So that is a nickel more. It is a trend going on now. AND you were only $.60 over, I started at 70, then add 15 more!!!
Regardless it IS going up. Now WHY?????
I can see a post from Nuke in my minds eye but I just can't make it out.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
704 Posts
OP, the oil companies aren’t out to get you. The recent hurricanes along the Gulf Coast (where much of the US’s gas is refined) damaged and shut down a lot of our refining capacity. The industry is still struggling to meet demand, so in a free market economy the price goes up. Making 91 and 93 octane gasoline (ethyl?) takes away from the much higher volume of 87 and 89 octane, so a higher “premium” is natural. No one likes paying more for gas, but it isn’t greed, it’s supply and demand.

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
Before the hurricanes regular was about $2.04, now $2.40 and premium is $2.75. So about $0.35 higher for premium.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OP, the oil companies aren’t out to get you. The recent hurricanes along the Gulf Coast (where much of the US’s gas is refined) damaged and shut down a lot of our refining capacity. The industry is still struggling to meet demand, so in a free market economy the price goes up. Making 91 and 93 octane gasoline (ethyl?) takes away from the much higher volume of 87 and 89 octane, so a higher “premium” is natural. No one likes paying more for gas, but it isn’t greed, it’s supply and demand.

I think I just asked if I was alone and why. $.85 is a strong mark up. Not all are doing it. I see you point, I'm sure that is it. And Ethyl is what "premium" was called when Challengers first ruled.

·
Registered
724 Posts
At our 76 station it was 87=3.08 , 89=3.18 , 91=3.28 and the mobil station 1 block down the street was .30 higher in all three octanes.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At our 76 station it was 87=3.08 , 89=3.18 , 91=3.28 and the mobil station 1 block down the street was .30 higher in all three octanes.
Chicago suburban.
87=2.38 89=2.60 94=3.18

We're all getting screwe........... Not much of a difference out west between the grades. Interesting.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT Core
552 Posts
I paid $2.69 for Sunoco 93 in New Jersey yesterday.The 93 is usually .30 cents more than regular at any station around here.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I paid $2.69 for Sunoco 93 in New Jersey yesterday.The 93 is usually .30 cents more than regular at any station around here.

AS I THOUGHT!!! (George Castanza) THEY'RE SCREWING ME!!!!! I pay the same for reg. 3.18 for 93.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Here in Indiana it was a .30 over regular. Then about 5-7 years ago it doubled to .60 and some stations it's .70 over regular. I haven't noticed it going to .85 here or in Indy. Check gasbuddy and u can see what people r paying all over the country by grade.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,375 Posts
He Scat,

Diff between 93 premium and 87 regular is almost always exactly 60 cents here just north of Tampa. Doesn't matter what station. Latest price for regular is 2.63 a gallon.

However, I save a bunch by combining 2 gallons of 93 to every 1 gallon of 87 that I put in my tank. That mixture translates to 91 octane and ends up saving me 20 cents per gallon on every fill up. So my realized markup is actually only 40 cents. The 392 seems to run just fine (for me), so I'm good.

FWIW, I've done a little research on this subject. Why do the suppliers do this? In a word, because they CAN. Vehicles requiring premium were once rather rare. However with the advent of turbocharging and even normally aspirated high compression power plants, America's appetite for premium is growing. This growth provides refiners ample opportunity to finally make some big money again at the pump, as the premium costs THEM only a tiny fraction more to make than regular.

Once upon a time, premium contained a significant amount of additional additives and old timers would buy it for their low compression engines just to "clean it out" once in a while. However, those days are long gone, and most modern fuels have essentially the same additive package in both regular and premium. I should say that there are exceptions here, but as a general rule for most stations, this holds true. But try convincing a skeptical public convinced that premium REALLY cleans their engine, or that it somehow runs better after a tankful of premium. Facts have no effect on those who choose to judge by their experience rather than truth: especially in this case where the truth is buried in technical bulletins not easily accessible on the web. Don't shoot me here, I've spent countless hours researching this. I'm just reporting what I've read. Wanna get your engine to run cleaner? Get a catch can and install it. But I digress.

The hike in price for premium is based on one thing: those buying cars requiring premium are typically paying more for the cars, and knowing that premium costs more, buy them anyway. They are judged by the gasoline industry as being better able to afford the additional charge. And since their decision to buy cars requiring premium proves that they are willing to pay more for it, the refiners have no motivation to discontinue their price gouging. It's likely that because of this trend, which has grown from 15-20 cents per gallon to 50-75 cents per gallon this year, that there are higher price differentials coming in the future. Why? They've lit on a good thing (their opinion). They've carefully researched the "market," and found the public desire for premium guzzling new cars to be unaffected by the price gouging. And since they've found the public to be willing to pay it, what's to stop the upward march of the price for premium? Notice the gradual increase? Get used to it.

However, it should be noted that this price hike is controlled by the refiners (of which there are only a handful in the US) and not the individual stations or brands. That's why all the stations in a given town tend to have the same exact markup... that's what they actually pay for the stuff.

Gary

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
He Scat,

Diff between 93 premium and 87 regular is almost always exactly 60 cents here just north of Tampa. Doesn't matter what station.

However, I save a bunch by combining 2 gallons of 93 to every 1 gallon of 87 that I put in my tank. That mixture translates to 91 octane and ends up saving me 20 cents per gallon on every fill up. So my realized markup is actually only 40 cents.

Gary
Thanks, was about that here $.70. It Went nuts a week or so ago. Swung to 85 diff. I still just bite the bullet and run the 93......but I do have another car. The work car. (shopping and such......winter) 21 mpg city of 87. (Impala)

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
It's crazy reading the price difference between 87 and 93 octane depending on where you live.

Here in the Baltimore, Md. area, it's in the 60-70 cent per gallon difference.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I just filled up today and the gas really went up since last week. Last week 87 was 3.08 , 89 was 3.18 and 91 was 3.28. Today 87 was 3.22 , 89 was 3.32 and 91 was 3.42.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just filled up today and the gas really went up since last week. Last week 87 was 3.08 , 89 was 3.18 and 91 was 3.28. Today 87 was 3.22 , 89 was 3.32 and 91 was 3.42.
Still only a dime difference. Gas went up. Awfully high over there.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
about .45 between the E10 grades of 87 vs. 92.

The clear (non ethanol) premium is .65 to .90 difference. Prices range from $4.09 to nearly $5 depending on where it is for that good stuff.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,375 Posts
Funny how there are so many differences across the nation. You can't find anything but 3 grades around here: 87, 89, and 93. All have 10 percent ethanol. But prices are consistent within 100 mile radius of my house. Generally about 2.62 + or - a dime or so... for regular and 60 cents more (3.22) for premium. Don't know of any exceptions to this rule anywhere in the Tampa/Orlando area.

Then there's another fine example, reported by Uncle Hal above, that if the refining industry finds a way to gouge the public, it will happen. Premium, with NO ethanol, costing upwards to 5 bucks a gallon. REALLY? And here's the kicker: It costs LESS to produce than ethanol-inated gas... because ethanol costs more to produce. If it weren't subsidized by Uncle Sam to actually make it affordable, it would not be polluting every gallon of gas we buy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts