Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to reach just under 700 rwhp. The factory rating (according to Wikipedia) is 700 Nm, which is about 516 ft/lbs of torque. Mine will obviously exceed that.

With that said, do any of you know of any real world examples of people running big power on the stock A8, and whether or not they held?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm looking to reach just under 700 rwhp. The factory rating (according to Wikipedia) is 700 Nm, which is about 516 ft/lbs of torque. Mine will obviously exceed that.

With that said, do any of you know of any real world examples of people running big power on the stock A8, and whether or not they held?

Firefighter09 is running over 1000hp with a procharged 426 in a 16’ Charger. I’m pretty sure he is still on the stock driveline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have a 16 Scat A8 with a Procharger . my trans with a TCM tune was fine @700 whp but @765 whp it would slip on the shift at WOT . the TCM tune is critical in helping these trans live... my tuner pulled more timing and increased the speed of the shift because it's the clutches that are the weak link and are the first indicator there's a problem. as I have learned.. HP70's/ 90's rarely break hard parts.

·
Super Moderator
14,417 Posts
Its probably a good idea to investigate what the HP90s have in the way of clutches, etc that gives them the extra margin for higher power rating.

As @White R/T mentions, the torque management and TCM programming are key to minimize damage to the transmission - especially clutches slipping.

Even the stock TCM programming will pull timing (and possibly throttle) on upshifts to reduce the stress on the A8 (and earlier A5s for that matter) as hitting the internals will full output will shorter the lifespan of the transmission

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies, everyone! ��

Another question, what does it mean to “pull timing” in a transmission? I’ve only ever heard that used for the ignition timing of an engine.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts

Another question, what does it mean to “pull timing” in a transmission? I’ve only ever heard that used for the ignition timing of an engine.

You pull timing in the motor (ECU/PCM/Whatever Dodge calls it) to make it easier on the trans.

·
Registered
423 Posts

It's engine timing that's being pulled to reduce power to reduce the load on the trans during the shift .. AKA... torque management.. there are timing tables in the PCM and the TCM that tuners access to address torque management.. people tend to want to remove tq mgmt which is fine for an N/A car but that is the last thing you want to do with theses transmissions when you're talking big power gains like you're considering . I know a 730 whp Scat that has 100 + runs on it and trans is just fine. TCM tuning was not available when that car was built so the only Tq mgmt tuning that was done was in the PCM . IMO, with the power level you're considering your trans will be fine if you use a good tuner.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You are correct timing is ignition. The pcm will pull timing at shift points, that’s that fart you hear during wot shifts. Like I said , I’m pretty sure FF09 is still stock , but he may have upgraded when he went to the f1. Either way , there’s a bunch of people pushing the 700whp range with the stock driveline. As stated , trans tuning is critical to keeping the trans safe. It won’t last forever but tuning will help. Also , diff brace , cradle bushings, suspension , etc.... will all help keeping your DS and axles in tact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just looked at the scatpackforum on FF09's build and he uses a paramount upgraded trans. There's no way even a stock 8HP90 could handle 1000+.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I just looked at the scatpackforum on FF09's build and he uses a paramount upgraded trans. There's no way even a stock 8HP90 could handle 1000+.
A stock HP90 will handle a bit beyond 1000whp. the first A8 Hellcat in the 8's had a stock but tuned trans . IIRC that car was 1300 ish.
The fastest 'known' stock HP 70 is a car making 800/750 that ran 9.90's at a recent MSHS event. car is tuned by Satera Tuning in Illinois. possibly a unicorn HP70 but the tuners have learned how to keep the stock ones alive way past what was seen even a year ago... that being said..my HP70 gave up just past 700whp. I now have a built HP70 from Hell Raiser performance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts