Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I recently got into an accident within the rain. I ended up hydroplaning behind a truck and rear ended myself into the middle of the freeway that divides traffic. I was looking to see if anyone can help estimate how much the repairs will cost. Here are some pictures. (I am not going through insurance)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Car Plant Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light

Hood Finger Vehicle door Bumper Audio equipment

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
950 Posts
One...I hope you are ok...

Two...It's going to cost a lot!...

Reactions: Grumpy59

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
950 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you are paying for this out of pocket, check around with local salvage yards. See if you can collect needed parts from them, then locate a repair shop to do the metal body work, and paint. Most salvage yards can locate parts needed from other salvage yards too.

·
Registered
2013 SXT Plus
17 Posts
I was hit from behind last year in my 2013. Damage to just the rear bumper. Bumper replacement and paint the cost was around $2000. Looks like that will be significantly more. Any legit auto body shop will give you a free estimate.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
5,242 Posts
That's unfortunate.

For how much the repair will cost the extent of the damage has to be known.

Find a good highly regarded body shop. Have the car in and have its damage appraised. The shop will do some tear down of the car to expose hardware/systems under the bumper cover and other damaged panels.

If the car is under warranty you should seriously consider using factory parts, not used/salvaged or even after market.

My experience is when my 2020 Scat Pack was in for repairs the at fault driver's insurance wanted the shop to use anything but new factory parts. I refused to accept that. The car was under warranty (just 2 months old) and I wanted to keep the warranty intact. The body repair shop helped me by price matching factory parts to the prices of aftermarket parts. I mention this with the idea the body shop you choose can do something similar for you. But you have to ask before you agree to place the car in the body shop's care.

The accident is as I said unfortunate. The best thing you can do is strive to get the car repaired back to its pre collision condition as best as humanly possible and then let time heal the wound of having the accident and bending your car. This healing process is greatly helped by the car being fixed properly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
No one on here can tell you the extent of the damage to your car from four pictures.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,666 Posts
Assuming no frame damage I'll bet at least $10k and very likely more...

·
Registered
2011 SXT
4,073 Posts
Assuming no frame damage I'll bet at least $10k and very likely more...
YEP when you get that kind of Damage it can have under side damage and Structure that has to also be addressed so the Panels pull out,
and they will have to do some Pulls on a Frame / Body Machine. So need to get some good shops to check it out
that is pretty heavy damage.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts

·
Registered
2017 T/A Plus 5.7L
187 Posts
Save yourself time and guessing what this damage will cost you and take it to a few reputable paint and body shops locally to get a solid estimate!!!

·
Registered
7,132 Posts
Ouch, bummer dude. Sorry you don't have insurance as an option. As said, it's gonna be allot. Post up once you get an estimate.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I mentioned using a salvage yard to locate some good condition parts due to the OP stating insurance was not an option. If there is no insurance, then the OP must be on a tight budget to have not had insurance, or does not want to make an insurance claim, perhaps to avoid a loss when selling the car (insurance claim would show up on a car search). This repair will be high, and that's assuming no frame damage (a BIG assumption).

Salvage yards are a decent source to locate parts if on a tight budget. His damage is at the rear; a salvage yard may have vehicles that were totaled due to front end damage, and the rear is clean.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
5,242 Posts
I mentioned using a salvage yard to locate some good condition parts due to the OP stating insurance was not an option. If there is no insurance, then the OP must be on a tight budget to have not had insurance, or does not want to make an insurance claim, perhaps to avoid a loss when selling the car (insurance claim would show up on a car search). This repair will be high, and that's assuming no frame damage (a BIG assumption).

Salvage yards are a decent source to locate parts if on a tight budget. His damage is at the rear; a salvage yard may have vehicles that were totaled due to front end damage, and the rear is clean.
Insurance not being an option is no reason to make a bad situation worse and use parts which can invalidate any warranty on the car. Or result in a sub-par repair.

Not sure why insurance is not an option but if it is because none was present this is going to be one expensive lesson on why one should carry car insurance on any car that one can't just write off in the event of a serious accident.

It is not acceptable behavior to avoid insurance to try to hide the fact the car was in a serious accident. Besides the shop I believe will report the car was repaired and this will show up on the car's record.

But whether the car was in for any accident repair shows up on a CarFax report or not the fact the car was in an accident should be divulged to any prospective buyer. A private buyer but also if the car is traded in. I can remember once or twice when trading in a car to have to sign a document attesting to the fact the car had received no body/paint work. If the car is traded in the presence of accident repair will be obvious the used car/trade in appraiser at the dealer and the lack of disclosure will result in a very low ball offer for the car or even an outright rejection of the car.

'course, to mitigate what effect the history of an accident might have on the car's value the OP should have pics showing the damage both before and after any tear down. And pics of the repairs. And after it is all said and done repair paperwork that shows what parts were replaced, what other repairs were done (paint, etc.) and ideally that factory parts were used.

I'm no warranty expert but it could very well be in this case with the damage where it is the use of salvage suspension parts while it might affect any warranty on that area of the car possibly even the rear end the rest of the drive train and engine warranty and any warranty on other areas of the car should (should) remain in effect.

There is the risk the salvage parts are not as good as they should be. A few times over the years I have been faced with an insurance company trying to bring leverage against the body shop to use used/salvaged parts. To the credit of the shop I had selected in every case the shop recognized the used/salvaged part was in worse condition than the part it was supposed to replace and refused to use it. New parts were ordered and used.

Regardless, if the OP has to repair the car on a budget, even at the risk to any warranty, well he has to.

So yeah, of course, the OP can request the body shop/repair shop use used/salvaged parts. If the OP has picked the right shop it will recognize which used/salvaged parts are ok and which should not be used. There is the possibility there will be no acceptable used/salvaged parts available and to move the car along new parts might have to be used. So the OP has to be ready to accept that possibility.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Redeye WB
262 Posts

Avoiding an insurance claim and then paying prob 10-15k just to avoid a 10-15k depreciation seems counterproductive to me. Much less work to make the claim and lose roughly the same amount in the end. Unless the depreciation significantly outweighs the actual cost of repairs that’s not a sound business plan lol.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
31,493 Posts
New Hampshire and Virginia don't require auto insurance, with other rules

A Guy

1 - 20 of 34 Posts