Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just got my new R/T Classic yesterday. It's the first modern (newer than 20 years old) manual transmission I've owned. I was wondering, is it still necessary/recommended to downshift through all of the gears when coming to a stop so as not to burn the valves, or do modern manual transmissions get by fine with just riding it in neutral and then starting back from first or second gear? Any insight would be appreciated, as I don't want to do anything that could screw up this sweet ass ride. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
If I know I'll be coming to a complete stop I just slide it into N, but if traffic may start moving before a full stop I downshift through the gears because I always want to be in the appropriate gear should I need to accelerate. I used to downshift all the time but decided that brake pads are cheaper than clutch discs.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Never heard of burning up valves by not downshifting, but I almost never downshift ANY manual shift car when coming to a stop, it's better to just push in the clutch and coast then apply brakes, brakes are much cheaper to replace than a clutch, every time you use it you wear it out a little, now if you driving in traffic that's another story and you have to downshift a bit. A lot of guys downshift just because it fun, but fun may cost some clutch life.

Reactions: guitar2323

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Downshifting is not necessary and like others stated, you don't really need to do it at all if you are coming to a stop. But rev-matching when you do downshift to accelerate while rolling, that is a good idea IMO.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I always downshift when I'm slowing down.

1ST: It helps you slow down by using the engine's compression.
2ND: It's good to be in the correct gear for the appropriate speed.
3RD: When cornering you normally slow down and downshift to assist with handling.
4TH: The engine sounds really cool when I downshift as I removed my resonators :)

Perhaps I'm doing it all wrong, but that how I roll!

·
Registered
15,804 Posts
Yeah I never downshift unless it's on a steep off ramp and I need some engine braking. If traffic ahead is stopped for a light I just throw it into neutral and keep rolling, if traffic starts to move double clutch then put it in whatever gear you need and go. Much less wear on the clutch this way and whenever you do need to downshift, always raise the rpms to match the rpm of the lower gear
Don't ever just downshift and then let the clutch out with the engine at idle so the speed of the car will pull the rpms back up, that is just murder on a clutch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
535 Posts
I downshift thru the gears all the time

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
This is NOT about valves...

This is a real question, but why would older trannies burn up the valves??
...It is about being a "skilled" driver in ALL ASPECTS. Something our "Auto Tranny Lovin" brothers long forgot about. If you want to be FAST on a curvy road...you must master the downshift. Good Down Shifts are much harder to master than Up Shifting. It's ALSO FUN. Did we not buy these cars to actually "drive them?"

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I always downshift when I'm slowing down.

1ST: It helps you slow down by using the engine's compression.
2ND: It's good to be in the correct gear for the appropriate speed.
3RD: When cornering you normally slow down and downshift to assist with handling.
4TH: The engine sounds really cool when I downshift as I removed my resonators :)

Perhaps I'm doing it all wrong, but that how I roll!
I love to downshift, I like the sound the Zoomers make ..... a sputtering backfireing sounds cool.
:)

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
if downshifting is a problem, one should enjoy an auto tranny like a granny; a $1000 extra and one can eliminate the fear of using too much the clutch

it's not even safe to not have the vehicle speed, engine rpm and transmission not in sync

dump shifting is ok, but sticking in neutral and coasting to the light makes imo makes no sense; but to each his own; to me this is simply not driving

i am just curious if an unpredictable event does occur and you are indeed coasting at 30mph/40mph to the light; how being in neutral is going to help you?

Indeed, as RYCLaunch puts it; nothing cooler than a magnaflow (in my case) doing a bit of sputtering backfiring

ODP

·
Premium Member
10,024 Posts
if downshifting is a problem, one should enjoy an auto tranny like a granny; a $1000 extra and one can eliminate the fear of using too much the clutch

it's not even safe to not have the vehicle speed, engine rpm and transmission not in sync

dump shifting is ok, but sticking in neutral and coasting to the light makes imo makes no sense; but to each his own; to me this is simply not driving

i am just curious if an unpredictable event does occur and you are indeed coasting at 30mph/40mph to the light; how being in neutral is going to help you?

Indeed, as RYCLaunch puts it; nothing cooler than a magnaflow (in my case) doing a bit of sputtering backfiring

ODP
In some states it's illegal to be moving in neutral.

Reactions: O_Racing

·
Registered
15,804 Posts
Well let me clear up my post a little, I really was responding to the OP question of is it necessary to downshift, of course we all downshift when driving but I just meant as part of stopping at a red light that he must downshift thru every gear like an 18-wheeler, lol, no that is what I never do.

And on the coasting to a light, I'm talking 10 to 20 mph and you know the light probably won't change before you get there. It's just smoother and less clunky that way. I'm not going neutral above slow city speeds, that would be nuts.

Wish I could get better at heel and toe downshifting in this car, think it's the throttle mainly and it makes it hard to match the rpms, getting better but still a ways to go.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
553 Posts
Downshift the crap out of it and enjoy the ride. Who cares about the clutch? - put another one in. These cars are made to be driven - go break shit.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I guess in america is very different .. Countries where all the cars are synchronic (or manual) nobody down shifts unless you are in a hill ... And about coasting i. Neutral being a danger .... Thats the whole point of the brakes.
Good luck and keep on hating auto cars lol

·
Registered
479 Posts
I read that downshifting at every stop only adds wear and tear to the driveline. That's what the brakes are for, to slow the car down. I almost never downshift, except slowing down for a curve. Brakes are cheaper and easier to replace than clutches!

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Downshift the crap out of it and enjoy the ride. Who cares about the clutch? - put another one in. These cars are made to be driven - go break shit.
now someone with my type of common sense!

come on people we did not buy that car to just be "gentle"

break shit, feel the pain and do it again

ODP:banana:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts