Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack, Pitch Black, 2015 Challenger SRT -sold, 2011 Challenger SRT8-sold
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had my 2011 SRT Challenger, I used to engage the parking brake on my M6 every time I parked. Sometimes after a long commute, the rotors and brakes would be very hot. When I got back to the car after work, the pads would sometimes stick to the rotors. I know if you don’t regularly exercise the parking brake, the cable can stick. Now with my 2020 SP A8, I only use my parking brake occasionally, just to keep it exercised. What does everyone else do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Same here on my Auto. I use it every now and then. Sometimes in my driveway which has an incline. But most of the time , no incline or decline, I don’t use it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I wouldn't trust the parking prawl on any surface other than a dead level one. If you have ever been in or had a vehicle that's prawl broke or failed to engage properly you'd be religious about using it. It's also a good idea to keep the rest of drive train unloaded when not in use.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I use mine all the time, put it on before I shift to park. The only thing that pisses me off about the parking brake is the hood release on the challenger is in the same spot as the parking brake release on every other vehicle I own or owned before the challenger. For the first few months everytime i got in the challenger id reach down and pop the hood. I've gotten used to it now, but i still do it occasionally,

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Shaker • F8 Green • 5.7 Liter Hemi • 6 Speed Manual
125 Posts
I'm a stick shift guy so YMMV.

When I was a young boy my Father parked on a hill in a Corvair. That model had no park setting for the automatic transmission. Transmission in neutral, parking brake engaged. When we came out of the store, his car was at the bottom of the hill. Lesson learned at a young age was don't trust parking brakes.

I typically leave it in first with the wheels turned into the curb. Never once had a problem in several million miles of driving. I drove commercially for many years so in that case I would engage the ICC air brake to lock everything up.

I suppose if the situation looked iffy I'd also use the parking brake but in reality I've never found the need to do so.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I would recommend using it occasionaly to keep it working properly
What mopardude9 said. I had mine repaired on my truck since I barely used it. I was told it can jam/freeze or whatever if you do not use it once in a while. Worst thing is to pay for a repair on something like that.
I use my parking brake on my auto about 5 times a year...mostly to keep it working properly. I'm almost always parked on level surfaces when I take the Challenger out.

·
Super Moderator
15,442 Posts
I wouldn't trust the parking prawl on any surface other than a dead level one. If you have ever been in or had a vehicle that's prawl broke or failed to engage properly you'd be religious about using it. It's also a good idea to keep the rest of drive train unloaded when not in use.
I agree. I have a steep driveway and always use the parking brake. Here's a tip. Set the parking brake before you put your car in Park.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
I use my parking brake every time I park, just a habit from decades of driving a manual. Also, the parking brakes on a Challenger are drum in hat, so the pads sticking mentioned above doesn't come about from using the parking brake.

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
I use it all the time - don't want the driveline loaded up with the weight of the car while parked.

With automatics, you're putting a load on the parking pawl (parking lock). If you have mechanical shift linkage, you're having to pull harder to get it out of Park. And its not designed around that much force.

in the snowbelt states (heavy salting) you hear of the instances of parking brake cables sticking (rust or ice) but that comes down to lack of maintenance.

the cables and mechanism should be inspected / cleaned / lubricated periodically. at least inspect at oil changes and probably go over it more annually.

in my 42 years of vehicles ranging from new to 20 years old, I've never had an issue with parking brakes. One vehicle used (GM setup) a screw / lever mechanism on the rear disc piston...when the pads wore down a lot, it wouldn't hold as well. Replace the pads all was good.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
I use the parking brake/emergency brake/hand brake every time I get out of the car, no matter which car I drive. Just one of those things that is ingrained in me, probably from my dad 40 years ago. Also, I am a big fan of electric parking brakes, I have had 3-4 vehicles with them. BUT they are parking brakes, not emergency brakes. They go FULL on, basically instantly, so rear wheels will lock, and you will spin if used when moving.
I have considered NOT using my parking brake on my Challenger when in my garage. It is a detached garage with 2nd floor, so it doesn't get too hot, but it does get cold. When parked after driving it in the wet (rarely now anyway) and if it sat for a couple days, the brakes would be stuck on the rotors and it would have trouble getting moving smoothly.
Also I will frequently use the emergency brake, as a brake to test it, and clean off the braking surface, much easier to do on cars with handbrakes though. (like 5mph on back alley type of thing.)

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
Second this. I would not trust the parking pawl of any automatic.

Nothing like parking one's vehicle to run into the 7/11 store to come out and see the vehicle slowly rolling backwards. Managed to not drop my cup of 7/11 coffee and donut and get into the vehicle and put on the brake before the vehicle rolled out into the street.

Another time was not so lucky. The vehicle rolled back and hit another car. The damage was very minor and frankly the car it hit was a true "beater". It was hard to know which dent my vehicle's bumper made. Still I did the "right" thing. Told the owner I was sorry and to get an estimate and I'd write him a check but he said no need. But the owner was cool and said no need.

From my experience, this back in the mid 1970s, I use the parking brake every time I park my car. Automatic or manual. Every time. With the automatic of course I put it in Park. With the manual I leave the transmission in 2nd gear in case the parking brake fails.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack, Pitch Black, 2015 Challenger SRT -sold, 2011 Challenger SRT8-sold
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for their replies. The reason I asked is because in Virginia, where I live, the parking brake has the hold the car under light acceleration in order to pass. I have a 1979 Pontiac Trans Am with 4 wheel disc brakes. 1st year for the TA to have all 4 wheel disc. The parking brake mechanism on this car sucks. It wouldn’t hold the car under acceleration when it left the factory. It certainly won’t 42 years later. That system, you have to engage the cable regularly. So I always had a habit of doing so. When I got my 2011 SRT8 Challenger, I used the parking brake all the time. And on days where the discs got very hot from my stop and go commute, the pads would stick to the rotors time I drove it, especially if I let it sit a few days. Then I got a 2015 A8 SRT, and now have a 2020 A8 SP. I hardly use the parking brake. I guess I really should have asked how often do I HAVE to use the PB. And how do you lube and maintain it so it doesn’t fail?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
Thanks everyone for their replies. The reason I asked is because in Virginia, where I live, the parking brake has the hold the car under light acceleration in order to pass. I have a 1979 Pontiac Trans Am with 4 wheel disc brakes. 1st year for the TA to have all 4 wheel disc. The parking brake mechanism on this car sucks. It wouldn’t hold the car under acceleration when it left the factory. It certainly won’t 42 years later. That system, you have to engage the cable regularly. So I always had a habit of doing so. When I got my 2011 SRT8 Challenger, I used the parking brake all the time. And on days where the discs got very hot from my stop and go commute, the pads would stick to the rotors time I drove it, especially if I let it sit a few days. Then I got a 2015 A8 SRT, and now have a 2020 A8 SP. I hardly use the parking brake. I guess I really should have asked how often do I HAVE to use the PB. And how do you lube and maintain it so it doesn’t fail?

Use it whenever you park the car. It is the parking brake to state the obvious.

I have never had a parking brake problem. At some point I think with one or two cars the cabling might have been adjusted but the parking brake hardware -- in one case just an aluminum "shoe" that pressed against a small drum in the rear hub -- really doesn't experience any wear unless you drive the car with the parking brake engaged.

When I wash my vehicles I make sure to drive them after and use the brakes enough to get the brake hardware hot enough to thoroughly dry the brakes. This includes the parking brake hardware. Before I developed this habit -- had it for years -- a few times after washing the car and letting it sit a day or two upon next use the parking brake (probably in conjunction with the regular brakes) would "stick" (from rust) and it would feel like the parking brake was still applied even though it was not. I just had to break the brakes free of their rust hold.

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts

the Challenger (and all the other LX family)

use a drum parking brake thats inside the rear rotor hub

not the disc brake so applying the parking brake with hot pads has no effect FYI

Reactions: Charles 236

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the Challenger (and all the other LX family)

use a drum parking brake thats inside the rear rotor hub

not the disc brake so applying the parking brake with hot pads has no effect FYI
That’s makes sense. Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have a manual trans so I use it every time I park. I further use it at red lights when I'm on an incline (I hate keeping my right foot on the brake pedal!).

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
I use it every time.

I learned a long, long time ago to not rely on an automatic's parking pall to hold a car.

My first car was a '64 pontiac grand prix. It's parking pawl was broken.

My driver's ed. class taught me that when the car is in park only, you only have one wheel holding the car, not two like with a parking brake. On flat, dry ground that may be o.k. On a hill with warm tires on snow or ice and the car WILL move on you, I've see happen myself a number of times over the years.

I remember times in my 68 Ford Torino that I couldn't shift out of Park while on a hill because there was too much tension on the shift linkage, even with the parking brake on. Had to have buddies rock the car so that I could shift it.

I've seen manual transmission'd cars move down hill when only left in gear.

Once saw a Ford van catch fire that had an OE fiberglass shaft. It was parked on a hill, the driveshaft melted and the van rolled backwards ~125' across a street and into the fuel pumps at a Quick Stop. To this day, when I see someone park and take their foot off the brake and the vehicle jerks forward or backward I think........... you have a lot of trust in a small piece of mass produced metal.

I use it every time. It's a safe and smart habit, just like the seat belt.

I also wonder about these ^%$#*s that are stealing Challengers by breaking in and pulling the 'get-out-of-park' strap on the A8. If the electrically operated parking brake was on and the engine wasn't running, could they still roll the car like they do?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
The Challenger uses a mechanical, manually operated parking brake, drum in hat type.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts