Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you drive your challenger? Do you commute to work in it? Do you only drive it on weekends? Do you only drive it to auto shows?

I'm thinking of getting a 2011 R/T. It would be my only car and I would need to use it to commute to work. I have an hour drive just to get to work and then an hour drive just to get back. Gas mileage will be horrible. My only other option is not to trade in my Nissan Sentra and bascially have two cars, one for the daily commute and one for driving occasionally for fun.

Basically I'm still in the planning stage, trying to figure out how I can make this work so that I can afford to have a Challenger. I really love the car. To me its the most aesthetically pleasing automobile currently on the market.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Garage kept, driven when roads are dry, could not go back to only one car to drive. sucks paying taxes and insurance for multiple cars but it's nice having an option on bad weather days and times when you have to park at a mall etc.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Everyday 2009 r/t six speed thru rush hour traffic and all i do the same hour commute as you may have to be doing mine mostly all highway miles. I can make it down and back 3x trips and then fill up so 2 times a week. If you do consider this as a DD you may want to look into different tires the 20" RSA 40k - 50k miles if your lucky at most. IF at all possible try to save the nissan so you can drive it 3/5 days a week and take the challenger out the other 2... If that is possible finically. Too me its a fantastic piece of machinery and is the best looking new car on the road, but at the end of the day its just a car i'm not going to save this for auto shows and nice days only, I want to get my money's worth out of my purchase :bigthumb: and so far i have lol

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 2010 R/T that is my only car. It's my daily driver 12 months a year (and I live in New England so there's definitely winter involved).

Gas mileage could be an issue for you. I live five minutes away from my job so I don't have much of an issue from a commuting standpoint but I do frequently take the car for cruises on the highway after work. I drive the car like I stole it (and sometimes like I'm on World's Wildest Police Chases :)) so my gas mileage is in the 16 - 18 mpg range (according to the car's computer). I haven't done a more accurate manual calculation so I can't say for sure what I'm getting. I do know that I could be getting better gas mileage if I drove it more sedately. If I was going to drive like that though I might as well get a Prius. That said, if your commute is primarily highway I think you can get decent mileage (20-23 mpg) with an R/T. Hopefully others can comment on that.

There are a few things to be aware of when having a Challenger as your daily driver / only car:

First of all, it's awesome. You've always got that power at your disposal, you're constantly getting appreciative looks and comments from passers by. In your case you're spending two hours of each day on the road. Might as well do in comfort and style. :) You'll enjoy your commute if you're doing it in a Challenger.

Secondly, it's awesome. I know I said that already but it's worth mentioning twice.

Thirdly, if you're taking your car everywhere you're eventually going to get a scratch. Or a ding. My car got a small door ding a week or so ago and I've been getting it out with the hot/cold trick. It's just about gone and I'll soon be touching it up. But it bothers me even though I knew it would eventually happen.

Fourthly, you'll spend a lot of time cleaning your car if you're in an area that has a lot of pollen in the summer and salt/sand in the winter like I am. It's even worse if you get Brilliant Black Pearl like I did. Naturally the more time it spends out of the garage the more dirt it collects.

For me, I have no regrets. I love my R/T and don't regret trading in my previous car at all. I love driving it and I'll drive it rain, shine, snow or tornado. And if I end up in Oz I'll tear up that yellow brick road (I can see the wicked witch now: "I'll get you my pr... has that got a Hemi in it?")

Hopefully this helps. I'd be happy to answer to any specific questions you have and I'm sure you'll be able to get help from the rest of the forum. This place is a fantastic resource for Challenger advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the tips and advice. Yeah, I'm going to regret the day it get's its first door ding. But I guess it is inevitable. :(

As far as keeping the car clean, the biggest problem I have down here in Florida is the bugs. I take the highway to work every day and during the warmer months it can get ridiculously spotted with bugs. The worst are what they call "Love bugs". They come out in the spring and fall and they can actually eat through paint with some sort of acidity they contain. Ugh...

So...I'm thinking of getting a front fender cover for my car. Do they make them for Challengers?

Thanks again for the tips! :)

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
My 2009 SE is a great, very affordable, daily driver. Hour round trip commute so about 50-60 miles daily. Rides excellent, good mileage (averaging over 26 mpg right now), very comfortable

Fun weekend cruiser to take to auto shows...My daughters wheel chair even fits in the trunk with room to spare...try that in a Camaro :notallthere:

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I drive every day, although my commute is no where near yours. Takes me 7 minutes to get to work on a good day.. 10 if I hit every light.

I've put just under 9000 miles on it to date, and have owned it for 11 months. That included two trips to Florida, about 1K miles round trip.

Gas mileage isn't super great for me, but I've got my foot in it a bit more than I probably should. Ratings wise, the SE and the RT is very close mileage, but folks seem to be able to get quite a bit more, gas mileage wise, out of the SE.

If I had to commute an hour each way, and I wanted a Challenger, I'd probably go with an SE, since you will probably get better mileage, and the depreciation for mileage after a few years may not be as big of an impact.

Mike

Mike

·
Registered
75 Posts
So...I'm thinking of getting a front fender cover for my car. Do they make them for Challengers?

Thanks again for the tips! :)
I believe they do although I've never really looked into it. CoverKing apparently makes custom covers for Challengers so you could try them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mine is certainly a daily driver. I've driven it every day but two since I owned it (except the last two weeks it's been in the shop). Of course, it takes me less than 15 minutes to get to work and less than 10 to get to school.

One thing you will certainly miss when driving something else is that the Challenger gives you more options during your daily drive. For example, merging onto the highway, a lot of times it's easier to just pedal down and pass two cars if there's a bigger hole ahead. Even on short ramps, it's not difficult to pass. I don't condone doing so, just that many times it's easier to take it into your own hands than hope someone lets you in. ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a 2010 R/T that is my only car. It's my daily driver 12 months a year (and I live in New England so there's definitely winter involved).

Gas mileage could be an issue for you. I live five minutes away from my job so I don't have much of an issue from a commuting standpoint but I do frequently take the car for cruises on the highway after work. I drive the car like I stole it (and sometimes like I'm on World's Wildest Police Chases :)) so my gas mileage is in the 16 - 18 mpg range (according to the car's computer). I haven't done a more accurate manual calculation so I can't say for sure what I'm getting. I do know that I could be getting better gas mileage if I drove it more sedately. If I was going to drive like that though I might as well get a Prius. That said, if your commute is primarily highway I think you can get decent mileage (20-23 mpg) with an R/T. Hopefully others can comment on that.

There are a few things to be aware of when having a Challenger as your daily driver / only car:

First of all, it's awesome. You've always got that power at your disposal, you're constantly getting appreciative looks and comments from passers by. In your case you're spending two hours of each day on the road. Might as well do in comfort and style. :) You'll enjoy your commute if you're doing it in a Challenger.

Secondly, it's awesome. I know I said that already but it's worth mentioning twice.

Thirdly, if you're taking your car everywhere you're eventually going to get a scratch. Or a ding. My car got a small door ding a week or so ago and I've been getting it out with the hot/cold trick. It's just about gone and I'll soon be touching it up. But it bothers me even though I knew it would eventually happen.

Fourthly, you'll spend a lot of time cleaning your car if you're in an area that has a lot of pollen in the summer and salt/sand in the winter like I am. It's even worse if you get Brilliant Black Pearl like I did. Naturally the more time it spends out of the garage the more dirt it collects.

For me, I have no regrets. I love my R/T and don't regret trading in my previous car at all. I love driving it and I'll drive it rain, shine, snow or tornado. And if I end up in Oz I'll tear up that yellow brick road (I can see the wicked witch now: "I'll get you my pr... has that got a Hemi in it?")

Hopefully this helps. I'd be happy to answer to any specific questions you have and I'm sure you'll be able to get help from the rest of the forum. This place is a fantastic resource for Challenger advice.

110 % agree

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I definitely kept my original car when the Challenger was added to the family. But I also knew from the start that the Challenger was going to be stored in the winter and only driven on nice days. I am planning on keeping this vehicle until they pry the fob out of my cold hands :11:

Not sure where exactly you are in FL but if your doing highway and it takes about an hour door to door then you are definitely putting the miles on. You will definitely suffer on the gas bill coming from your current Nissan as these girls love to suck up that gas.........kind of like they have a big ass straw with a hoover on the end.. But if you can live with that and also the dings and scrapes that it will get as a daily driver then go for it as there is nothing but a smile that will come to your face and a laugh in your throat as soon as you press the start in the morning :laugh:.

As a side note - be warned that if you do drive the Challenger to work every morning then you may not get much work done during the day as you will be found day dreaming..........of driving the Challenger back home in the evening :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
As a side note - be warned that if you do drive the Challenger to work every morning then you may not get much work done during the day as you will be found day dreaming..........of driving the Challenger back home in the evening :)
Good point. It's even worse if you're able to see the car from where you're working. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I drive mine everyday as it is my only vehicle. It is actually perfect for a daily driver. I have two car seats in the back and drop my kids off at daycare everyday. It has a big trunk for grocery store runs and anything else. I had to go to home depot yesterday and fit 4 bags of top soil 2 bags of mulch and 2 bags of river rocks with plenty of extra room. That's what I love about this car. It is badass looking and built so you can drive it everyday as your only vehicle. It also gets good gas mileage if you can keep your foot out of it. Highway and city I average 20 miles a gallon which isn't bad. I hand wash it once a week and vacuume it. I plan on it looking brand new with a 150 k miles on it.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Mine is a daily driver -- Bay area California traffic mind you. I currently commute only one mile away (woooo!), but I've done the 45 minutes up 101 in full morning commute traffic. She handles it well, but I have a tendency to be a little heavy foot at times and my gas mileage does suffer.

Bamberg has all the points right. I fortunately got over the first ding quickly. I did it myself ... so when the second came, it wasn't soo bad. Now the paint chips from road kickup ... I'm still chewing the bit on those.

I wash her at least once every two weeks. Keep that in mind.

I use to drive my Pontiac Grand Am in this traffic (until someone totaled it), then my wife's Mini Cooper S until I found this girl. A) She's the best purchase I've ever made and B) more comfortable than any vehicle I've ever been in and C) I have to stop for 20 minutes or so talking to a lot of guys and gals about her and D) Yes, I WILL do this again -- that is have a second Challenger. I'm not getting rid of or trading in this girl.

·
Registered
241 Posts
How often do you drive your challenger? Do you commute to work in it? Do you only drive it on weekends? Do you only drive it to auto shows?

I'm thinking of getting a 2011 R/T. It would be my only car and I would need to use it to commute to work. I have an hour drive just to get to work and then an hour drive just to get back. Gas mileage will be horrible. My only other option is not to trade in my Nissan Sentra and bascially have two cars, one for the daily commute and one for driving occasionally for fun.

Basically I'm still in the planning stage, trying to figure out how I can make this work so that I can afford to have a Challenger. I really love the car. To me its the most aesthetically pleasing automobile currently on the market.

Everyday! Monday thru Friday year round with a 1hr commute to and 1 hr back from work just like you. I have MDS disabled and a number of modifications and still get 22.5 on the highway. As good or better than any SUV or Mini-Van for the most part.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Daily driver, 40 miles round trip each day. Mine actually sits in the garage most weekends, as I never drive my cars to movies, restaurants, malls, or such - always use my wife's car. She's my designated driver as doesn't drink and she won't drive my car (I've offered, she's just too worried about something happening to it while she is driving).

As for wear and tear, yep, going to happen. Its a car, not a piece of priceless art. Use it, enjoy it, and get the most out it. Why save it for the next buyer?

This makes a great commuter car. Really nice to drive in all types of traffic and weather. Yep, not the best gas mileage, but the enjoyment I get out of cars like this overrides the cost for me.

·
Super Moderator
16,450 Posts
for the "bug juice" problem - you could get the clear film applied over the front bumper/facia/header panel and mirror housings to protect the paint.

Since the Challenger has a large frontal area, if the film got messed up from the bug juice, you could have it redone w/o worry of the paint getting etched.

My relatives live in SE Georgia, so I'm very familiar with the love bug issues when I've visited there. Plus there's all the mosquitos during the other parts of the year.

If you can swing it, keep the Nissan for the bulk of your daily driving since you're putting a lot of miles with that commute. Save the Challenger for the Friday / weekend driving.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts