Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2010 B5 Blue SRT8 for a year and have waxed it 7 times. My questions are as follows:

1. Is there a limit to how many times you should wax the car per year? Am I just wasting my time in waxing the car - BTW it is garaged so it stays pretty protected.

2. I have a right shoulder injury and am thinking about some type of DA or ROB to wax the car. What is the best powered device to do this? What about swirls and damage to the car when using these types of machines?

3. What is the best wax to use?

I really appreciate any assistance and advice on this.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I try to do at least a quarterly wax with in between quick spray and shines.
try to do the clay bar at least once a year in the spring

·
Registered
347 Posts
EVERYTHING you want to know about Detailing can be found in a series of short video clips by the Junkman. This'll get you started:

But to answer your question: It depends on the quality of the wax;
some brands seem to last longer than others.

·
Super Moderator
15,572 Posts
My car is garaged, but driven year round (snow is occasionally falls here, but no road salt is used).

During the dry clear weather when I do take the car to work for errands or appointments during the workday (I live close enough by that I don't need to drive solely to get to work) I use a car cover, so unless the car is dirty or rainy weather, its sheltered from the elements for the most part.

I've found a post winter / rainy season polish and wax cleans everything up well.
In the fall , then apply a cleaner/wax product to replace what wax has worn away during the summer and multiple washings so its nice and slick to help get the dirt off easier and offer protection against the elements.

I don't see any benefit for more wax applications, unless you park in areas where airborne fallout (tree sap, pollutants) are occurring regularly.

Years ago, I worked near the flightpath of a commercial airport, it was remarkable how much soot would wash out of the car cover from jet exhaust (and what would come off using a detailing clay bar!).

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I've had my 2010 B5 Blue SRT8 for a year and have waxed it 7 times. My questions are as follows:

1. Is there a limit to how many times you should wax the car per year? Am I just wasting my time in waxing the car - BTW it is garaged so it stays pretty protected.
In order to answer your question I would first ask, what "wax" are you currently using and why do you feel the need to re-apply it every two months? Do you find it is not lasting that long, do you simply enjoy waxing your car, etc.?

2. I have a right shoulder injury and am thinking about some type of DA or ROB to wax the car. What is the best powered device to do this? What about swirls and damage to the car when using these types of machines?
Personally, I have two DA's (a Porter Cable 7424 and a Flex 3401). I rarely use either of them to apply LSP's (last step products; sealants/waxes). I use them mainly for correction. However, there are pads you can buy that are specifically designed for this purpose (basically, they have no "cut"). The type of pad and product you use will determine the level of abrasiveness (not the tool).

3. What is the best wax to use?
Not to sound condescending, but asking this question is like asking what someone's favorite color or flavor is. What works for one person won't necessarily work well for the next. What matters is what are you looking for in an LSP? What characteristics do you value most?

Personally, I prefer to use LSP's that will last several months (at least 4 but usually 6+). I would consider anything that peters out sooner than that really not worth my time to be honest (considering the multitude of products available these days that will last much longer). ....and if you're simply looking to add a little "boost" to your finish in between reapplications, quick detailers (QD's) and quick waxes (QW's) are great for this task.

There are a lot of good products out there to choose from, it just depends on what you a looking for. I agree with Hal in that it wouldn't be unreasonable to follow a similar regimen like he mentioned but how long an LSP lasts will ultimately depend on many factors (i.e. environmental conditions, where the car is stored, the products/techniques you use to maintain the finish, etc.).

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
That sounds excessive but I suppose it partly depends on your wash habits and what you do in between waxes. I use the Zaino products and they last a looonng time between waxes. The car wash is formulated to not strip the wax and the spray detail enhances the polish that is already there.

I don't drive my car in the rain but other than that, it is mostly a daily driver. But I will go a while between washes. (Up to a month in winter)

Every time you wash your car, you are adding micro scratches. I would rather have a bit of a dull shine once in a while than added scratches.

Using this method and technique, I have only waxed my car once and that was 2 years ago after buying it.

But of course all of this is dependent of my own experience, products I use and driving habits.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I use the new product called "ice", it's a synthetic wax, every time I wash. It's a watery product like a quick detail spray, leaves no white residue and is the easiest spray on wax I've ever used. You can use it on glass, plastic trim, everything. You can do the entire car in about 10 minutes and takes off the leftover water spots from the wash. Took me awhile to find it as it's a new product.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a black Chally.....so unlike Red, Orange, Silver etc, Black needs constant upkeep. The rule of thumb is conventional waxes begin to loose their luster after 6-7 washes, depending on the soap you use. For some, they wash their car once every couple of weeks, so you can get a couple of months out of a wax job before you start to notice it needs some attention again. My car gets washed twice a week, so it's a little different. I wax once a month. Spray detailer goes a long way in keeping it fresh looking between waxing however. Doubles your "need to wax again" time.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I was always taught once before Winter and once before Summer as those are the two seasons that will be more hard on your paint. Combined with regular washes and people think my dads 2004 Cummings turbo Diesel Ram is brand new because the paint is flawless. The california sun usually does some pretty nasty things to car paint if left unprotected. I couldn't see doing it any more often hurting it, it would more hurt your shoulder and your wallet. My 2010 challenger which was bought at the end of 09 still looks brand new after a wash.

·
Super Moderator
13,958 Posts
With my other cars, I used to wax them every month to keep them looking sparkling new. With my HO SRT, I have found the secret to a fantastic shine with much less work

I use Meguiars NXT Tech 2.0 wax twice a year (it's made to last much longer than ordinary waxes) and weekly sprays with Meguiars Ultimate or NXT Detail Spray. After two years, my car looks better than showroom new!

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
if your arm is sore after a nice wax.....it's because you're using old-school stuff. High quality pastewaxes, like A.M's EZ Paste, goes on like butter.....comes off just the same.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....there are a myriad of great products out there these days of varying formulations, characteristics and formats. As far as application, you typically run into three types: WOWO's (wipe on, wipe off), WOWA's (wipe on, walk away) and traditional types (wipe on, let haze, wipe off). Obviously, this is only one aspect and it needs to be weighed against the other properties of each product when you make a decision on what you buy. IME, the actual physical form of the product (whether liquid, paste, etc.) has no bearing on quality, durability, beading/sheeting, etc.

btw, for ease of use, it doesn't get much easier than a WOWA product like Optimum Opti-Seal or Ultima Paint Guard Plus. You literally just wipe the product on each panel and allow it to dry. I typically apply it via an airbrush which takes even less effort but wastes more product.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes, there are endless solutions.

You really can't wax too often, even with a traditional cleaner wax, but more often than every 4 weeks generally isn't necessary unless you're washing or drying it "wrong" or it's outside 24/7.

With modern washes and waxes and spray waxes like our new California Gold Carnauba Wash & Wax, our FX SynWax paste applied every 8 weeks or so, and FX or California Gold Spray Wax applied after every wash as you dry, you can protect your car and keep it looking good with ease.

Synthetic waxes don't chalk, so they're easy to apply and remove, and they're safe on vinyl graphics. The easier the product is to use, the likelihood you'll use it more often so you won't have to go through the effort of using a dedicated polish.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Yes, there are endless solutions.

You really can't wax too often, even with a traditional cleaner wax, but more often than every 4 weeks generally isn't necessary unless you're washing or drying it "wrong" or it's outside 24/7.

With modern washes and waxes and spray waxes like our new California Gold Carnauba Wash & Wax, our FX SynWax paste applied every 8 weeks or so, and FX or California Gold Spray Wax applied after every wash as you dry, you can protect your car and keep it looking good with ease.

Synthetic waxes don't chalk, so they're easy to apply and remove, and they're safe on vinyl graphics. The easier the product is to use, the likelihood you'll use it more often so you won't have to go through the effort of using a dedicated polish.
....I know I've mentioned this before in this forum, but Mike Phillips (formely of Meguiars and now Director of Training with Autogeek) has a favorite saying I enjoy: "Find something you like and use it often". It was a phrase he adopted from a response a PPG paint instructor gave during a presentation when asked by someone in the audience about what wax he would recommend.

Mike's interpretation is that as long as you are using a safe, quality product that provides satisfactory results, there's no reason you shouldn't keep using it. What is more important is that you are using something and that you reapply as necessary.

·
Registered
812 Posts
First, you should clay the vehicle after a good wash and dry. A lightly abrasive polish should be used first. I use Liquid Glass. After the polish, a good non-abrasive sealant should be used. Sealants last much longer than wax. After sealant, a good wax can be used over the sealant to prove gloss and depth to the finish.

Keep in mind that you should cure each coat for 24 hours before applying the next. Check out my pictures on my photobucket link. My method and results speak for itself.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
First, you should clay the vehicle after a good wash and dry. A lightly abrasive polish should be used first. I use Liquid Glass. After the polish, a good non-abrasive sealant should be used. Sealants last much longer than wax. After sealant, a good wax can be used over the sealant to prove gloss and depth to the finish.

Keep in mind that you should cure each coat for 24 hours before applying the next. Check out my pictures on my photobucket link. My method and results speak for itself.
....all of this depends on the condition of your finish, your goals and the characteristics of the products you use.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I do a full once over twice a year, once before the fall/winter and once in the spring/summer, this includes clay bar, swirl removers, the whole nine yards.

Usually I put a final carnuba wax (Poorboy's Natty's) on once a month to keep the depth/shine and protection going.

I have a Porter Cable 7424 and have had it for about 6 years, I wouldn't detail without it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts