Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to change my oil every 3500 miles. The dealer told me that an RT CHallenger only needs it every 6,000. How often should I change it if I run regular oil in it?

I want to keep some spare parts.

What type of oil do these take? What all should I keep spares of for road side fixes?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Read and follow your owners manual you can't go wrong...

·
Registered
232 Posts
????????????????????????????????????????????

Honestly Kip.....

Will you ever start a thread that has a purpose? Lately your posts have been wasting a lot of our time. This thread is just drivel.

From this point on, I will pass on your threads. I have wasted enough of my time.

If you have legit questions/concerns, we will assist you. This thread is a waste of space.

Stevo
(Mods... Nobodies business)

·
Registered
861 Posts
^^^Aww come on it's not that bad, I have fun laughing at this guys mindless drone of endless dribble!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I used to change my oil every 3500 miles. The dealer told me that an RT CHallenger only needs it every 6,000. How often should I change it if I run regular oil in it?

I want to keep some spare parts.

What type of oil do these take? What all should I keep spares of for road side fixes?
6,000 miles

It takes oily oil. the kind that lubricates the engine

Spares - AAA membership

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
oil change every 10000 at least

as for spare parts you need
4 spare tires w/rims
20 spare lug nuts
5 gallons gas
4 jack stands
2 jacks
50 fuses (random sizes)
2 wiper blades
1 gallon antifreeze
1 gallon washer fluid
14 quarts of oil just in case you need to change twice
2 oil filters
spare fuel pump
16 spark plugs
air filter
a full 500 piece mechanics tool kit
power steering pump
etc etc

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Oh my that list is very long now he will need a trailer, can you get a trailer hitch for a "chally" (OMG that hurt)Challenger (that's better)?

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I'll humor you and answer your questions. The manual says NEVER EXCEED 6000 miles between oil changes. It takes 7 quarts of 5-20 oil for a RT. There is no way to know what to carry with you.

Chally Greg

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll humor you and answer your questions. The manual says NEVER EXCEED 6000 miles between oil changes. It takes 7 quarts of 5-20 oil for a RT. There is no way to know what to carry with you.

Chally Greg
Can I change it at 6 without an issue or should I aim to change it at less miles?

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
This has been fought on here alot of times and I think that's why alot of guys were short with you. Page 417 of the owners manual says: "Under no circumstancees should the oil change intervals exceed 6000 miles (10000 km) or 6 months, wichever comes first" . if your useing cheap oil why don't you just change it like you always did. The dealership I go to says because of the heat and dust to change it at 3K. Most people say that's over kill but I do it (most of the time. I was on a road trip when that came up so it will be 4K this time).

·
Registered
57 Posts
oil change every 10000 at least

as for spare parts you need
4 spare tires w/rims
20 spare lug nuts
5 gallons gas
4 jack stands
2 jacks
50 fuses (random sizes)
2 wiper blades
1 gallon antifreeze
1 gallon washer fluid
14 quarts of oil just in case you need to change twice
2 oil filters
spare fuel pump
16 spark plugs
air filter
a full 500 piece mechanics tool kit
power steering pump
etc etc

~~~~~~~ //// And a partidge in a pear tree... ///////~~~~~~~

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Can I change it at 6 without an issue or should I aim to change it at less miles?
....if you're genuinely concerned, the only way to know for sure is to have a UOA (used oils analysis) done. If you go through a company like Blackstone Labs, you simply send them a sample in the provided container at your next OCI (oil change interval). They will analyze the sample and provide data on the condition of the oil (i.e. how well its holding up, various metals/contaminants they find, etc.). They will also provide a recommendation for an OCI that may work for you. If you do 2-3 of these, you can really dial in your intervals.

....it was during the 80's when the quick lube companies (i.e. Jiffy Lube) propagated the suggestion of 3k mile OCI’s. Thanks to great marketing, it stuck with many folks and became gospel (even in situations where the manufacturer recommends longer intervals or in the face of legitimate, laboratory testing).

The fact of the matter is that it really depends on the individual application and situation when considering OCI’s. Simply visiting sites like bobistheoilguy.com and reading the information (including the UOA’s people post), you can understand why some chuckle at the idea of a magical 3k mark and think it’s an unfounded suggestion as a generalization. In either case, I would wager many would be surprised if they submitted their own UOA to a lab like Blackstone. ….which is the only way to truly know/verify an appropriate OCI for your scenario.

·
Registered
221 Posts
gsochallenger, do they give you a hard time about your avi?
I got slapped on the wrist for posting a pic of a lady in the backseat of a challenger.. she was doing the downward dog.

also, great to see kip42 is still kicking

·
Registered
536 Posts
Always carry water and one of those silver looking blankets...Maybe a flare gun or floatation device if you drive your car into a lake. Maybe a sign that says S.O.S save my Challenger? Glow sticks are always fun when your stuck on the side of the road at nite....Did I miss anything?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts