Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am about to sign up for the experience and I got to thinking what safely precautions are taken to make sure people don't have issues? Is there anything I should bring before I get there?

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
When you get there find out who just traded a Toyota for an SRT and stay the hell away from them! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you have your own helmet then bring it. They group drivers into perceived skill levels so drive it like you stole it or you will be stuck behind some 16 year old whose mom drove him to the event because he only just got his license.:headbang: These events are significantly safer than driving on public roads. Don't sweat it.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
I have been to the track experience more than once and it is very safety oriented. Obviously you need to be aware of your surroundings and pay attention, forget messing with the radio or your cell phone while driving. Try to team up with with somebody of equal skill for the road course part if possible. On the road course they will tell you to stay 3 car lengths off the lead car bumper. The closer you adhere to that the faster they will run. If you or your partner fall back, they slow everything down.

·
Premium Member
10,432 Posts
My son was 18 when we went and he asked about who is responsible if he wrecks a car, I told him it's their problem as we didn't assume liability. You had to see him go, he took curves with his foot planted while I hit the brakes on them. The instructor liked him and gave him more freedom than I thought he would have. If he didn't have any problems I'm sure you'll be plenty safe. Go and enjoy. He loved the autocross too.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I took hot sauce with me since I like to put that shit on everything. Good food. Be on time. I was a little late and I missed breakfast. Heard it was good. Lunch was great.
They don't like it when you push the car around the ring. I was the last person following and I intentionally was trying to break it lose. I cheated and turned off the TC off which you're not supposed to do. It was fun and took some effort to get it lose the tail. Afterwards I got an earful from the instructor. Overall a fun day with the wife. Just don't forget the hot sauce.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Really cant go wrong......They don't let you turn off the nannies. :) The car will take care of you.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
At the end of the event you'll be riding as a passenger with an instructor for some hot laps. Just hold on tight. But even then they aren't pushing it 100%. Maybe 70%. I did mine at the AAA Speedway in Fontana.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
This reminds me, I still gave two unused passes: one for my 2012 300 SRT and the other for my current Challenger 392. I talked to SRT awhile back to make sure I could still use them; they said yes, but work is just non-stop!

BTW, I did the first several SRT Track days at Fontana as well; the last one at Laguna Seca: it's well worth driving up the gorgeous California coast to drive on that track. It's a 100 times better than Fontana.

Reactions: wasp392

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
We got to drive on about half of it, but the better half! Including the infamous Corkscrew!

It was a hoot and a half!

Reactions: wasp392

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
No offense intended to the OP or anyone else, but if one is concerned about and questioning the safety of such an event, maybe the event is not for you.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Very safe, as already stated, turning off traction/stability control is a big no-no.. trust me, they'll know if you do. :D

My favorite part was of course the road course. First run out with my dad, I was following behind the instructor, glued to his bumper... when we came into the pits, he got out of the car and came back to mine. Normally they just sit in the car and wait for the next pair so here I was thinking we were getting kicked out, LOL.

He asked if I had any racing experience... "nope, just street driving and lots of simulation racing games (Gran Turismo)". He said we would have fun today and we made sure to go out with him as much as possible, including the ride-along. The instructors definitely have to hold back and not go 100%, even with the aids on.. there were multiple times where I could have passed him but had to let off.

All-in-all, good amount of fun included with your SRT purchase. Looking forward to hopefully hitting up VIR after the Hellcat comes.

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat Challenger
2,380 Posts
Where are the tracks located that they use, I live near Talladega speed way in Alabama but it's just a oval track. Anyone know where they go in the South East. I just ordered my 15 SRT

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Reactions: Currybob

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 73 year old dad drove and had a blast! Totally safe and the drivers are complete professionals. We were impressed by the whole day of events. Everyone we had contact with was wonderful! We were at the Watkins Glen International road course in New York! In a word.... AWESOME!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts