Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Speedlogix catch can installed.

Have a quick question. How tight should I close it? It’s a bit of a bear to get to. I’ve got it basically finger tight. Opened it today while washing the car and there was a bit of oil in it after probably 200 miles so it’s working.

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
You should only have to empty your catch can every other oil change.

To provide hand clearance, I recommend that you install a Z-bracket. You can buy one for $19.88 from Speedlogix, one of our Supporting Vendors.

UPR Catch Can Z Bracket

·
Registered
185 Posts
Got my Speedlogix catch can installed.

Have a quick question. How tight should I close it? It’s a bit of a bear to get to. I’ve got it basically finger tight. Opened it today while washing the car and there was a bit of oil in it after probably 200 miles so it’s working.
I usually tighten my can up until I feel the o-ring is nicely compressed, but not passed that. If I tighten it as far as I can with my hand, it's usually an absolute bear to get off the next time. Especially if you have it mounted in the common front and center location using the bolt and jam nut on the engine block. Very tough to get a grip on it in that location. I see in your signature you have a Mopar CAI, so the intake silencer is gone and not a problem for mounting. The Z bracket that Cuda340 recommends is a terrific mount...that's what I used on my 2015 Scat Pack, and provides great access to remove/install the can. However, I now have a 2018 R/T 5.7 with the intake silencer which makes mounting a can using the Z bracket or standard bolt mount impossible. I've ordered a fender mount from BT and will see how that goes. I have a Charger intake without the silencer that I bought for my 2014 R/T 5.7 that I can swap on, but I don't really want to remove the silencer or full engine cover on this vehicle this time around if I don't need to.

·
Premium Member
9,346 Posts
I turn it finger tight until it just meets resistance which is after you make o-ring contact and slightly beyond. . Usually it can easily be removed and on the off chance it doesn’t want to I have a small rubber strap wrench which does the job well and makes no marks. You can buy a two wrench pack at harbor freight for less than $10. If not tight enough you will get some oil seepage and have to deal with cleaning the area.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
There is no need to go crazy and over tighten here if you are going to empty it every couple of months. Or maybe less if it isn't your everyday driver.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent. Thank you all for your input and happy new year!

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
How about until the point of contact and then a quarter to half turn like a oil filter?

·
Registered
2018 SRT
2,643 Posts
No It doesn't work that way. This isn't rocket science here , the thing screws in until it bottoms out. That's it , simple , no brainer , once it's bottomed out there isn't no need to tweak it with a tool or monkey grip the think any tighter . That's it , simple

·
Premium Member
9,346 Posts
How about until the point of contact and then a quarter to half turn like a oil filter?
If you only turn a quarter to a half turn your filter will leak. Look at the package which I believe is closer to 3/4-1 full turn. I’ll go find a filter in my garage to be certain.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
No It doesn't work that way. This isn't rocket science here , the thing screws in until it bottoms out. That's it , simple , no brainer , once it's bottomed out there isn't no need to tweak it with a tool or monkey grip the think any tighter . That's it , simple
Are they ALL designed that way?

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
If you only turn a quarter to a half turn your filter will leak. Look at the package which I believe is closer to 3/4-1 full turn. I’ll go find a filter in my garage to be certain.
Ok, but GLENNS HC the post above you says that's over tightening it??

Hence my question if they are ALL designed the same way.

·
Registered
2018 SRT
2,643 Posts
Oil filter not catch can. Turn the catch can gently until it stops.
Ahhhh now here is someone that make sense . We seem to have some that can't navigate a cap and screw. If you can't put a cap back on to its treads and seat it, perhaps you should not have one or perform any kind of automotive repairs . Take it to the dealer and let them do it for you. There's no shame in that .:thumbsup:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I can navigate a cap and screw. Not afraid to dive in and work on an engine - do things on my own.

Just a simple question - never had a catch can. It’ll seat to the o-ring and seal but will also continue to tighten well beyond. Hell. I could put a strap wrench on it and get it quite tight.

It’s not a simple “tighten until it stops” question. It’s not a light bulb. Ha ha. Wasn’t sure if it should be filter tight or finger tight. Plain and simple. Seemed like a reasonable question.

Being able to ask questions and learn is what makes these boards valuable in my opinion and doing so without ridicule should be expected.

Oil filter not catch can. Turn the catch can gently until it stops.
Ahhhh now here is someone that make sense . We seem to have some that can't navigate a cap and screw. If you can't put a cap back on to its treads and seat it, perhaps you should not have one or perform any kind of automotive repairs . Take it to the dealer and let them do it for you. There's no shame in that .

·
Premium Member
9,346 Posts
Yes, once it makes seal contact it will keep going, turn it until it stops but don’t go harder. At the point after an oil change interval you will need the strap wrench as it won’t be hand loose anymore. It needs that gentle coaxing to come loose. My Jeep Wrangler 3.6 has the cartridge type oil filter and same thing, go past o-ring contact which will seal but I go past until it gently stops and never leaked anything and will easily come undone with a wrench.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I can navigate a cap and screw. Not afraid to dive in and work on an engine - do things on my own.

Just a simple question - never had a catch can. It’ll seat to the o-ring and seal but will also continue to tighten well beyond. Hell. I could put a strap wrench on it and get it quite tight.

It’s not a simple “tighten until it stops” question. It’s not a light bulb. Ha ha. Wasn’t sure if it should be filter tight or finger tight. Plain and simple. Seemed like a reasonable question.

Being able to ask questions and learn is what makes these boards valuable in my opinion and doing so without ridicule should be expected.
Don't sweat it, most of us can answer a question without being sarcastic and condescending.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts