Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 504 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
First off I would like to thank DionR, who has a 2015 R/T manual with STP and launch control, for posting his BCM and ABS module info pulled from alfaOBD.

Basically this all started in this thread, post #38 where DionR mentioned something about adding drive modes using Tazer. Well that and his post about the HVAC center stack controls. The link below has a lot more info to my approach but I thought I would consolidate everything in a single thread. I also added links to the posts that contained additional information.

Now on my 2015 R/T+ (did not come with STP/launch control) every time I tried to enable STP I would lose sport mode. That is until DionR mentioned setting drive mode to SCAT via the Tazer. Once I did that BAM, not only did my sport mode come back but now traction control would turn off automatically. Not to mention I saw a new icon pop-up on my radio called Perf. Control.

When I clicked on it I got the launch control screen. All the controls worked on it except for Launch control. Pressing launch mode would say it is active but nothing showed up on my instrument cluster.

First I thought the PCM had something to do with it so I checked if in the tune there was anything launch control related and there was. But it already showed it was enabled.

Then I thought this was because I did not have the correct center stack controls...you know the one with the STP button. So I found a center stack control unit 68184927AB from a junkyard and installed it. All it did was to launch Perf. Control and that was it.

So then I though, hey maybe the BCM had something to do with it? So I looked everywhere to see if there was a configuration that could be activated...nothing popped out. Until I asked DionR if he could provide the log of his BCM (and eventually ABS) module. The only difference was the Chassis Type on his car was 77 and my was 76. I looked high and low...only to find two things about chassis type..Jack and Sh!t. So I took a gamble and changed my BCM configuration to type 77. Next thing I know my ABS and Stability control lit up and I was getting a C2206 error from the ABS module. Once I confirmed that DionR and I had the same ABS module and settings I was convinced all I had to do was initialize the ABS.

So I set the chassis type to 77 and initialized the ABS module per alfaOBD instructions (see link above) and all of the sudden launch control worked. So now I have an RT+ equipped with functioning STP button and launch control.

I am pretty sure this can be done on SXT and RTs with an automatic, but you would need a BCM read from a car that came equipped with STP to confirm chassis type and that ABS is the same (just to be safe).

So to recap, for my vehicle the changes I needed to make in the BCM with alfaOBD were:

Performance Pages Present: Present (was originally not present) -- not really critical but hey why not
Drive mode feature configuration: Set (was originally not set) -- this made sport mode work again and TC would turn off automatically.
Memory drive mode sub-feature configuration: Set (was originally not set)
ESC drive mode sub-feature configuration: Set (was originally not set)
Chassis Type: Type 77 (was originally 76)
Super trac pack present: Set (was originally not set)

I then connected to the ABS module and ran the initialization per alfaOBD instructions.

I also think there are some changes to cold launch spark and multiplier tables in the PCM tune but I have yet to get my hands on a stock tune of a manual RT with STP.

This should be something the folks at Zautomotive should take a look at to see if they can add it to the next tazer firmware.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am off to the garage to see if performance pages will finally work and if I can disable TC/ESP without having Tazer plugged in. BTW if you don't have alfaOBD you should seriously think about getting it, it is a pretty powerful tool.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So I tried disabling TC/Stability by holding the TC button WITHOUT the tazer plugged in and guess what it works! With the tazer ABS would also be disabled and the IP cluster would flash. My performance pages still does not work but instead of saying there is no active subscription it just does nothing when I press the tab in perf. control. I might try a radio reset but my trial traffic/weather/mobile is still active until mid March. Anyways I am pretty excited to get STP/Launch working.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If you guys don't believe me, below is my window sticker along with a stock read of my BCM and the log of the modified BCM that enabled STP/Launch control. Oh and I still plan on keeping my tazer as I like the line lock and light show but that's about all it gives me (maybe all windows down with the fob but I think that too can be programmed by alfaOBD). Added the ABS read as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Holy moses!

Ive wanted launch control so bad for so long! Always urks me because my local 1/8th is slightly tilted back! So when im pre loading the clutch im losing my ass lol.

This info is too good to be free chally ide contact Z automotive and work out a deal ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
used alfaobd to add backup camera to my 2013 as well as rain sensing wipers and 4 wheel TPS (custom harnesses were also made). Great, cheap tool.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
I wonder if Shift light can be made to work too. Even though I have the A8 I think it would be pretty neat. and Yeah @ChallyTatum you should contact the Z Automotive people since they let their firmware updates die for the TAZER!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, I want to contact their support and make the suggestion. I don't want any compensation for it...I would rather have the updated firmware. :)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holy moses!

Ive wanted launch control so bad for so long! Always urks me because my local 1/8th is slightly tilted back! So when im pre loading the clutch im losing my ass lol.

This info is too good to be free chally ide contact Z automotive and work out a deal ;)
If you have a manual RT then the instructions I give should work. Just compare your BCM and ABS reading to the ones I posted and make the changes but don't forget to initialize the ABS module when you are done.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If you have a manual RT then the instructions I give should work. Just compare your BCM and ABS reading to the ones I posted and make the changes but don't forget to initialize the ABS module when you are done.
Gonna have to look into this alpha obd tool

So it is able to perform different functions then a regular scanner? Say like a snap-on scanner?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Gonna have to look into this alpha obd tool

So it is able to perform different functions then a regular scanner? Say like a snap-on scanner?
It is able to interrogate pretty much all modules and run diagnostics on them. There is a brake bleed program (never tried) and some other cool stuff. I highly recommend getting the PC version as you can look at the different options available on a big screen. The free version runs for 15min then stops working until you restart the software. Plenty of time to make config changes. I have the licensed version and for $50 + cost of OBD interface it is more powerful than my millenium scan tool. It also compliments HP tuners...with those 2 software you are pretty much in control of everything.

As I mentioned before there is also diagFCA (vin locked though) which has a nicer interface but I have not heard from them if it works on +2015 models.

Ideally I would like Tazer to add this in their firmware...no PC to mess with, just do it all with the IP cluster and steering wheel buttons.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
I have an ELM327 to use with the Torque app, will it work with ALFA OBD? I am planning on getting a laptop after my car gets a cam and tune (HP TUNERS). Gotta have priorities, these other things are nice to play with but I have to get my car if not in the 12's this year, real damn close!

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Yup, I want to contact their support and make the suggestion. I don't want any compensation for it...I would rather have the updated firmware. :)
You know if they would come out with an App for your phone that had the simple menu choices like the TAZER does now in the Evic that ran on your phone and laptop or PC and a new OBD adapter that had blue tooth in it and was priced between the 249 to 279 price range, they could get a new slew of suc....errrr ah customers. :D

Heck I would leave my old one in the trunk (on the bypass) for Line Lock, cool down <<if they ever fix cool down>>, and light show and use the new one with the BT under the dash for making all the new mods.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

ELM327 - based USB / Bluetooth / WLAN interfaces for PC and bluetooth/WiFi-enabled Android and Windows devices. All CAN units are supported and some of K-Line. Make sure the ELM 327 is of version 1.3 and above.
Warning: There are many suppliers of these interfaces, but not all of sold interfaces are compatible with AlfaOBD!
An ebay interface based on an ELM327 clone might work fine with a bit of luck. But there are lots of defective interfaces sold which can not establish connection to the car ECUs under AlfaOBD. If AlfaOBD displays a message "Interface reports NO DATA" or "Interface reports CAN ERROR" when connecting to the car ECU, this is most probably a sign that you have one of these defective interfaces. Such an interface might work fine with other diagnostic software using OBDII/EOBD protocol, but it can have issues with AlfaOBD because of a different diagnostic protocol used.
It is recommended to use an ELM327 interface tested with AlfaOBD.
For example, the interfaces sold by Electronic-Fuchs.de and Obdauto.fr have been tested for compatibility with AlfaOBD.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You know if they would come out with an App for your phone that had the simple menu choices like the TAZER does now in the Evic that ran on your phone and laptop or PC and a new OBD adapter that had blue tooth in it and was priced between the 249 to 279 price range, they could get a new slew of suc....errrr ah customers. :D

Heck I would leave my old one in the trunk (on the bypass) for Line Lock, cool down <<if they ever fix cool down>>, and light show and use the new one with the BT under the dash for making all the new mods.
There is an adroid version but it requires google drive to output your logs. My IT blocks it on my phone so PC is my only option.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe you should get a read of the radio, if you can of someone who never had a Uconnect Subscription.
Not much info on the radio read if I recall correctly. I actually took reads of all my modules...there is a lot of stuff to go through and some info is not intuitive. Would be nice if members could post their logs along with their build sheet so folks can compare.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Maybe you should get a read of the radio, if you can of someone who never had a Uconnect Subscription.
Im not sure how, but i DID have a subscription when i first bought the car (free trial) i fought with my tazer for two years but after cycling the battery to do some wiring for the 392 manifold, it completely bypassed the lock. So in my head, either there is a ticking clock at Uconnect’s database when they delete your file, or reset you battery to completely drain a couple of times

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
781 Posts
I wonder if Shift light can be made to work too. Even though I have the A8 I think it would be pretty neat. and Yeah @ChallyTatum you should contact the Z Automotive people since they let their firmware updates die for the TAZER!
Shift light will probably work, but to be honest, it isn't that fun or easy to see. I have it on my Scat A8 and have used it 2x before deciding it's better to just let the trans do the work, especially in 1st or 2nd. There simply is not enough reaction time unless you set it really low. It also will not light unless you are giving pretty heavy throttle and have the shifter in the M gate no matter what rpm you set it for. When I first played with it, I thought it didn't work because I had it set for 3k and wasn't pushing the throttle hard enough to make it light up.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Shift light will probably work, but to be honest, it isn't that fun or easy to see. I have it on my Scat A8 and have used it 2x before deciding it's better to just let the trans do the work, especially in 1st or 2nd. There simply is not enough reaction time unless you set it really low. It also will not light unless you are giving pretty heavy throttle and have the shifter in the M gate no matter what rpm you set it for. When I first played with it, I thought it didn't work because I had it set for 3k and wasn't pushing the throttle hard enough to make it light up.
I hope I remember that in the spring!

1 - 20 of 504 Posts