Dodge Challenger Forum banner

561 - 580 of 593 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
54 Posts
I am not very knowledgeable about newer vehicle electronics and read your posts to try to understand the things you all are able to do to these cars. Not to hijack this thread but if I purchased the adapter you referenced above, would I need additional software to use it on my Challenger? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #562
I am not very knowledgeable about newer vehicle electronics and read your posts to try to understand the things you all are able to do to these cars. Not to hijack this thread but if I purchased the adapter you referenced above, would I need additional software to use it on my Challenger? Thanks for any advice.
Yes you will need AlfaOBD ~$50 (not vin locked like diagFCA which is a similar software) to be able to make changes to the BCM.

Now a member here Frank Julian found out the OBDlink (makers of MX interface) sells an enhanced software for FCA vehicles for $85 but not sure if it can do everything that alfa does?

https://www.obdsoftware.net/software/fcaenhancedaddon

IMO you can't go wrong running alfa. For what it can do it is the best bang for your buck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the information. I have a scan tool that I have used on some of my other cars, however after reading some of your all's posts I have realized that it probably wouldn't work on my Challenger should I need it. Hopefully never but want to be prepared just in case. Thanks

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Yes you will need AlfaOBD ~$50 (not vin locked like diagFCA which is a similar software) to be able to make changes to the BCM.

Now a member here Frank Julian found out the OBDlink (makers of MX interface) sells an enhanced software for FCA vehicles for $85 but not sure if it can do everything that alfa does?

FCA Enhanced Diagnostics for Windows | OBDSoftware.net

IMO you can't go wrong running alfa. For what it can do it is the best bang for your buck.
I never bought that $85.00 interface, I believe it just reads all the FCA sensors and diagnostics, they have a Ford and GM add on too. Just use Alfa ;D

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
628 Posts
Thanks for the information. I have a scan tool that I have used on some of my other cars, however after reading some of your all's posts I have realized that it probably wouldn't work on my Challenger should I need it. Hopefully never but want to be prepared just in case. Thanks
To be clear, sounds like you just want something to check trouble codes and clear them? If so, you only need the interface, it comes with it’s own app. You only need AlphaOBD if you want to make configuration changes (e.g. turn on Performance Pages, etc.).

If you have a scan tool, I would give it a shot. My first foray into this was with a borrowed $10 scan tool and the free version of AlphaOBD and it connected fine to the PCM and BCM. I only bought the MX+ because I wanted to be able to connect to some other modules, but if you are only looking for trouble codes you probably wouldn’t care.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #566 (Edited)
You only need AlphaOBD if you want to make configuration changes (e.g. turn on Performance Pages, etc.).
Actually Alfa can read error codes from ALL modules (AC, ABS..etc), most aftermarket interfaces can't. You can also perform active diagnostics like check to see which wheel sensor is reading incorrectly, activate certain lights to see if they failed, relearn cam/crank sensor if either were ever replace, cycle ABS solenoids to bleed brakes, reset steering compensation...it really is a powerful diagnostic software that can also change vehicle configuration so you can get PP, launch control etc.

The key is to get an interface that can communicate with the can bus properly with alfa. MX/MX+ work flawlessly but other interfaces may be able to read but not perform certain tasks. In some cases an adapter might be needed to access a different bus where the MX/MX+ do not because they can do so internally.

At first I thought alfa was a joke, but it is not and if you pair it with HP tuners you literally have full control of your challenger.

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
628 Posts
Actually Alfa can read error codes from ALL modules (AC, ABS..etc), most aftermarket interfaces can't. You can also perform active diagnostics like check to see which wheel sensor is reading incorrectly, activate certain lights to see if they failed, relearn cam/crank sensor if either were ever replace, cycle ABS solenoids to bleed brakes, reset steering compensation...it really is a powerful diagnostic software that can also change vehicle configuration so you can get PP, launch control etc.

The key is to get an interface that can communicate with the can bus properly with alfa. MX/MX+ work flawlessly but other interfaces may be able to read but not perform certain tasks. In some cases an adapter might be needed to access different a different bus where the MX/MX+ do not because they can do so internally.
No argument, he just sounded like he wanted something pretty basic. If so, wanted to make sure he wasn’t confused and thought he couldn’t read trouble codes and such without AlphaOBD.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #568
No argument, he just sounded like he wanted something pretty basic. If so, wanted to make sure he wasn’t confused and thought he couldn’t read trouble codes and such without AlphaOBD.
Shoot, sorry man did not recognize it was you...your avatar is different. I feel like I was just preaching to the preacher. :)

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
628 Posts
Shoot, sorry man did not recognize it was you...your avatar is different. I feel like I was just preaching to the preacher. :)
I am far from being worthy of any titles. I just got lucky with a couple of settings, you are the one with enough guts to try changing the chassis type and getting past the error lights.

Changed my avatar after I sold my Challenger. Felt like I was lying to keep a picture of it up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks again for the information. I'm not currently having any problems. I have had problems with a 2005 Mercury and a 2004 Cadillac. The scan tool I have has worked for what I have needed it to do so far but I prefer to do my own work and after reading some of your troubleshooting techniques I have realized that the tool I have may not be able to troubleshoot future issues. I just want to be prepared. (Retired Firefighter). You guys do some amazing things that I don't even understand but I'm learning. Thanks again

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #573
Yeah and instead of a number it was more of a description with a HP value. The chassis type is its own Dodge Vinci code. BTW here is the list so far.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Yeah and instead of a number it was more of a description with a HP value. The chassis type is its own Dodge Vinci code. BTW here is the list so far.

V8 530 HP RWD If it wasn't put away I would try that setting.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #576
V8 530 HP RWD If it wasn't put away I would try that setting.
I am still driving my RT. Took it to work today and the flat spots were pretty bad for the first couple of miles. The very first 1 to 2 shift was crunchy (forgot to run thru the gears while warming up in the garage). Once everything warmed up I blipped the throttle and the 315 nittos spun with easy and with the SC it pegged 6400rpm rev limit faster than I could react. Really not that fun to drive with the summer tires.

Probably will do one final wash this week, change the engine oil, finally install the new water pump and let it sit on a battery tender until spring of next year. In the meantime, I need to find a fix for the EGR monitor...still shows up as incomplete. If I could only swap in PCM (not sure if it is a GPEC2 vs GPEC2A thing?) that does not have it as monitored.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Challytatum. Where did you hook up the harness for the battery tender. Under the hood or directly to the battery? I am having surgery in a few weeks and won't be able to drive for a couple of months. Thought I would swap the tender from my Harley to keep it up while I am down. Thanks

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #578
Under the hood is where I connect the battery tender. Otherwise I would need to run an extension cord to reach the trunk.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,610 Posts
You can open the passenger headlight and run the wires through the air catcher hole :)

A Guy

561 - 580 of 593 Posts