Dodge Challenger Forum banner

301 - 311 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
377 Posts
My car doesn't even have the purple FAKRA connector since it didn't come with a shark fin antenna. From the 8.4 Upgrade instructions, it appears there might be a cable with the correct end in my car, but it terminates behind the glove box and isn't plugged into anything on the other end anyway. I see no advantage to adding the antenna, so haven't bothered to do that.

When I plugged in the 8.4A for the first time, I just left that plug empty on the radio. When I fired the car up and got the radio working, I discovered it came with NAV (bonus!). I intentionally bought an 8.4A because I didn't really care if I had navigation. When I drove the car around the block, it followed the map accurately and we have since used it one other time and it all worked fine.

Because I kept having to say OK to the "service cellphone antenna" error, I built a defeater using a 10K resistor as you mentioned. Had to order a pack of 10 resistors on Amazon since I couldn't find a place locally that sold them. Went to a local JY and they cut the end off a car there so I had the plug and a length of wire. The resistor just gets soldered to the center wire and the jacket. Covered it with glue from a glue stick so the ends couldn't touch and then some shrink wrap. No more error. In retrospect, I could have cut the wire jacket further back and done it more cleanly (skipping the glue stick), but didn't think of that until just now. Hoping the heat the resistor generates isn't enough to melt the glue and make it drip.

In regards to 3G still getting through, I have had to pause a couple of times and wonder. I remember reading that thread on the Ram forum last fall, but it still makes no sense to me how a resistor could act as an antenna, even a weak one. The only other option I can see is if maybe the radio tries to use the 3G antenna on the cellphone? But that doesn't make a lot of sense so I don't think it is doing that.

Reason I have wondered if the car is somehow getting a 3G signal is because I opened the Yelp app to see if it worked and got pretty accurate results for "coffee shops". I also was able to find my wife's chiropractor's office the one time we used the navigation. I think it is just due to a database on the radio due to the navigation, but was really surprised that it seemed so up to date.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,793 Posts
I think it's just adding some resistance as it would see if the antenna was connected. The antenna wire length would normally add that resistance

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
Just popped in the garage to see if I still had PP. Turned the car on, tapped on the PP app (surprised it was still there) and a screen popped up saying I do not have an active subscription. I was like WTH here we go again but then I tried thru performance control and PP popped up (along with the phone error message). I still do see 1 bar but the 3G icon does not show up. Ordered the Fakra D connector off amazon for $5 and going to do the resistor thing. I reached out to our RF expert at work to see if he would have any other suggestions to kill the signal either passive or actively but have not heard back. Thanks again @DionR!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
Was able to finally get alfa to read the ID and status of the radio. Used my phone and maxed out the interface timeout.

Not much to gleem from it but for my vin it just says current/original and no vin?

And if I look at the status it tells me the cellular signal strength with nothing connected to it. Wonder how much it will change with the resistor added? It also shows X65 subscription status as suspended. Wonder if the is the PP? @DionR I wonder what your radio status will show...you mind posting it up or just what it says for the X65 subscription?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm sure this can be hacked.
There is a programmer guy in my town who offers to "pimp my dodge" for 400 bucks. that includes activation of all those features and hidden pages, NAV activation on VP3, European maps, different small tweaks like ones that Tazer can do. he even adds Russian interface to all the menus. but you can't update uConnect after that anymore.
of course he's not gonna share his secrets. but the point is - it's possible. and seems like you digging at the right place

I think it's just adding some resistance as it would see if the antenna was connected. The antenna wire length would normally add that resistance

A Guy
that's not how resistance works

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
If the 3G antenna is still connected I wonder how he gets around the OTA firmware updates that get pushed thru by Uconnect?

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the 3G antenna is still connected I wonder how he gets around the OTA firmware updates that get pushed thru by Uconnect?
idk but it works. also he adds Russian keyboard Russian voice interface and even localized voice recognition feature. all that means that uConnect can be fully reconfigured and customized. that's a fact.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
I thought I saw a language setting in the engineering screen when I do the factory reset?

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
377 Posts
Was able to finally get alfa to read the ID and status of the radio. Used my phone and maxed out the interface timeout.

Not much to gleem from it but for my vin it just says current/original and no vin?
View attachment 994144

And if I look at the status it tells me the cellular signal strength with nothing connected to it. Wonder how much it will change with the resistor added? It also shows X65 subscription status as suspended. Wonder if the is the PP? @DionR I wonder what your radio status will show...you mind posting it up or just what it says for the X65 subscription?
View attachment 994145
Pretty sure I did a read of my radio already, but don’t think it included status. I will get a read tomorrow and post it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,793 Posts
that's not how resistance works
Disagree, that is exactly how resistance works. The longer the wire, the higher the resistance. Assuming the radio is expecting to see the antenna and wiring there, adding a resistor would satisfy that sensing

A Guy

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
377 Posts
@DionR I wonder what your radio status will show...you mind posting it up or just what it says for the X65 subscription?
Attached is the read from the 8.4 I swapped in. My X65 Subscription Status says Suspended. My cell signal strength is -103 dBm.

Attachments

301 - 311 of 311 Posts