Dodge Challenger Forum banner

How to add STP & Launch control to an R/T+ w/manual trans

134K views 905 replies 38 participants last post by  d1man_bg 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
First off I would like to thank DionR, who has a 2015 R/T manual with STP and launch control, for posting his BCM and ABS module info pulled from alfaOBD.

Basically this all started in this thread, post #38 where DionR mentioned something about adding drive modes using Tazer. Well that and his post about the HVAC center stack controls. The link below has a lot more info to my approach but I thought I would consolidate everything in a single thread. I also added links to the posts that contained additional information.

Now on my 2015 R/T+ (did not come with STP/launch control) every time I tried to enable STP I would lose sport mode. That is until DionR mentioned setting drive mode to SCAT via the Tazer. Once I did that BAM, not only did my sport mode come back but now traction control would turn off automatically. Not to mention I saw a new icon pop-up on my radio called Perf. Control.

When I clicked on it I got the launch control screen. All the controls worked on it except for Launch control. Pressing launch mode would say it is active but nothing showed up on my instrument cluster.

First I thought the PCM had something to do with it so I checked if in the tune there was anything launch control related and there was. But it already showed it was enabled.

Then I thought this was because I did not have the correct center stack controls...you know the one with the STP button. So I found a center stack control unit 68184927AB from a junkyard and installed it. All it did was to launch Perf. Control and that was it.

So then I though, hey maybe the BCM had something to do with it? So I looked everywhere to see if there was a configuration that could be activated...nothing popped out. Until I asked DionR if he could provide the log of his BCM (and eventually ABS) module. The only difference was the Chassis Type on his car was 77 and my was 76. I looked high and low...only to find two things about chassis type..Jack and Sh!t. So I took a gamble and changed my BCM configuration to type 77. Next thing I know my ABS and Stability control lit up and I was getting a C2206 error from the ABS module. Once I confirmed that DionR and I had the same ABS module and settings I was convinced all I had to do was initialize the ABS.

So I set the chassis type to 77 and initialized the ABS module per alfaOBD instructions (see link above) and all of the sudden launch control worked. So now I have an RT+ equipped with functioning STP button and launch control.

I am pretty sure this can be done on SXT and RTs with an automatic, but you would need a BCM read from a car that came equipped with STP to confirm chassis type and that ABS is the same (just to be safe).

So to recap, for my vehicle the changes I needed to make in the BCM with alfaOBD were:

Performance Pages Present: Present (was originally not present) -- not really critical but hey why not
Drive mode feature configuration: Set (was originally not set) -- this made sport mode work again and TC would turn off automatically.
Memory drive mode sub-feature configuration: Set (was originally not set)
ESC drive mode sub-feature configuration: Set (was originally not set)
Chassis Type: Type 77 (was originally 76)
Super trac pack present: Set (was originally not set)

I then connected to the ABS module and ran the initialization per alfaOBD instructions.

I also think there are some changes to cold launch spark and multiplier tables in the PCM tune but I have yet to get my hands on a stock tune of a manual RT with STP.

This should be something the folks at Zautomotive should take a look at to see if they can add it to the next tazer firmware.

See less See more
1 3
#3 · (Edited)
So I tried disabling TC/Stability by holding the TC button WITHOUT the tazer plugged in and guess what it works! With the tazer ABS would also be disabled and the IP cluster would flash. My performance pages still does not work but instead of saying there is no active subscription it just does nothing when I press the tab in perf. control. I might try a radio reset but my trial traffic/weather/mobile is still active until mid March. Anyways I am pretty excited to get STP/Launch working.

#4 · (Edited)
If you guys don't believe me, below is my window sticker along with a stock read of my BCM and the log of the modified BCM that enabled STP/Launch control. Oh and I still plan on keeping my tazer as I like the line lock and light show but that's about all it gives me (maybe all windows down with the fob but I think that too can be programmed by alfaOBD). Added the ABS read as well.

Attachments

#5 ·
Holy moses!

Ive wanted launch control so bad for so long! Always urks me because my local 1/8th is slightly tilted back! So when im pre loading the clutch im losing my ass lol.

This info is too good to be free chally ide contact Z automotive and work out a deal ;)

#10 ·
If you have a manual RT then the instructions I give should work. Just compare your BCM and ABS reading to the ones I posted and make the changes but don't forget to initialize the ABS module when you are done.
Gonna have to look into this alpha obd tool [emoji848]

So it is able to perform different functions then a regular scanner? Say like a snap-on scanner?

#19 ·
Shift light will probably work, but to be honest, it isn't that fun or easy to see. I have it on my Scat A8 and have used it 2x before deciding it's better to just let the trans do the work, especially in 1st or 2nd. There simply is not enough reaction time unless you set it really low. It also will not light unless you are giving pretty heavy throttle and have the shifter in the M gate no matter what rpm you set it for. When I first played with it, I thought it didn't work because I had it set for 3k and wasn't pushing the throttle hard enough to make it light up.

#13 ·
You know if they would come out with an App for your phone that had the simple menu choices like the TAZER does now in the Evic that ran on your phone and laptop or PC and a new OBD adapter that had blue tooth in it and was priced between the 249 to 279 price range, they could get a new slew of suc....errrr ah customers. :D

Heck I would leave my old one in the trunk (on the bypass) for Line Lock, cool down <<if they ever fix cool down>>, and light show and use the new one with the BT under the dash for making all the new mods.

#12 ·
I have an ELM327 to use with the Torque app, will it work with ALFA OBD? I am planning on getting a laptop after my car gets a cam and tune (HP TUNERS). Gotta have priorities, these other things are nice to play with but I have to get my car if not in the 12's this year, real damn close!

#14 ·

ELM327 - based USB / Bluetooth / WLAN interfaces for PC and bluetooth/WiFi-enabled Android and Windows devices. All CAN units are supported and some of K-Line. Make sure the ELM 327 is of version 1.3 and above.
Warning: There are many suppliers of these interfaces, but not all of sold interfaces are compatible with AlfaOBD!
An ebay interface based on an ELM327 clone might work fine with a bit of luck. But there are lots of defective interfaces sold which can not establish connection to the car ECUs under AlfaOBD. If AlfaOBD displays a message "Interface reports NO DATA" or "Interface reports CAN ERROR" when connecting to the car ECU, this is most probably a sign that you have one of these defective interfaces. Such an interface might work fine with other diagnostic software using OBDII/EOBD protocol, but it can have issues with AlfaOBD because of a different diagnostic protocol used.
It is recommended to use an ELM327 interface tested with AlfaOBD.
For example, the interfaces sold by Electronic-Fuchs.de and Obdauto.fr have been tested for compatibility with AlfaOBD.

#17 ·
Not much info on the radio read if I recall correctly. I actually took reads of all my modules...there is a lot of stuff to go through and some info is not intuitive. Would be nice if members could post their logs along with their build sheet so folks can compare.

#21 ·
My understanding was that the shift light doesn't work on the 160 mph speedo IP's. ChallyTatum (I think) made this comment. And I think the Tazer instructions say it is for SP and up only.

So, to get the shift light to work, we have to figure out how to swap IP's as well. I think.

#23 ·
Yesterday morning Launch Control couldn't be added. I have faith that the shift light can be made to work one way or another. Cluster swaps are already do-able if needed.
But like I said, the shift light is not worth all that trouble.

#38 ·
Not sure what you mean here, are you saying you tried to add launch control to a challenger and it did not work? My guess is it can be added to all RTs/SXTs just need to find the chassis code...although on automatics there might be more. Have yet to see a BCM read of STP and non-STP automatic trans vehicles. As for the shift light, that appears to be an issue with the IP cluster, as far as I can tell. I would love to upgrade to a 180 mph cluster to try but not sure how to handle (don't know if alfaOBD actually can accomplish this) the vin and mileage write.

#27 ·
Hmm so when I get around to getting a lap top and everything else I need, I can unmarry (divorce) my Tazer from my car and hopefully by then we have PP, Launch Control, and who knows what all else working, I can "Turn on" with AlfaOBD and then remarry my Tazer to the car and those will be my "Default" when I unmarry it.

#28 ·
Does line lock work without having to "marry" the Tazer?

#29 ·
I beleive so. You can also go back to a version of Tazer firmware that does not require you to marry to the car or just get a burn box instead of a tazer if you're going to get Alpha OBD anyway and don't want the light shows or button programming, etc.

#31 · (Edited)
So at lunch time my coworker let me read his BCM and ABS on his 2018 SXT+ (not equipped with STP) and it lists the chassis type as 44. Logs and window sticker attached. Without knowning what the chassis type is for an SXT with STP is there no chance of installing launch control. Man I am half tempted to rent challengers to figure this out. :p Also, although the ABS settings are pretty close, the module part number is actually different between a 2015 RT+ and a 2018 SXT+.

BTW there are some differences with the 2018 BCM read-out, one that popped out was a line talking about red key feature being present.

I read the BCM using the MY2015 selection in alfaOBD.

Oh and I tried Zautos feature suggestion link and it did not work to give them the heads-up. Going to try on a different PC when I get home.

Attachments

#45 ·
So at lunch time my coworker let me read his BCM and ABS on his 2018 SXT+ (not equipped with STP) and it lists the chassis type as 44. Logs and window sticker attached. Without knowning what the chassis type is for an SXT with STP is there no chance of installing launch control. Man I am half tempted to rent challengers to figure this out. [emoji14] Also, although the ABS settings are pretty close, the module part number is actually different between a 2015 RT+ and a 2018 SXT+.

BTW there are some differences with the 2018 BCM read-out, one that popped out was a line talking about red key feature being present.

I read the BCM using the MY2015 selection in alfaOBD.

Oh and I tried Zautos feature suggestion link and it did not work to give them the heads-up. Going to try on a different PC when I get home.
If I can read a stock 2018, I can probably provide a read of my 2018 GT, which does have STP. I do have a cheap ELM-327 bluetooth adapter, but don't know if it works with AlfaOBD. Won't hurt to try though.

I'll have to mess with this a little today (damn it, I knew I couldn't resist for very long!). :)

#35 · (Edited)
Took a quick datalog of the engine with launch control activated and as expected throttle torque source goes to RPM limit.

I also messed around with alfaOBD and the rpm set function and VVT test (moves the cam to different positions) work. Was going to see if I could log the cam movement at idle but was too lazy to put the OBDlink in the trunk. Funny you can move the cam at idle by sending the test command to the BCM but if you try to set the cam position at idle RPM range with HP tuners it will not budge.

Correction...it was the ECM that has those tests.

#39 ·
No, I'm saying that before you did it, people would say that adding launch control was impossible. But they were obviously wrong!
The Tazer has a cluster swap function, but I have not tried it. It's in the menu near boost gauge enable.

Gotta keep an open mind with this stuff.

#41 ·
I have a coworker with a 2014 6m RT and I want to look around once I have alfaobd and my obdlink. Late 2013-2014 SRT Challengers had launch control. There is a TSB to add it via a flash. I even test drove a 2013 Core and played with the launch control.

I'll share when I get my stuff.

#42 · (Edited)
Ok so I unmarried the tazer and apparently it undid all my changes with alfaOBD. Mental note, make sure the tazer is unmarried when you make changes with alfaOBD. I also now understand (yes I am slow) that alfaOBD captures all your changes in a log named after the module you are connected to. This is great because you check the BCM system ID before you make any changes which it saves to the log. Then you make your changes, which are also saved to the log, and then you check the BCM system ID so it saves the modified version. At least that is how it works on the PC version. The log is then broken up like this,

Original BCM system ID
-------------------------------
Configuration changes
-------------------------------
New BCM system ID

and it just keeps adding to the log until you clear it. So I made all my changes, including the ones I have the tazer change and all works great. I even set the global windows down (per diboblo's recommendation on LX forum) and the windows go down with the key fob, just like with the tazer.

Now I wonder if I get +2018 (what years had auto up & down?) window modules if the global up will work? -- Scratch that, no challengers with auto up. Just look up the part number...same switch from 2015 to 2019.

#43 ·
Sorry for being a posting whore but I was looking through logs on my JGC and noticed it had tip start enable. I was like what is that? Basically it allows the engine to continue cranking until is starts with just a push and release of the button (foot has to be on the brake though). On manual challengers, you need to press the clutch and hold the start button until the engine starts. I kinda like the idea but not sold on trying it...especially on a manual car. Although on the JGC I sometimes want it disabled...like when the engine has not been run for a while and I just want to prime the motor with oil by holding down the gas pedal. If I do that motor cranks for a pretty long time.

#48 ·
Grabbed a read of the modules I could connect to on a friends 2015 SP A8 he just bought.

Below are the interesting differences (ignoring things like heated seats and such). Note my setting is first, his is second and this is after setting my changes with the Tazer.

BCM

Special packages: No -> Scat
Chassis Type: Type 77 -> V8 530hp 2WD
Electric power steering customer settings menu: Set -> Not Set
Power unit customer setting menu: Not set -> Set
Torque unit customer setting menu: Not set -> Set

Not sure what to think about the special packages, wonder what that does. Hmm..I bet it's the the start up screen setting.

I expected the chassis type to be the same, or at least the same format (Type 78 or something). 530hp??

No idea what the power unit or torque unit are, either, but he has both?

The weird thing about the electric power steering setting is, he doesn't have an option in the UConnect settings, nor the drive modes for sport and default to set his power steering feel. I can set mine to Sport, Normal and Comfort (I think), and run my default in Sport, but his doesn't give the option to change it anywhere. I thought maybe I messed something up reading stuff, but I know I didn't do anything different on his car than on mine reading the BCM, so I don't think so. He didn't really much care, but maybe I can fix it if he wants later.

PCM

ECU Part Number 8228441AC6 -> 5036451AC6
Engine: 5.7 Liter V8 cylinder -> 6.4 Liter 8 Cylinder
Manifold Short Runner Valve (SRV) Equipped: Yes -> No
Transmission Skip Shift Equipped: Yes -> No
O2 sensor 2/1 is in wide range: No -> No
O2 sensor 1/1 is in wide range: No -> No

Interesting thing about the PCM settings, the ECU P/N are different between (at least) an R/T 6M and an SP A8. The SRV setting is as expected, but it might be a step in getting one to work via the PCM instead of the add-on box. Surprised to see a skip shift setting, hoping that would allow me to kill that feature without having to crawl under the car and re-install the part (might know tonight). And the O2 lines are just because someone mentioned they wished they could figure out how the HC runs on wide band sensors and maybe this is part of it.

Also including a read of his ABS module because the PN is different than mine.

Note that his option packages are in the header as printed on the Window Sticker. It's not my car and I am uncomfortable posting documentation with his VIN, so I am hoping this is sufficient.

Attachments

Reactions: ChallyTatum
#146 ·
So I looked up the part number from the scat ABS log and most sites say it is for a 2015 6.4 but on ebay there was an add stating is was for a 2015 SXT? I would attempt to switch my chassis type to match that of the SP but I fear it might brick the ABS module...although knowing me I most likely will say...F it and try it over the weekend.