Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I just changed the batteries in both key fobs for my Challenger today. So I figured, why not take some photos and share them? :D It's pretty easy, and I'm sure most people could figure it out on their own, but what the heck...

Step 1: The FOBIK key fob. Duh!

Step 2: Remove the emergency key from the rest of the fob by sliding the switch to release the key.

Step 3: Using either a small screwdriver or the blade of the emergency key itself, insert the tool into the small slot next to the key slot and pry upwards. This should start the process of splitting the FOBIK into two halves.

Step 4: After the split is started, carefully pull apart the two halves of the FOBIX, starting at the pry spot and working your way towards the tip. This should be fairly easy, but don't force it.

Step 5: Separate the buttons and circuit board out of the back half of the FOBIK. That section should just pull right out.

Step 6: You should now see the battery. NOTICE that it is positive (+) side down. Use the screwdriver, or a fingernail to pry up on the battery on the side away from the metal contacts to remove it from the holder.

You will now see that the battery says CR2032. This is a common battery and is available at most auto stores or anywhere watch batteries are sold. I bought a two pack (for both of my fobs) of Energizer batteries from Walgreens labeled 2032, Don't worry, they are the same thing. I've also seen LB2032, still the same.

Step 7: Install the new battery POSITIVE (+) SIDE DOWN. The battery should slip under the metal clip slightly then drop into its spot.

Step 8: Reassemble the FOBIK in the reverse order you took it apart. First place the button/circuit board section into the back half of the FOBIK. Then place the front half of the FOBIK over the rest of the assembly, pressing the tip part together first. Finally, working your way from the tip to the slotted end press the two halves together, making sure it fully clicks together. Slip the emergency key back into it's spot and you're done!

The whole process only takes 1 or 2 minutes.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Great write up. Thanx for posting.

I hear a little alcohol to clean off the contacts under the rubber buttons is a good thing to do as well. Did you note if the rubber buttons just pull off to reveal the contacts or not?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear a little alcohol to clean off the contacts under the rubber buttons is a good thing to do as well. Did you note if the rubber buttons just pull off to reveal the contacts or not?
I didn't note that, but I just checked (it really is easy to take these apart, but maybe I shouldn't do it so much :p). The rubber buttons come off the circuit board easily, revealing the contacts. Mine looked in good shape with no discoloration or deposits. This may be a precaution to take if your keys have seen water or you live in a moist area. Thanks for making the suggestion.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
Great info....This is part of what makes Challengertalk such a good forum.

Thanks for posting this.....:bigthumb:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great job! Thanks for taking the time to post pictures along with an explanation for each step.

Duster

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excellent instructions, my FOBIK was too sensitive and I was finding the windows rolled down and my vehicle unlocked. Had to re-align the contact point & clean it up for the unlock button and all is well. Thanx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts