Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,842 Posts
Always wash MF separately, using MF detergent. Rough cotton and some other fabrics will degrade your MF. I use currently DI Microfiber Micro-Restore Microfiber Detergent Concentrate - 32 oz , but there are other choices as well. I always soak my towels in hot water and then wring them out and air dry when they are not dirty. Wash them when I've used them a few times detailing. Warm water wash, very low heat dry or air dry (heat can melt the fibers and ruin MF towels). No bleach or fabric softeners, dyes, scents

A Guy

·
Registered
2021 F8 Green Scat Pack Shaker
190 Posts
I only use them for the interior and windows. Occasionally to wipe the bugs off the front fascia. I don't use the to dry the car.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T
43 Posts
Not a detail guru by any means. I wash mine with all my other towels. No fabric softner.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I am hard on my microfibers, but I run through them. I usually hand wash them in the kitchen sink, if they are lightly soiled or have little wax or pollen residue. Newer ones get washed & rinsed after first use. If they get any discoloration where they picked up something from cleaning, if I can't get rid of the discoloration, they are demoted.
They are good for inside doors and glass. Wipe down of seats, they are out of the paint /finish service.
Next stop is to Dodge Ram & Jeep service. Lower areas trims, Chrome bumpers, steering stabilizer boots, shock boots, shocks and moving on down to under the hood cleaning service and last stop oil change service.
They rotate through boxes where i have graded them and depending how many times they have been washed.
interesting I hang mine up to air dry for a day outside. They may pick up pollen then, so older ones are generally not in paint finish service at that point.
Touch screens get new ones about every time. Challenger & Gladiator get new ones on exterior every time. Mini does too.
Best regards
parrott

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
816 Posts
I wash my microfiber towels separately in cold wash and I use All Free/Clear detergent. Then I let them air dry.
I do exactly the same.

I also wash my microfiber wash mitts separate from the microfiber towels. Still use All Free/Clear and no fabric softener.

BTW ... I've read that if you use the real thing ceramic coating products that it's best to not use those towels on your paint in the future as the product can dry into hard crystals. Can you reuse microfiber towels after ceramic coating?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am hard on my microfibers, but I run through them. I usually hand wash them in the kitchen sink, if they are lightly soiled or have little wax or pollen residue. Newer ones get washed & rinsed after first use. If they get any discoloration where they picked up something from cleaning, if I can't get rid of the discoloration, they are demoted.
They are good for inside doors and glass. Wipe down of seats, they are out of the paint /finish service.
Next stop is to Dodge Ram & Jeep service. Lower areas trims, Chrome bumpers, steering stabilizer boots, shock boots, shocks and moving on down to under the hood cleaning service and last stop oil change service.
They rotate through boxes where i have graded them and depending how many times they have been washed.
interesting I hang mine up to air dry for a day outside. They may pick up pollen then, so older ones are generally not in paint finish service at that point.
Touch screens get new ones about every time. Challenger & Gladiator get new ones on exterior every time. Mini does too.
Best regards
parrott
I like your system. I was wondering what to do with discolored or older microfiber towels. I think they all go to areas that are not paint or matte finish. I plan to purchase new ones for the Challenger. I found a starter kit on Autogeek with new towels and the microfiber wash. Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I do exactly the same.

I also wash my microfiber wash mitts separate from the microfiber towels. Still use All Free/Clear and no fabric softener.

BTW ... I've read that if you use the real thing ceramic coating products that it's best to not use those towels on your paint in the future as the product can dry into hard crystals. Can you reuse microfiber towels after ceramic coating?
You can still use them but with limited uses. If you use them for coating leveling immediately throw them in a bucket of diluted high alkaline cleaner and wash separately. You can then designate them for some interior uses or around the engine bay. After engine bay use I usually toss them because that's usually one of the dirtier areas with all the oil and grease.

For washing as others noted: Cold water, Free and Clear soap (no softeners) or use dedicated microfiber cleaner but I prefer Free and Clear. If you need an extra boost of cleaning just add a bit of distilled vinegar to the fabric softener tray. Dry on the lowest setting or air dry.

I wash my towels separate from each other's depending on their duty. General towels get washed together, polish or wax removal together, drying towels together, etc. I inspect every towel prior to cleaning to remove anything that might cross contaminate. I also clean out the washing machine fabric softener tray because fabric softeners tends to create a thick film in the tray.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Yes, no fabric softener. It leaves a film on anything to wipe with it. :(

·
Registered
172 Posts
I use mine for interior leather, plastic & window cleaning only. I rinse the chemicals off with the hose & let them air dry.

·
Super Moderator
16,853 Posts
I have some extra plush / fluffy MF towels that are intended for cleaning using water-less car cleaning product.

I use that product for touch-ups (car had been washed @ home) after driving longer distances for a show.
-inevitably there's road dust, brake dust that has an electrostatic charge and stuck to the sides of the car. I've even had dry grass or hay (stuck behind a truck hauling bales of hay) stuck to the sides.

So those load up with grime - I'll presoak those in Oxyclean, then they get washed with towels or other clothes - and I always run those in the Air Dry setting with the dryer.

If its a small batch of MF towels, I've flat dried them as well.

I use a car / motorcycle forced air dryer (looks like a small canister vacuum) that has two levels of air volume and has the option of 2 levels of heated air - and only have to use a MF towel for some small water droplets - that way I avoid rubbing the paint

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
You can't go wrong with Griots. IMO.
My son, who works in the automotive retail, swears by it.

Reactions: 20BLASTOFF10
1 - 16 of 16 Posts