Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the Low-Gloss Black Wheels. After reading all the sh** that happens to these wheels when cleaning them with wheel cleaner....or anything other than car wash, my question is How should you clean the tires? The tire/wheel cleaner will certainly run onto the wheels. And I'm not gonna spend time masking the wheels every time i detail!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts
If your tires aren't neglected, your car shampoo and a scrub brush might well do the job. Your wheels should be wet when you are cleaning the tires anyway, and they should be cool before you start

If you want to use a tire cleaner, just make sure to use something that is wheel safe. In fact, many wheel cleaners do great double duty. Something like Sonax Full Effect will do a great job on wheels, is pH balanced, and contains no acids. It will also do a great job on tires

This got a high review from this detailer

It could also double as a wheel cleaner

Just don't let any cleaner, t/re or wheel, dry on the wheels. Start with cool, wet wheels, and you'll be fine

A Guy

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your tires aren't neglected, your car shampoo and a scrub brush might well do the job. Your wheels should be wet when you are cleaning the tires anyway, and they should be cool before you start

If you want to use a tire cleaner, just make sure to use something that is wheel safe. In fact, many wheel cleaners do great double duty. Something like Sonax Full Effect will do a great job on wheels, is pH balanced, and contains no acids. It will also do a great job on tires

This got a high review from this detailer

It could also double as a wheel cleaner

Just don't let any cleaner, t/re or wheel, dry on the wheels. Start with cool, wet wheels, and you'll be fine

A Guy
Thanks for the info...good stuff!
I usually use either Griot's Garage or Black Fire W&T Cleaner. Both great products, with no acids. But as I said, afraid to use anything other than car wash after what I've read.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts
I reading, either of those would be good. Same caveats, just don't let them dwell a long time and make sure wheels are cool

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
13,708 Posts
I use Meguiars Hot Shine Tire Foam. You can apply it with a contoured sponge applicator. It does a great job cleaning the tires and doesn't affect the wheels.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am an Adam's fan through-and-through, And this stuff works great. And all of their products come with tutorials.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use a pressure washer on the tires pre wash as my wife tends to rub them on curbs which leaves them with brownis discoloration. Hit em with the PW and they are back in black......

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Looks great (y)

A Guy

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use Meguiars Hot Shine Tire Foam. You can apply it with a contoured sponge applicator. It does a great job cleaning the tires and doesn't affect the wheels.

View attachment 988080
I have the same set up and those gels with that sponge are definitely the best for tires. Just clean the tims first, I rock 5 spoke and they are the easiest to clean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts