Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: FOUND IT! See below

---
Original Post:

Several threads discussing the ease that thieves have gaining access to our beloved Challengers and driving them away has me concerned and proactive to prevent this.

One measure it to disable the passive entry entirely (and remove the push button start, which is very simple just by prying it off).

But I spent at least 2 hours tonight trying to figure out how to disable the passive entry with no luck. Anyone have the information? Or is this a trip to the dealership?

----
Update: It's on the dashboard. Cycle thru the various options and you can disable the passive entry keyless entry 'n go feature.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,695 Posts
Starts on page 202 Personal Settings (Customer-Programmable Features)

A Guy

Attachments

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
444 Posts
I was going to try and take it a step further. Recently during a bout of weight reduction I discovered where the modules are that recognize the fob (see video below). This weekend I'm going to try and unplug them entirely and see what happens, if I can still start my car and if any codes pop up because of it. I already have OCD about my car anytime its outside so if this works the peace of mind would be more than worth it to not have remote start or have to use the manual key all the time.

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,705 Posts
Remote start is unrelated to passive entry (I know on some years, I only assume so on all). You can probably disable passive entry, and still keep remote start option.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
This is great, I never thought of this. My wife likes this idea better than taking the keys for all 3 vehicles out of her purse and putting them in a Faraday Box. Me, my keys are always in a drawer when I am in the house anyway. (Women)..........

Since my 2015 Challenger is always in the garage I don't need to do anything with it. :D

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
444 Posts
Remote start is unrelated to passive entry (I know on some years, I only assume so on all). You can probably disable passive entry, and still keep remote start option.
I don't know for sure, I just know that when I looked up what those modules were, the one that plugs into the rfhub is listed as being an antenna for both remote start and keyless entry

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,705 Posts
I don't know for sure, I just know that when I looked up what those modules were, the one that plugs into the rfhub is listed as being an antenna for both remote start and keyless entry

Maybe I should clarify what I think. I Think that the passive entry parts that allow for ENTRY, to the doors/trunk, can be removed/disabled without affecting the remote start. But for the newer (2014+??) without the old key fobik thingy that could be inserted into the dash after popping the button out, might be all in 1 unit. Like the old WIN unit was part of the ignition switch module.

Reactions: gouge93

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
380 Posts
I was going to try and take it a step further. Recently during a bout of weight reduction I discovered where the modules are that recognize the fob (see video below). This weekend I'm going to try and unplug them entirely and see what happens, if I can still start my car and if any codes pop up because of it. I already have OCD about my car anytime its outside so if this works the peace of mind would be more than worth it to not have remote start or have to use the manual key all the time.
Just remember the car has an anti-theft lock out... not that it works, but disconnecting something like that might lock it up.

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101. 2005 Dodge Magnum RT AWD
562 Posts
Just remember the car has an anti-theft lock out... not that it works, but disconnecting something like that might lock it up.
maybe try doing it in the parking lot of your favorite dealership.

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
444 Posts
Well, if that happens I guess I'll just do the other theft trick... pull the lever to put it in Neutral and drag it to the dealer! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,766 Posts
If you don't want anyone stealing your car, just add a switch (in a location only you know) to create an open circuit in one of the can bus lines leading to the BCM. Last summer I accidently shorted the lines together and my car was completely dead...had +12v but nothing...I mean nothing responded...keyfob, lights...etc.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,695 Posts
Well, he did say he found it :)

A Guy

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In fairness the instructions in the manual were/are hard to find and extremely vague. The manual spends 30 pages telling you how to use a compact disc, but nary a few vague sentences on how to disable the keyless 'n go. Took me far longer than it should have to get it sorted...

Here's a clear set of instructions.
1. It's on the dashboard with other performance features under "Personal Settings."
2. Use the steering wheel controls to cycle thru all the options to locate it.
3. Turn off the feature.

I was looking in the wrong location for a long time.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Although I'm new to learning how a FOB works, in relation car theft, here's an idea....

Standing out of range to your car, take the battery out of your FOB.
Walk towards your car, only with the FOB that has a removed battery.
Pull out the key and enter your car.
Just like you would normally start your car by pressing the brake and pressing the button, instead of using your finger to push the button, put your key up against the ignition button while stepping on the brake. Supposely there's a chip inside the FOB which will tell the car to start.
The car should start.

If you're worried about someone grabbing the signal to your FOB, just leave the battery out of the FOB and put inside a container somewhere. This should prevent a thief from stealing the signal.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Although I'm new to learning how a FOB works, in relation car theft, here's an idea....

Just like you would normally start your car by pressing the brake and pressing the button, instead of using your finger to push the button, put your key up against the ignition button while stepping on the brake. Supposely there's a chip inside the FOB which will tell the car to start.
The car should start.

If you're worried about someone grabbing the signal to your FOB, just leave the battery out of the FOB and put inside a container somewhere. This should prevent a thief from stealing the signal.
If the battery is out, what is powering the "chip" to send the start signal to the car's computer?
Just wondering. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Proximity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

The car should start.

Oh that's super convenient....

How about Dodge just actually make a real security system that works. This is practically worse than just a old fashioned metal key. At least a crook needed some skill to steal a car in the 1970s, and some risk involved.

Now they need a $20 scan tool from Ebay... steal your code and just drive off.

I understand newer ones are getting a pin code on the vehicle, which is at least good for now until that can be hacked.

How is it these security folks cannot create a actual good system?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts