Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! My son just bought his 1st new car - a 2010 se & he's psyched!! He keeps inadvertently popping open the trunk when the key fob is in his pocket. Anyone know of any way we can disable this feature? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
I took my FOB apart and put scotch tape over the contacts for the trunk release button.

no more randomly open trunk.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
He should probably figure out a different way of carrying the fob, too. If he's popping the trunk, he's probably also locking and unlocking the doors, and occasionally starting the car is possible, too. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He should probably figure out a different way of carrying the fob, too. If he's popping the trunk, he's probably also locking and unlocking the doors, and occasionally starting the car is possible, too. Don't ask me how I know.
Good point & I won't ask how you know! I suggested he wrap it in aluminum foil. Hopefully that'll work. Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,699 Posts
Good point & I won't ask how you know! I suggested he wrap it in aluminum foil. Hopefully that'll work. Thanks :)
I was going to suggest the same thing, except you don't want to use foil, as that will conduct the electrical charge even better than the metal tab in there. I would suggest something like a thin slice of paper or similarly non-conductive material.

Spoiler Alert: if he can just endure it a little longer, those little metal tabs in there will eventually work themselves loose from the rubber landing spots and the respective button will stop working all together. The first one to go is always the most used, which is the unlock button for most of us. Then as more and more pressure is applied in an attempt to get the fob to work (not realizing that's just making it work loose even quicker), the surrounding buttons will stop working. The usual failure sequence is Unlock -> Lock -> Trunk, but I've also seen them go out in the opposite order, Trunk -> Lock -> Unlock.

It's inevitable with these fobs unfortunately, and they are expensive little suckers to have replaced, so keep that in mind.

Personally, I couldn't justify paying $200 for the ability to get into my own car and lock it from a distance, so once my fobs both stopped working from their tabs scattering, I just unhooked the horns on the car and now use the valet key to unlock the doors and lock them manually from the door panel as I am getting out. I can only open the trunk with the button on the dash, but I'm fine with that.

Oh yeah, the reason for unhooking the horns is that unlocking your locked car with the valet key causes the alarm to go off. It stops once you put the fob into the ignition spot, but that can take several seconds in between unlocking and getting the fob in place to cease the noise. So I just unhooked the horns so that even though the alarm is going off, you can't hear it. >:)

·
Premium Member
7,699 Posts
Try a faraday bag.
There's a bunch of pimple-faced college grads up here at work that love those things...personally, I cannot stand them, I mean once you get down onto them and get comfertable, then you won't be able to get out of them and back onto your feet without someone helping lift you up!

Who needs that kind of aggravation in their daily lives?!?!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
There's a bunch of pimple-faced college grads up here at work that love those things...personally, I cannot stand them, I mean once you get down onto them and get comfertable, then you won't be able to get out of them and back onto your feet without someone helping lift you up!

Who needs that kind of aggravation in their daily lives?!?!
The small kind, not a bodybag, lol.

·
Premium Member
7,699 Posts
Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.
Mmmmm potatoes...

<drool, drool>

Anyone else hungry all of a sudden???

I am...in fact, I'm so hungry, I could eat a horse: :deadhorse:

AHAHAHA!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good point & I won't ask how you know! I suggested he wrap it in aluminum foil. Hopefully that'll work. Thanks
I was going to suggest the same thing, except you don't want to use foil, as that will conduct the electrical charge even better than the metal tab in there. I would suggest something like a thin slice of paper or similarly non-conductive material.

Spoiler Alert: if he can just endure it a little longer, those little metal tabs in there will eventually work themselves loose from the rubber landing spots and the respective button will stop working all together. The first one to go is always the most used, which is the unlock button for most of us. Then as more and more pressure is applied in an attempt to get the fob to work (not realizing that's just making it work loose even quicker), the surrounding buttons will stop working. The usual failure sequence is Unlock -> Lock -> Trunk, but I've also seen them go out in the opposite order, Trunk -> Lock -> Unlock.

It's inevitable with these fobs unfortunately, and they are expensive little suckers to have replaced, so keep that in mind.

Personally, I couldn't justify paying $200 for the ability to get into my own car and lock it from a distance, so once my fobs both stopped working from their tabs scattering, I just unhooked the horns on the car and now use the valet key to unlock the doors and lock them manually from the door panel as I am getting out. I can only open the trunk with the button on the dash, but I'm fine with that.

Oh yeah, the reason for unhooking the horns is that unlocking your locked car with the valet key causes the alarm to go off. It stops once you put the fob into the ignition spot, but that can take several seconds in between unlocking and getting the fob in place to cease the noise. So I just unhooked the horns so that even though the alarm is going off, you can't hear it.
It's a 2010 so doesn't sound like he'll have a working key fob for much longer. I'll try the paper over the contact. Put tape on it earlier. Thanks for the helpful info :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
My life style makes it so I can do this: Took the key out of the fob and put in on my key chain. I leave the fob hidden in the car and use the key to let myself in. I use the button on the arm rest to lock it when I get out, after I hide my fob away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts