Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2010 R/T (that I have) has hard plastic backs to the seats and a mechanically operated lever arm to adjust the lumbar support. My driver-side lumbar support (operated by mechanical lever) was broken. The fix was quick and simple but I was unable to find any beta online so I figured I'd post a solution in case others had the same issue. Also note this will work for the passenger side as well.

The back panel is held on by two screws at the bottom of the seat-back and two clips about midway up on either side. You will want to disconnect the small light that illuminates the back of the seat (the new things you find about your car while sitting in the back seat!) and set the cover aside.

Removing this panel will reveal the lower back support mechanism - it consists of a plastic 'rib-cage' that is attached to metal tracks. The lever arm that you control while sitting in the seat is supposed to compress the 'rib-cage' forcing it to arch forward and give you more support. Similar to a truck lever or the brakes on a bicycle, moving the lever arm causes a cable to move within a plastic sheath. The sheath is attached to the top of the rib-cage and the cable to a see-saw structure which in turn causes a J-shaped piece of metal to pull up on the bottom of the plastic. So by rotating the lever arm forward the rib-cage compresses.

Unfortunately, they designed the highest load bearing part out of a thin piece of plastic. This is where mine broke if this is where yours broke also you are in luck. You have a few options at this point and two are very simple. The first is just to latch the J-shaped piece of metal around the metal bar that runs horizontally at the base of the rib-cage. To do this you'll want to push down from the top of the rib-cage until you can catch the dimple in the horizontal metal bar. The downside to this method is that now there will always be a 'little-extra' back support since you've effectively shortened the rib-cage by attaching the J-shaped piece of metal a little lower than it was designed (maybe by 3/4-inch). If you don't like this, another simple solution is to create what amounts to a single chain-link out of some wire to join the J-shaped piece of metal to the dimple in the horizontal metal bar. If you get confused as to how it "should" look, you can always remove the passenger side since they are virtually identical for this particular mechanism.

In as much time as it takes for you to move the seat forward to get in the back seat, unscrew two screws and re-latch what is tensioned by a spring you can fix your own lumbar support.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts