Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a few days parked I found I have a packrat nested in my engine. Thankfully no apparent serious damage, but in just under a week the little monster made a big filthy nest on top of my engine and tore off some of the hood insulation. So far no apparent damage to wiring or rubber.

At least one, maybe more. It/they are tucked up in the hollow front bumper cavity. I set out a live trap with food but no luck. I did a start to cleaning up the nest and put a dummy rubber snake on top of my engine. In a tough spot because I know killing him in there could cause me to have to retrieve him, but leaving him alive risks significant wiring damage.

I finally got a view of him and nailed him in the head with a BB gun. Wasn't sure if I hit him but the blood trail this morning shows I did. Anyway, I think it's dead in there.
In hindsight I should have gotten a barn-cat and put him under there!

Question is how hard is it going to be to get him out of there. Smelly, messy, and powerwashing the plastic areas is going to be needed. I'm thinking getting it up on ramps, and I should be able to access it to clean it. Then detail the engine (no power washing of engine of course). I don't think this is an insurance claim (yet) and my deductible is $1000... suggestions on this, and prevention?

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
A video like this will help you get an idea of what's behind the bumper area, and how to remove the front fascia.

Reactions: Dodgenovice

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Your deductible on comprehensive claims is $1000. No offense, but that's insane. I carry $0 for comprehensive. Adds like $20 every 6 months to my bill. But I am fully covered for things that happen out of my control (which seems to be just about everything). Prevention? Put a couple bars of Irish Spring under the front of the car. They hate the smell (and so do I).

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your deductible on comprehensive claims is $1000. No offense, but that's insane. I carry $0 for comprehensive. Adds like $20 every 6 months to my bill. But I am fully covered for things that happen out of my control (which seems to be just about everything). Prevention? Put a couple bars of Irish Spring under the front of the car. They hate the smell (and so do I).
I misquoted my rate, it's $100 for comprehensive but I'm not sure if I'm going to file a claim. I'm not sure how that impacts my claim-free discounts. I probably won't unless there is a dead rat in the bumper and I cannot get him out. I'm not sure if he's there or if he fled mortally wounded. I just cleaned all the blood/vomit and urine that was on the air dam, and it was pretty gross. I'll vacuum the rest of the nest from the top of the engine area, and clean it thoroughly. That can be done in an hour or two.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I misquoted my rate, it's $100 for comprehensive but I'm not sure if I'm going to file a claim. I'm not sure how that impacts my claim-free discounts. I probably won't unless there is a dead rat in the bumper and I cannot get him out. I'm not sure if he's there or if he fled mortally wounded. I just cleaned all the blood/vomit and urine that was on the air dam, and it was pretty gross. I'll vacuum the rest of the nest from the top of the engine area, and clean it thoroughly. That can be done in an hour or two.
Oh, yes, that's more what I would expect. Can you get one of these in there for a look?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$100 deductible. I think I'm going to file a claim. There is some, minor damage to the hood insulation. My time, and cleaning time and expenses, plus the disgusting hassles to sterilize and clean it... and any hidden damage like chewed wires etc. along with any warranties of work done probably make this a claim worthy of $100.

I really don't want to deal with a dead rat and all the body fluids up in there...

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
1,049 Posts
When rats die they flatten out. It'll just be a stiff dried up flat rat. Put on some gloves and pull it out if you can get to it.

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Challenger T/A B5 Blue
51 Posts
Peppermint oil is the only thing I've had work and I've tried just about everything. Had to leave my 2005 Mustang GT in the woods for a couple of years before I built my pole barn, same thing as you the mice and other critters had a field day with it, everyday. Peppermint oil seemed to work, nothing else did. Just don't overdo it, or you'll be smelling peppermint all summer long.

Also, taking off the front bumper is a PITA, some porter dingus rammed the lower front spoiler on my T/A in to a parking block when I took it for service. The dealership replaced it and took it in again I waited for it, it wasn't right, I had them redo it, gap was too large. Anyways, I got to the dealership at 10 AM and didn't get out till 5:30 PM. They said it would "only" take an hour and they're suppose to know what they're doing. Of course by that time it started raining and I had to drive home in the rain, the first time the T/A saw rain, which is a miracle in Michigan. Oh, ya I have to drive 2-3 miles on gravel roads to get home. Ok, enough whining today.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Moth balls work too. At least on squirrels

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
2,206 Posts
Mice will eat Irish Spring soap, at least the mice in Virginia do. Neither Irish spring soap or moth balls kept mice out of my vettes. Good luck with the clean up👍

·
Registered
332 Posts
$100 deductible. I think I'm going to file a claim. There is some, minor damage to the hood insulation. My time, and cleaning time and expenses, plus the disgusting hassles to sterilize and clean it... and any hidden damage like chewed wires etc. along with any warranties of work done probably make this a claim worthy of $100.

I really don't want to deal with a dead rat and all the body fluids up in there...
As my dad used to tell me..."Toughen up butter cup"

·
Registered
7,395 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update, it's probably covered under Comprehensive, but autobody shops seem to be booked out 3-6 plus weeks!!!! Apparently parts shortages plus everyone fixing up old cars to keep them running longer has caused a serious backlog logjam. Unbelievable.

Hopefully, since I don't need any parts other than a new hood liner, which is not urgent, I can get in and done in an afternoon; moved to the front due to the urgency of getting a dead rodent out to mitigate damage.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As my dad used to tell me..."Toughen up butter cup"
Sure bud. I'm hard, don't you worry. Doesn't mean I enjoy killing, or taking dead animals out of tight crevasses. I had to remove 7 dead birds who nested in the microwave exhaust area in my house. They got in but couldn't get out. It was putrid.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
9,040 Posts
Update, it's probably covered under Comprehensive, but autobody shops seem to be booked out 3-6 plus weeks!!!! Apparently parts shortages plus everyone fixing up old cars to keep them running longer has caused a serious backlog logjam. Unbelievable.

Hopefully, since I don't need any parts other than a new hood liner, which is not urgent, I can get in and done in an afternoon; moved to the front due to the urgency of getting a dead rodent out to mitigate damage.
I removed the hood liner on my car. It really does not do anything.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts